Page 1 of 5
What does the pit think about the concept or philosophy of objectivism?
Just began reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand who created the idea, or at least put a name to it, and I think it's pretty interesting.

Not too sure if I agree with it entirely yet, still researching/thinking through it, but its at least a thought provoking idea.

Does the pit know about it? Anyone in the pit enjoy Ayn Rand?
Discuss that shiznit.

EDIT: And please back up your answer, at least with why you think that way.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

Last edited by Doctor Wu at May 29, 2010,
I despise it and every Ayn Rayntard.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I've never read Ayn Rand; what's all the hate? I've heard people bashing her before, I just don't quite know why.
Quote by GRiMM94
I've never read Ayn Rand; what's all the hate? I've heard people bashing her before, I just don't quite know why.

She is selfishness incarnate.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by GRiMM94

I get a lot of crap for being an Objectivist. People seem to get the wrong idea that if you're an Objectivist, you're selfish in the literal meaning of the word. It's proof that they haven't actually read any Ayn Rand though.
I support thinking objectively but I don't know what her version is. I've never read any of her books. I do know she is a contemporary philosopher who has best selling books which instantly raises my suspicion.
We're only strays.
Its stupid.

I present evidence...

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm an Objectivist. Ayn Rand= best philosopher ever!

Case closed.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I get a lot of crap for being an Objectivist. People seem to get the wrong idea that if you're an Objectivist, you're selfish in the literal meaning of the word. It's proof that they haven't actually read any Ayn Rand though.

Objectivism holds that reality exists independent of consciousness; that individual persons are in direct contact with reality through sensory perception; that human beings can gain objective knowledge from perception through the process of concept formation and inductive and deductive logic; that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or rational self-interest; that the only social system consistent with this morality is full respect for individual rights, embodied in pure laissez faire capitalism; and that the role of art in human life is to transform man's widest metaphysical ideas, by selective reproduction of reality, into a physical form—a work of art—that he can comprehend and to which he can respond emotionally.

Yeah where people get that idea is beyond me...
Alright guys. I'm not very educated in philosophy; does anyone want to explain just what Objectivism is?
Religion and Philosophy thread. Objectivism is infuriatingly moronic.

Also, I thought Fassa was perma'd...
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Quote by GRiMM94
Alright guys. I'm not very educated in philosophy; does anyone want to explain just what Objectivism is?

it is the principle that the individual is worth more than the collective and that the ultimate goal of life is self-happiness. Objectivism also supports a restricted Government and a free-market capitalist market where business is free from any Gov.-imposed law.
Quote by GRiMM94

It basically comes down to an unrestricted survival of the fittest. Anything that advances your self-interest (no matter how detrimental to others) is morally justified.
Quote by GRiMM94

Kensai just did.

It sounds the opposite of my opinions really.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by StewieSwan
It basically comes down to an unrestricted survival of the fittest. Anything that advances your self-interest (no matter how detrimental to others) is morally justified.

Sounds like a good night...
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
That sounds kinda stupid, not to mention dangerous if a lot of people embrace it. I guess that explains the Ayn Rand hate. I kinda wanna read the Fountainhead now though just out of curiosity.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
it is the principle that the individual is worth more than the collective and that the ultimate goal of life is self-happiness. Objectivism also supports a restricted Government and a free-market capitalist market where business is free from any Gov.-imposed law.

The main goal in life is to stab anyone in the back for whatever little you can get? The idea that people deserve to sleep in the gutter just because they weren't able to get the "proper" education or even the "proper" parents?
Quote by GRiMM94
That sounds kinda stupid, not to mention dangerous if a lot of people embrace it. I guess that explains the Ayn Rand hate. I kinda wanna read the Fountainhead now though just out of curiosity.

If you actually bother to read Ayn Rand's essays on capitalism (hell, she wrote an entire book called 'Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal') and on Objectivism then you'll know it's only common sense.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
If you actually bother to read Ayn Rand's essays on capitalism (hell, she wrote an entire book called 'Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal') and on Objectivism then you'll know it's only common sense.

The common sense of selfish twats.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
So you're calling me a selfish twat?

Probably.

I hate her because of what she said about Kant. She didn't even seem to understand him. What a god damn moron.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

You are
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Probably.

I hate her because of what she said about Kant. She didn't even seem to understand him. What a god damn moron.

She was well-versed in Aristotle though....
We've already gone through this. By definition Rayntards are selfish, there's no debate there.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I don't know. Go read the post again and tell me.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ayn Rand = most epic troll ever. She's got it down ever after her death.

either that or people have the common sense to realize she was talking sense.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
She was well-versed in Aristotle though....

I don't care. No one who calls themselves a 'philosopher' can call one of the greatest ever 'the most evil man in history' and still be taken seriously. She was a complete idiot.
How many of you have actually read any of her books and aren't just saying you hate her because of one or two sentences from wiki?

And if you agree with the concept partially, it doesn't mean your entire life revolves around being a ****.

Also, even if you don't agree, do none of you see any merit in her thinking?

Quote by Doctor Wu
How many of you have actually read any of her books and aren't just saying you hate her because of one or two sentences from wiki?

And if you agree with the concept partially, it doesn't mean your entire life revolves around being a ****.

I've read every single one of her writings and books. Including Atlas Shrugged, repeatedly.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
either that or people have the common sense to realize she was talking sense.

I'm not disagreeing with you there - Objectivism is a pretty sensible philosophy [flameshield up]. It's amazing what a single person can do.

I don't think it will work in practice though, because it requires that people participate.

EDIT: If anything, Rand can write a good piece of fiction.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at May 29, 2010,
I see fassa is back to her normal trolling. I thought being perma'd for a while would stop it, apparently not... just ignore her and maybe she'll go away like the ads in that simpsons treehouse of horror episode. Just don't look, just don't look...

Quote by Doctor Wu

I tried reading a book but it's like trying to take a painting painted by a 2-year-old ADD kid on amphetamine seriously. I gave up because nothing. ****ing. happened. The story is just non-existing and the books only serve as poor attempt of writing down whatever drivel she was thinking of at that very moment.
Last edited by Kensai at May 29, 2010,
ITT: Fassa defends her moral belief system of being a self-centered obnoxious troll while everyone else rages
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Quote by Doctor Wu

There is some validity in the idea, from the little that I know of it, but you must realize that it could not work on a large scale. If everyone were to embrace these ideals, all that would come of it would be every individual on earth killing and/or taking advantage of each other in the name of self-interest.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
EDIT: If anything, Rand can write a good piece of fiction.

Neil Peart agrees with you.
And while you should definitely be considerate of others, and think about their well being on your quest to happiness, above all comes yourself, right?
Why would you do anything to please yourself than if you could be pleasing others with that time?

Page 1 of 5