Poll: What is the best small amp then (think versitility as well as quality)
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the best small amp then (think versitility as well as quality)
orange crush 10
1 9%
orange micro crush
3 27%
Fender mini '57
2 18%
Vox pathfinder 10
0 0%
Vox DA5
4 36%
A smokey
1 9%
Voters: 11.
Its pretty simple at the moment I have a peavey vypyr 30W. However I am going on holiday this summer and there isn't room in the car for it. I am looking for a micro amp to take along with me.

so far these are the ones I have looked at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-Micro-Amp-Classic-MS-2C/dp/B000RW1UYG/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001667XM0&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1DAWW6QG885M3CTFEB2H

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Micro-Crush-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001C9R5P6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268945067&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MS4-MS-4-Micro-Stack/dp/B000BVN582/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268945067&sr=1-5

other ideas or other amps ideas and links are welcome. Please note I am not looking to buy a micro cube and am kinda going for under £50 if possible.

cheers
i've only played the marshalls, and they sounded terrible, but i've heard the orange is a bit more legit sounding, so i'd go with the orange
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
roland microcube if you can stretch to one

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Danelectro Honeytones give you a sick vintage tube-ish sound and has overdrive. I have one and it's pretty loud when you crank it.
.....Found Him!
I don't want an amplug cos they only have one setting, you can't change it and my guitar's not a good one for tone control
Quote by kirky boy
btw I also play mainly stuff like mettalica with some blues

wat
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
through a bit more research i found out about the crush 10/15 and the vox pathfinder
In this situation an Amplug would be your best bet. They actually sound very nice and can be combined with an Amplug cab to become a micro amp or can be ran straight into a PA. They have gain, tone, and volume controls which can be used in conjunction with your guitar's volume and tone controls to create several different tones from a single model. There are now 6 differently voiced Amplugs (Acoustic, Bass, Lead, AC30, Classic Rock, and Metal) so I'm sure you could find one that would suite you.

Micro amps are a joke (I own a Marshall MS-4 and have used some others). When compared to micro amps the Amplug series blows them out of the water in terms of tone. Also, the Crush series are terrible amps - they are often called the MGs of Orange. They have crappy tone and aren't very reliable (but what cheap SS amp is? lol).
I would get an amplug but its not versitile enough for me. I play stuff from irish folk to heavy metal to acousticy chords.
You can't really expect much versatility in a micro-amp to be fair. They all sound like shit for everything. That's why you'd be better off saving a bit more and getting the microcube.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by Redstar5wp
You can't really expect much versatility in a micro-amp to be fair. They all sound like shit for everything. That's why you'd be better off saving a bit more and getting the microcube.

+1

the cube is probably the ultimate practice amp.
Pt 1: Electro-Harmonix 22 CALIBER Guitar Amp with Mike Matthews and his son Owen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59f-nIupDzg

A possibility... But you need a small speaker box.
I don't know how good they are.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at May 30, 2010,
I picked up a micro cube a couple of years ago for £35 out of a cash converters (pawn shop if your in USA) You should take a look in those kinds of places.

Failing that, I second the smokey amps - you dont really need to be a tone machine if you're just on holiday for a little while, plus when you get back you can use the smokey amp as a pedal too!
first off, most solid state amps are tanks, cause there is almost nothing to break. ive had a crate 10 watt for going on 10+ years now. its not worth anything, so its my throw around amp. its been through so much abuse and i dont think it will ever stop working.

second, dont know what your limit is, but a roland micro cube is IMO the best solid state out there. however its like 140 bucks. they cost more cause they are so small (you can get a much larger cube for 100)

sounds good for a small amp, tons of effects, and its super durable.

also, bugera makes a variable output 5 watt tube amp. it can go from .5 watts to 5 watts. THAT would be the best travel amp, however would be slightly less durable due to its tube nature. tube sound, cheaper company that would break the bank.
Second hand Micro cube ftw, I picked one up the other day as I will have to put all my stuff away when building works start and I was impressed
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
If i can find i good second hand cube then maybe.
What I am looking for is:
having a clean
having a distortion
small size
Is it for performing or is it for practice?

If it is for practice... why is the Pocket Pod not under consideration?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
It's for practice, but i'm looking to spend under £50 and pocket pod is £88, however I will go used if it is in a good condition
Quote by kirky boy
If i can find i good second hand cube then maybe.
What I am looking for is:
having a clean
having a distortion
small size

Quote by kirky boy
even though it doesn't have a clean i'm tempted by http://www.gapco.co.uk/SUPRO-SMOKEY...GAIN-MODEL.html

or maybe a DA5

Considering both of these, it doesn't make sense how you're not considering the Amplug, I had the AC30 one and it could do Cleans and Rock Gains, like AC/DC and above. I even had one running through a distortion pedal and it was bearable.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
I appreciate that people like the amplug but, I don't want a headphone amp, the amplug+cab+distortion pedal is too much money which is why I am looking at the others
Quote by ikey_
first off, most solid state amps are tanks, cause there is almost nothing to break. ive had a crate 10 watt for going on 10+ years now. its not worth anything, so its my throw around amp. its been through so much abuse and i dont think it will ever stop working.

second, dont know what your limit is, but a roland micro cube is IMO the best solid state out there. however its like 140 bucks. they cost more cause they are so small (you can get a much larger cube for 100)

sounds good for a small amp, tons of effects, and its super durable.

also, bugera makes a variable output 5 watt tube amp. it can go from .5 watts to 5 watts. THAT would be the best travel amp, however would be slightly less durable due to its tube nature. tube sound, cheaper company that would break the bank.

Dude...Seriously, wut?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by denied
^ Some people like the cubes...I have no idea why

Get a DA5

Sure, they're okay. But no where near the "best SS amp out there."
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by kirky boy
Its pretty simple at the moment I have a peavey vypyr 30W. However I am going on holiday this summer and there isn't room in the car for it. I am looking for a micro amp to take along with me.

so far these are the ones I have looked at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-Micro-Amp-Classic-MS-2C/dp/B000RW1UYG/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001667XM0&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1DAWW6QG885M3CTFEB2H

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Micro-Crush-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001C9R5P6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268945067&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MS4-MS-4-Micro-Stack/dp/B000BVN582/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268945067&sr=1-5

other ideas or other amps ideas and links are welcome. Please note I am not looking to buy a micro cube and am kinda going for under £50 if possible.

cheers

Of those listed, the microcrush is the only one with real wood and has a built-in tuner.

It also has a drive button so you can get that drive sound at any volume.

With the marshall, you have to crank it up, yes even the little solid state toys they have there.

The volume is quite loud as well, so if you're looking for drive at reasonable volumes, the orange is the only way to go.

The orange is built like a real amp, not a toy.
Guys what do you think of the epiphone Valve junior, its not that exspensive for a tube amp
Quote by kirky boy
Guys what do you think of the epiphone Valve junior, its not that exspensive for a tube amp

Get the VOX AC4TV instead man.