So, I am an American who works in a fancy designer retail outlet store which is frequented by UKers and people from everywhere, really. As an American, I only say "cheers" when making a toast with beer glasses or when referring to an old sitcom, so I'm not too familiar with how the phrase works.

My customers will thank my by saying 'cheers!' which makes sense, but I'm not sure how to respond, should I say 'cheers' back? Would that be weird, since I'm American? It seems strange for me to say, so I figured I'd ask the advice of UG's UKers. Thanks!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Cheers (First): Thank you! Have a great day!
Cheers (In response): Your mum is a bloated sea cow.
"no worries, mate"
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Slight derailment here, but it's in the same vein, so whatever.

When some one says 'what's up,' or even worse, 'sup,' do you say 'sup' back, or actually tell them what's up?
We're not alien you know, when a Uker says 'Cheers' it basically means 'thanks for the service'. Just reply with a nice "No problem" to reciprocate the comment or something to that affect.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Essentially it's used as a replacement for "Thank you" or "Thanks"

Colloquial language ftmfw

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by GRiMM94
Slight derailment here, but it's in the same vein, so whatever.

When some one says 'what's up,' or even worse, 'sup,' do you say 'sup' back, or actually tell them what's up?

I either reply with "sup", or say "not much, you?"
Because if your life is anything like mine, there's never much that could be up.
You could say cheers back, you could say "aye, no problem", you could say "you're welcome"... just whatever really.
"No problem"
"you're welcome"

However you'd reply as if they'd jsut said "thank you"

But don't say "cheers" back. It just sounds silly. Especially if you're american.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by JacobTheMe
Cheers (First): Thank you! Have a great day!
Cheers (In response): Your mum is a bloated sea cow.

Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Ah I get it now, thanks. When we make a toast here and someone says 'cheers' the proper response is to say 'cheers' back, so I wasn't sure. I knew it didn't sound right.

As for the 'whats up?' question, you can either say 'not much, you' or you can just say 'what's up?' if you want, it's perfectly acceptable, but you'll know which one to go with based on whether the first person phrased it as a question or a statement.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I think if somebody says cheers to you, its weird to say cheers back. You can't repeat the same phrase and expect it to sound right...

I only say cheers when communicating with the working classes...
Quote by Sid McCall
So, I am an American who works in a fancy designer retail outlet store which is frequented by UKers and people from everywhere, really. As an American, I only say "cheers" when making a toast with beer glasses or when referring to an old sitcom, so I'm not too familiar with how the phrase works.

My customers will thank my by saying 'cheers!' which makes sense, but I'm not sure how to respond, should I say 'cheers' back? Would that be weird, since I'm American? It seems strange for me to say, so I figured I'd ask the advice of UG's UKers. Thanks!

You're right by doing this. When your customers says 'cheers' (which they shouldn't) you should really say 'you're welcome'. It is the correct way and it is a lot more polite.

However, nowadays people say 'cheers' as a replacement for 'thank you'
"Alright pal"

I love 'pal', it's so underused!
_________ __________________ _________

Quote by robertito696
I mounted a dildo onto one of my combat boots, now I can show him how much I love him instead of just saying it.

Quote by SteveHouse
EVERYBODY PANIC
Quote by learnerlegend
"Alright pal"

"Sure thing pal!"
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf

"Sure thing pal!"

I hate it when people say "buddy" thought, that really pisses me off. Much better to say "mate" or "pal".

Oh and to clear it up if it hasn't been clear enough already.

Cheers = thank you.
They might also say "ta"
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by learnerlegend
"Alright pal"

I don't know. 'Pal' has always seemed really condescending to me. Like 'Champ,' or 'Chief.'
Quote by learnerlegend
"Alright pal"

You wouldn't say that if you saw some of the emails I've recieved that have been forwarded through various different army officers. Usually go
Can you forward this to _____ cheers buddy!
Fwd to ________ cheers pal
Fwd to the rest of ________ cheers mate
It's quite amusing for me.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

if it was me working in a fancy retail store id say something along the lines of
"no problem, have a good day" or just "your welcome"
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Depends on the context.

If, for example, you had some hip young hipster hippo come into your shop from the UK, cheers would be a good way to end the conversation. However I wouldn't say it to anyone you believe is over the age of, ooh, 40? Then, you should be a bit more polite.

IMO.

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Cheers for excluding us Northern Irish folk.

Pfft, why would we want to be lumped in with them?
The proper response to 'cheers' is a slightly self depreciating nod of the head and carry on with your business (unless it's used as a toast thing). Mastery of this nod will take years of hard work/living in the UK but it can be done.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.