Poll: How important are career prospects when choosing a university course?
Poll Options
View poll results: How important are career prospects when choosing a university course?
Extremely important
12 18%
Very important
21 31%
Moderately important
21 31%
Not that important
8 12%
Not important at all
6 9%
Voters: 68.
I ask people about their university courses, and what kinds of careers they would like to pursue after they get their degree. I do this because I don't know much about the different courses, and I am curious.

Some people take this the wrong way and assume that I think that money is everything in life, which is not what I believe, but I do think it's pretty darn important if you want to live comfortably.

I understand that if you're gonna devote a lot of time and effort to a particular subject, then you might as well pick something you're interested in. That makes perfect sense.

But at the same time, job opportunities are pretty important to me. If your degree can help you acquire jobs and let you live without having to starve, then why refuse that opportunity?

So my question to The Pit is:
How important were career prospects to you when choosing your university course?
Feel free to explain your reasoning.

Poll up shortly
Last edited by sashki at May 29, 2010,
You go to uni to get the qualifications in a degree you eventually want a career in, so yeah, important.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

The a-levels I took left me with 3 choices for a degree
Performing Arts based
Business/finance based
Mathematics

There's not much of a career in performing arts unless you go to a performing arts college, not just a university. I don't like business or finance.
Mathematics is pretty much the ultimate degree. If I want to work in business or finance then a maths degree is more than acceptable, can also go into some kind of scientific based job. It looks fantastic on a CV too. And If I jsut wanted to work in Tesco for the rest of my life, well there's nothing stopping me doing that either.

It's pretty important. If you choose a degree like Media Studies don't be surprised when you graduate that you can't get a job.
You don't need a degree in the arts to become an artist after all.

Unless you want to be an English or history teacher, a science based degree will give you the best career prospects.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Well, if all I was worried about was job prospects, I probably wouldn't have went to school for history.

But now I have a degree. So we'll see where I go from here. I want to work for the government if I can. Eventually I'd like to teach at the university level, but that will require going to graduate school.
Quote by daytripper75
Well, if all I was worried about was job prospects, I probably wouldn't have went to school for history.

But now I have a degree. So we'll see where I go from here. I want to work for the government if I can. Eventually I'd like to teach at the university level, but that will require going to graduate school.

But what exactly will you be doing for the government with a history degree?

v LOL
Last edited by metaldud536 at May 29, 2010,
Quote by metaldud536
But what exactly will you be doing for the government with a history degree?

It depends what part of the government I would work for. The State Department uses historians to compile and edit volumes of foreign relations documents so that they can publish them.

That's just one example.

Think of all the historic sites you can visit around the country. Someone has to do the research and writing for those.
Who goes to college not thinking about there career?

I'm sure most people don't have $100,000 to throw down the drain,
I'm going on to read history, I haven't thought at all about what job that may land me, I'm planning on simply getting as great a degree possible and see what happens. I love my subject, that's the main thing.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by darkcheef

Depends where you live. The UK have wonderful things called student loans. Or at least they would be wonderful if the company managing them weren't so shit and they'd actually give the payments on time etc.
Quote by Renka

It's relative to the major you choose.

If you choose Premed then yes, it's very important.

If you choose business then no, you can do pretty much anything with that.
XBL Gamertag: SealCubs
Its more of a coincidence that my degree is generally considered to have very good job prospects, i really enjoy it and thats what made me want to do it.

But i would never take a degree that didnt have some sort of decent career prospects.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I'm sure it's important to a lot of people but I don't have any career prospects so it hasn't affected my decision at all.
exactly this
Some, but I chose something I'll enjoy doing for the rest of my life, otherwise, no (reasonable) ammount of money would make up for it.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
It depends. Do you have a true passion on something, do you have something that you wish to spend the rest of your life doing, no matter what? Then no, screw career and money, do what you love.

Otherwise, if you have to do something you don't like that much, at least do something that pays well
If you care more about employment than the pursuit and appreciation of knowledge, get the **** out of my institutions of higher learning.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
If you care more about employment than the pursuit and appreciation of knowledge, get the **** out of my institutions of higher learning.

Quote by darkcheef

Yea...
Quote by metaldud536
Yea...

You don't need to go to university to get a job.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by metaldud536
Yea...

Well, to be fair, the USA is awful for that sort of thing.

Though we are catching up, slowly.
Quote by freddaahh
You don't need to go to university to get a job.

And you also don't need to go to university to learn a lot of things. But your chances for landing a job are higher if you have a degree. Any degree.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Well, to be fair, the USA is awful for that sort of thing.

Though we are catching up, slowly.

Pagan-Pie

We
Quote by darkcheef

We don't all live in the US, here in Portugal college is 1000 $ a year
If you care about employment, make mad connections while you can. If you want something to pursue for the rest of your life an internet forum has little to offer.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Quote by darkcheef
We

I meant we in the UK are catching up to your awfulness.

Uni is getting real expensive over here.
Quote by Xodah
If you care about employment, make mad connections while you can. If you want something to pursue for the rest of your life an internet forum has little to offer.

I'm just asking for people's opinions on their own university course, I'm not asking anyone to help me decide anything.
Quote by Pagan-Pie

Don't take this badly, but it's responses like these that inspired me to make this thread.

I'm not really PASSIONATE about anything. I obviously play guitar, but I could never study that for 4 years. It would turn my only hobby into a chore. I don't do much else.

I'm told that I am pragmatically-minded and I like to build things, so I thought I'd go study engineering. My grades allow it, and my family is fortunate enough to be able to afford my higher education. Was I supposed to refuse the opportunity for a more comfortable future?

I can't say I find doing maths problems and writing lab reports fun. I had no idea what else to do when I finish school. University seemed like a logical progression. These days, a degree is a prerequisite. You won't get far without one. Might as well try and get one.

Frankly, I admire those who truly have a passion for their subject. They are a rare breed, at least from what I've seen. I'm just not one of them.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I was asking others to share their opinions on the matter.
Last edited by sashki at May 29, 2010,
Quote by sashki
I'm just asking for people's opinions on their own university course, I'm not asking anyone to help me decide anything.

Don't take this badly, but it's responses like these that inspired me to make this thread.

I'm not really PASSIONATE about anything. I obviously play guitar, but I could never study that for 4 years. It would turn my only hobby into a chore. I don't do much else.

I'm told that I am pragmatically-minded and I like to build things, so I thought I'd go study engineering. My grades allow it, and my family is fortunate enough to be able to afford my higher education. Was I supposed to refuse the opportunity for a more comfortable future?

I can't say I find doing maths problems and writing lab reports fun. I had no idea what else to do when I finish school. University seemed like a logical progression. These days, a degree is a prerequisite. You won't get far without one. Might as well try and get one.

Frankly, I admire those who truly have a passion for their subject. They are a rare breed, at least from what I've seen. I'm just not one of them.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I was asking others to share their opinions on the matter.

IMO it sounds like you should go to uni.
If you're not completely sure what you want to do then going through uni, getting a degree should help you out. Get a good degree and you've got lots of options available to you when you graduate.
That's what I'm doing at least And at least the social life is awesome, even if your course doesn't turn out to be so.
Quote by Renka

Quote by sashki

My opinion on the matter isn't actually that strong.

I'm in university because I love my subject (History) and I'd rather spend some time learning before I really focus on a career, though I hope that mine will be in academia anyway. Really, being surrounded by people who are there to enjoy learning is just more enjoyable, to me.

Perhaps I'm lucky though, I've had a passion for history since I was little, and academic work is all I'm really good at
Quote by OddOneOut
IMO it sounds like you should go to uni.
If you're not completely sure what you want to do then going through uni, getting a degree should help you out. Get a good degree and you've got lots of options available to you when you graduate.
That's what I'm doing at least And at least the social life is awesome, even if your course doesn't turn out to be so.

Thank you for the advice, but I'm already at uni, just finished my first year.
I have zero prospects and doing well so not that important in my experience, but the amount of opportunity that is open to someone with credentials is ridiculous. Seriously, get educated and get qualified.
Quote by sashki
Thank you for the advice, but I'm already at uni, just finished my first year.

Ah I see. By wednesday 11.30am I'll be able to say the same too

But yeah, I totally see where you're coming from. And most of the people I know here at uni just came here for the sake of getting a degree. Becasue they could. I don't blame them in the slightest, cos I'm just the same.
Quote by Renka

I'm doing English as I really enjoy it and I'm trying not to think about having to get a job at the end of it all. I'd like to think that a degree in a 'classical' subject like English gives you some advantage over applicants without degrees, saying that though I'm not too sure how true it is.

Also in the current recession it seems like it might be worth hiding in education and hoping it all clears up in two or three years.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Then you should take career counseling, but as far as I've seen, what school you came from and how well connected you are matter more than your degree.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Last edited by Xodah at May 29, 2010,
I've come to terms woth the fact that my best employment prospect in any area of study I'm interested in is as a teacher, so it's not terribly important
Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me-
Last edited by Al-InWonderland at May 29, 2010,
For me it's very important. I wouldn't want to put so much energy and effort and money into something, and then not be able to find a job or earn peanuts for it.

Maybe it's just me.
didn't think about it at all.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish