Evening. Occurred some problems, due to my lack of knowledge. I'm mixing 12 track song (Drums (7 tracks), Bass, Guitars). Now my snare had a lack of mids, and didn't cut through the mix well. So after raising mids and highs on the parametric equalizer i achieved a good snare sound. Now theres a problem. The snare is popping at almost +4db. And the freaking compression doesn't work! I compress the snare, set the threshold way down, set the ratio and the make-up gain but the compression doesn't affect anything. The snare is still popping to the ceiling. Please help.
instead of adding with the EQ, trying cutting the other parts as it won't boost your levels so much and cause the clipping to occur.
Also try taking out EQ on other instruments and tracks to make the snare pop a little more.

Sometimes cutting the low end out on an acoustic guitar helps clear up mud when you have a bass in the song too......I'm no expert on this technique as I've just leaned about it a month or two ago at a class but the demonstration really sounded great.

oh yea and don't fear turning down the volume of the track some more. Compression when overused will cause a pumping sound and will really get annoying to the listeners. If the overall mix isn't up to CD quality volume levels, you'll need to master the overall mix to get it up to final level.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/compressors.htm
http://www.tweakheadz.com/mastering_your_audio.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at May 29, 2010,
Quote by ChokingOnBile
Evening. Occurred some problems, due to my lack of knowledge. I'm mixing 12 track song (Drums (7 tracks), Bass, Guitars). Now my snare had a lack of mids, and didn't cut through the mix well. So after raising mids and highs on the parametric equalizer i achieved a good snare sound. Now theres a problem. The snare is popping at almost +4db. And the freaking compression doesn't work! I compress the snare, set the threshold way down, set the ratio and the make-up gain but the compression doesn't affect anything. The snare is still popping to the ceiling. Please help.

turn everything else down? also use gclip on it
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on