I have a problem. I've recently started to write music, and my genres are mostly rock and metal. One problem with writings lyrics and instrumental parts of everything though, it always comes out so sad and depressing. I want to move on and change the mood of my songs. Does anyone have any advice to do this?
i have the exact same problem, only i'm fed up with metal and want to move away from it. no matter what i do i come out with something darker. always sad or depressing, or really creepy. and i dont want to.

i know its a completely useless post, but i want to see the answers so maybe somebody can help me out too. sorry to jack your thread buddy... no hard feelings?
neh, let's make it -our- thread, comrade!

And to the guy before you, I frickin' love you, let's get married.
Improve your mood and your outlook on life. It's like the difference between the stuff I write when I'm alone and the stuff I write when I'm jamming with my band. When I'm alone it's often slower, softer acoustic playing with completely different techniques. When I'm with the band it's usually fast-paced and in your face rock music!!!(lol)
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
thats just the thing in my case though. i have everything going for me, nothing bad anymore, and i've completely gotten over every bad thing in my life. i've never been happier. i've left behind all the bad crap that was plagueing me, and quite honestly, i'm a completely different person now. yet i still cant write any happy music or lyrics
Hey man. First thing first, you gotta know what you have and what you want to change it to. You got sad and depressing but do you know what you want to change it to? Also, the longer your notes are (quarter, half, whole, sixteenth etc...) the sadder it becomes. Also, if you do a lot of "string changing" (listen to the intro of 'Nothing To Lose' by Billy Talent if you dont know what I'm talking about) So just quicken the pace of the music, make it into something people would want to dance to, or start a mosh pit.

For the lyrics, just try to look on the positive side of the topic. (A break-up, for example, instead of feeling lonely, look at it as having freedom and doing what you want) Have it catchy, so by the end of the song people know the chorus, and after the third time hearing the song, people know the entire thing.

Best of luck to ya man.
Find some happier sounding music and learn it before trying to write your own similar sounding stuff. Take apart how they're playing it, the notes and scales they're using. Figure out why it sounds the way it does, and build from that.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by 2112/3
change the scales and chords u use if its coming out sad its probably played in minor play some stuff in major

Experiment with modes too.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Something I always do when writing is write my stuff on an acoustic or clean setting, which forces me to use full chords, and not just power chords, in order for it to not sound bland. That gives you more control over the mood, with your choice between Major or Minor chords, Diminished or Augmented chords, Suspended and so forth.

Once I've got it where I think it sounds good, with my progression in place and what not, I crank up the distortion and switch to Power Chords, and then play riffs that focus on the notes that the Power Chords are 'missing' from my original progression. IE, I would play a riff focusing on the E note if I were playing a C Power Chord that's meant to be happy sounding, and Major sounding.

Hope that helps. =)
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
Something I always do when writing is write my stuff on an acoustic or clean setting, which forces me to use full chords, and not just power chords, in order for it to not sound bland. That gives you more control over the mood, with your choice between Major or Minor chords, Diminished or Augmented chords, Suspended and so forth.

Once I've got it where I think it sounds good, with my progression in place and what not, I crank up the distortion and switch to Power Chords, and then play riffs that focus on the notes that the Power Chords are 'missing' from my original progression. IE, I would play a riff focusing on the E note if I were playing a C Power Chord that's meant to be happy sounding, and Major sounding.

Hope that helps. =)

Really good suggestion actually! I'm going to mess around with this.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006