Hey guys,

I've never posted in here before, as I am entirely new to all forms of guitar customising.

What brings me here now is I'm looking to repaint my Epiphone Explorer bass, but I have no idea where to start.

Basically atm it is gloss black, probably the original paint job. It's pretty damn scratched as I brought it third hand.
I'm hoping to paint it a dark red if possible, but I don't really have any equipment such as sanders, or indeed the paint.

So, my question is, would it be simpler to just touch up the existing paint, or is it worth going through all the trouble to paint it dark red, and if so, how should I go about this?

Really I would prefer it dark red, but I'm very happy with it in black, and really don't mind if that's how it ends up.

Cheers in advance
It would definitely be easier to touch up, but you will be happier refinishing it, i can guarantee. As for paint and sanders, paint is relatively cheap, as is sandpaper, but a drill attatchment or something will help speed things up a lot, but is not essential. Just take your time if you refinish, read all the tutorials in the ultimate refinishing thread and it'll work out fine. On my first time the only thing i messed up was the final clear coat, which can be wet sanded back and put on again easily. (i was a little too impatient, and the lacquer hadnt fully hardened, as a result there are many fingerprints and marks and stuff, just wait until it's hardened fully!)
Ask in the ultimate refinishing thread and they will help you, and can recommend paint and stuff. Its relatively cheap, and you will be very happy with the results!
Quote by benonbass1
Hey guys,

I've never posted in here before, as I am entirely new to all forms of guitar customising.

What brings me here now is I'm looking to repaint my Epiphone Explorer bass, but I have no idea where to start.

Basically atm it is gloss black, probably the original paint job. It's pretty damn scratched as I brought it third hand.
I'm hoping to paint it a dark red if possible, but I don't really have any equipment such as sanders, or indeed the paint.

So, my question is, would it be simpler to just touch up the existing paint, or is it worth going through all the trouble to paint it dark red, and if so, how should I go about this?

Really I would prefer it dark red, but I'm very happy with it in black, and really don't mind if that's how it ends up.

Cheers in advance

Are the scratches just in the paint or lacquer, or do they go through it to the wood or undercoat?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Are the scratches just in the paint or lacquer, or do they go through it to the wood or undercoat?

Some places all the way through, there are some pretty major knocks on it.

Cheers minnis, that was exactly the sort of advice I was looking for
To explore the touch-up option, you can check out Duplicolor's Repair Kit, available at most AUto Supply shops. It comes with a paint pen and Clearcoat, ideal for slight dents and scratches.

You're in luck since Black is always available.

As far as refinishing it in Dark Red, the 2 main requirements are:
  • Opposable thumbs
  • Grade 3-level reading and comprehension.

Good Luck!