Now I know these threads can be quite annoying but I need some help and advice.

I'm looking to sell my DSL. Budget is about £900.

Favourite artists: Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, RHCP, John Frusciante, Beatles, Zeppelin, Smiths, Cribs, Arctic Monkeys, Strokes, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai.

So basically what I'm looking for is an amp that can handle my blues/funk/blues-rock/rock-rock/modern-rock/indie-rock/minimal-alternative/alternative needs.

In terms how how much I devote my time to - I'd say it's about 50% blues and blues rock, 30% indie/modern rock and the rest is the others.

I was mainly looking at the Fender Deluxe Reverb and the Vox AC30.

Part of the reason I'm selling my Marshall is that the clean channel is not exactly what I want. I want something a bit cleaner which I know these two can do. Also it has two drive channels that I never use. I just want to utilise the tones I get from the TS9/Fuzz than go messing around with amp drive. It's just not a priority.

Want 20W or more.

I will be trying both out extensively after my exams but I was wondering what people think of these and/or other amps in that price range which fit the bill.

If people could comment on tone/features/reliability/value etc that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Duv.
Last edited by Duv at May 30, 2010,
I would definately go with the Vox AC30. Get the C2 version instead of the CC2 version. As I have heard that the newer C2 Versions are better quality. And spead the rest of the money on an Alnico Blue SPeaker.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
another option might be two amps- you could probably pick up a marshall 18 watt clone and something pretty fendery for around your budget, too. Might be worth considering. though obviously it's a lot more bother than one amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, well seems people are more in favour of the AC30. If i'm honest I was leaning towards the Deluxe Reverb. Tone wise I should probably clarify that I love SRV's tone and what I'd mainly be looking for is a good solid clean which will break up at home-volumes and on which I could build a tailored drive sound. For this reason the fact that the DR is of a lower wattage and 'quieter' than the AC30 I figured I'd be able to get more break up at a reasonable volume level. Also given that the DR claims to be one of the most recorded amps of all time it seems to have decent variety.

Quote by Dave_Mc
another option might be two amps- you could probably pick up a marshall 18 watt clone and something pretty fendery for around your budget, too. Might be worth considering. though obviously it's a lot more bother than one amp.

I don't think two amps is an option. As things stand I don't get enough time to play my 'main' amp so this will just divide my time further.

One of my main issues with the AC30 is that people seem to be claiming that they're made badly/made of plywood and aren't as reliable. If i'm sinking £800odd in an amp I don't want it to be riddled with issues. Plus the whole loudness thing. Is this fair? Would a DR have comparable issues?

I still think I'm torn and the only thing swaying me towards the DR more at the moment is the loudness.
Well if you're looking for clean channel breakup at home volumes, either of those is way too loud. I can just barely get my 5w to start breaking up at reasonable volumes, def no serious breakup without getting complaints. so I hope you have a big home with no cranky neighbors close by.

so... yeah. just a note
plywood is ok, mdf/particleboard/papier mache is the problem. certainly the newer ac30s are the latter (not sure about the custom classic series). It's not even that big a problem if the amp is fairly cheap (i bought a vht special 6 which has an MDF cabinet, but then it was £100, not £800), but for much more than about £100-£150 (unless it has speaker-outs so you can use it with an external cab), I don't see why you'd put up with it, there are plenty of amps around that price with good plywood cabs.

As joseph/conan says, 22 watts (that's a DR, right?) is going to be loud. A vox ac30 is going to be mental loud before it breaks up. I haven't tried a DR, but I have an 18 watt marshall clone (and that thing has NO HEADROOM WHATSOEVER) and it's effing loud before it breaks up. I also have a couple of 5 watters, and they're only crankable at home volume if you don't share any walls with neighbours (and you stand outside the room with a long lead).

I think you want something with power scaling or VVR. you might have to either get something custom-built or get it added afterwards by an amp tech, though (which'll be more money, and which'll void your warranty).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
plywood is ok, mdf/particleboard/papier mache is the problem. certainly the newer ac30s are the latter (not sure about the custom classic series). It's not even that big a problem if the amp is fairly cheap (i bought a vht special 6 which has an MDF cabinet, but then it was £100, not £800), but for much more than about £100-£150 (unless it has speaker-outs so you can use it with an external cab), I don't see why you'd put up with it, there are plenty of amps around that price with good plywood cabs.

As joseph/conan says, 22 watts (that's a DR, right?) is going to be loud. A vox ac30 is going to be mental loud before it breaks up. I haven't tried a DR, but I have an 18 watt marshall clone (and that thing has NO HEADROOM WHATSOEVER) and it's effing loud before it breaks up. I also have a couple of 5 watters, and they're only crankable at home volume if you don't share any walls with neighbours (and you stand outside the room with a long lead).

I think you want something with power scaling or VVR. you might have to either get something custom-built or get it added afterwards by an amp tech, though (which'll be more money, and which'll void your warranty).

Fair. To be honest at home it's a big house, my neighbour is an ass so I don't mind pissing him off, so noise isn't much of a problem. I can easily play the 40W DSL at about 6/7 without annoying anyone.

What I've heard about the DR is that people say it is a 'quiet' 22W, while the AC30 is a 'loud' 33/22W. Testimonials on the DR suggest that because of this reason there isn't too much headroom. The Vox on the other hand sounds like it will be sparkly clean at the kind of volumes I want. Also those build quality/components issues seem ridiculous on a series of amps that are pushing up to a grand and even more.

I guess when I'm back in Birmingham I'll just have to do the rounds and try them both out thoroughly.

What I was looking for though was whether anyone had any significant reasons to buy/to not buy either of these amps. I know they're both popular but the people of UG seem more in the know about the kind of issues you wouldn't pick up in a brochure/talking to store monkeys. Are DRs haunted from being built on a factory that is on an ancient indian burial ground? Does the AC30 call you names when your back's turned? (but on serious issues).
yeah, i think most amps around 20 watts or so aren't going to have a ton of headroom, but it's still going to be more than enough headroom for home use. As I said, I haven't tried a deluxe reverb, but it has the rep (i think) of having a bit more than a tweed deluxe (haven't tried that either). EDIT: I think I've heard that too about both the DR and ac30 (being "quiet" and "loud" examples of their respective wattages).

If you want SRV tone you want to be going for something Fendery, I'd have thought. My 18 watt clone doesn't really sound like SRV, and it's not a million miles from an AC30 in terms of tone (it's marshally, but it has a bit of vox in there too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah deluxe reverb is pretty loud for a 22w. however, you can't compare loud/quiet unless you crank the amps. some volume controls are set differently, so one amp at 4, is not gonna be the same environment at another amp at 8. there are voltage dividers that reduce the preamp's output HEAVILY on some models.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yeah deluxe reverb is pretty loud for a 22w. however, you can't compare loud/quiet unless you crank the amps. some volume controls are set differently, so one amp at 4, is not gonna be the same environment at another amp at 8. there are voltage dividers that reduce the preamp's output HEAVILY on some models.

agreed, but generally speaking they say that the DR is quiet for a 22W amp, some even saying it's more like 16W.

And isn't loudness also affected by the efficiency of the speaker. I couldn't comment on that though.
yes. i think it comes stock with a jensen, assuming jensen rates its speakers the same as everyone else then, yeah, they're quite a bit lower in efficiency than a lot of modern speakers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?