Alright so I've posted a couple threads asking about different amp heads I should get and such, but I'm pretty set on those. I'll either be buying a Peavey 5150/6505 or Bugera 6262. I play melodic, technical, deathcore. Think "Count Your Blessings" by Bring Me the Horizon (minus the poor recording quality) mixed with Parkway Drive. I've come to the reasonable conclusion that I shouldn't really need a 4x12 for playing local shows and bedroom practice so I'm looking at the 2x12 market primarily. I rarely see any of these run over $800 and since I just got a job I need to have an idea of what to save up for. I've heard good things about all of them but I have some concerns with the characteristics of each. Obviously I'll try to play as many of these in person as I can but sadly that's not always an option, but the main companies that have come to mind, and my concerns are

Orange - Higher on the price range, they seem to mostly be used for rock and mid-gain things will they handle high-gain without fizzing out?

Vader - Heard they sound amazing in person, but not so well recording, so come when my band records a demo am I going to run into issues?

Marshall - First of all it's very hard to find the right kind of these, but I hear they exist so my main concern is that I'll end up with a British-classic-rock type sound something kind of thin and not beefy and meaty like I need.

Mesa Boogie - I don't really have any issues with these haha, I hear great things about them and they're gorgeous and priced really well, pretty much on the top of my list at the moment, especially since my long term goal is to eventually buy a dual rec so having a matching cab already wouldn't hurt.

Avatar - these things scare me a little, the website is ghetto, their prices jump all over the place, but you can pick what speakers you want and I hear they're constructed well plus they offer color options which kinda tickles my fancy. Basically can these actually be trusted? And if so which ones are best for what I want?

Thanks a ton in advance, if you have any kind of comment (unless it's purely useless) go right ahead, I'm young and foolish so I'm soaking up as much information as I can.
Orange PPC212- Fizzing out on high gain? No. Wonderful cab.

Vader- no experiance.

Marshall 1922- Pretty good, but not as good as the others listed IMO

Mesa Recto 2x12- Wonderful cabs; big, punchy, nice low end. My personal pick.

Avatar- supposedly a very good budget cab, very popular around here. Much prefer the Mesa though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
i had an avatar 212 for a few years, it was rock solid. ive never understood why the website is so horridly ghetto, but their cabs are great and you can get the speakers and colors your want from the get go.

orange vader and mesa make pretty thick and pretty large cabs iirc, so they have more bass to them and will be beefier sounding. marshalls are typicall thinner and smaller dimensions and usually give great clarity and less muddy bass. the avatar can be what you choose
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
BTW, if you can strech it, Mills Acoustics cabs are supposed to be unbeatable. NO personal experiance, though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The Peavey 6505 series amplifiers sound fantastic on a Marshall 1960 cabinet with Vintage 30s - better than they sound with their matching Peavy 6505 cabinet. The thinner "British" sound associated with Marshall amps and cabinets comes from cabinets that are loaded with the Celestion "Greenback" speakers. You aren't likely to find many of those.

What tone are you looking for? Are you looking for a heavy bottom end and plenty of edge? You might want to look at a Mesa Rectifier cabinet or a Marshall Mode Four cabinet (if you can find one used). I'd stick with a Marshall loaded with Vintage 30s.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The vader has a big big bass repose that is super tight. Its a recto cab on steroids. However it can have a scoopished sound associated with it. My favorite cab for a 5150/6505 is still. a recto cab
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Reviews: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Harley+Benton/G212+Vintage+Cab/10/1

In action video (with dual rec): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_61tE7aTwU

Closed back, front loaded, 16mm plywood, have Vintage 30's (the same found in Mesa's cabs). And in Australia it is cheaper to buy this amp (including freight from Germany) then to buy just the speakers locally. I am going to buy this when I get my new amp.
Last edited by Effecient at May 29, 2010,
Avatar makes some really fantastic cabs. I run my bass through one of their 1x15's (they don't make them any more for some reason) and I've used a few of their guitar cabs. They're built like tanks and sound fantastic. It's not a Recto cab but it's still very good.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Best Custom Built - Mills Acoustic or StoneAge Cabs
Best Amp Branded - Splawn - locally built, Bogner/CAA - made in the usa from the same maker, Orange PPC212 Made in England, Dr. Z 212 - made in the US
Best Budget - Avatar cabs

no experience with vader. Only know that splawn is good from reviews. I'll have a caa or a bogner soon. Stoneage and mills gets great reviews on the web.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
is the orange 2x12 made in england? some of the orange stuff is starting to be made overseas, i have a sneaking suspicion that one of the 2x12s might be, but i could be wrong on that. or it might be a different model of 2x12.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the open back is chinese made the closed back is uk made. The 112 is also chinese made. The birch ply used is a little lower. I couldn't hear a difference. The 112 I sent to Gregs is solid as a rock.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
ah ok, thanks. you know more than me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hehe. I read about it ages ago, but i forgot
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?