Well, Im thinking about upgrading the pickups on my Jackson DXMG (it currently has EMG-HZ on it), and Im debating what to get. I was originally going to get the Seymour Duncan Blackouts EMTY AHB3 set, but Zzounds.com doesnt have it (and Im going to be buying some other gear too, so Im using the pay as you play plan), so now Im debating what to buy. I love EMGs, but Ive actually been enjoying the battery-free lifestyle that the EMG-HZ's have given me, so Im considering passives as well. I mostly play metal, but I would like to have nice cleans. So far the pickups Ive been considering are the EMG KFK set, a regular SD Blackout AHB-1 set, and Dimarzio D-Activator X's. Please dont suggest boutique/super-expensive pickups like BKPs, Im mostly looking for pickups that would be in stock at a site like Zzounds.com. Thanks in advance.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
why no active? emg hz's are horrible lol. its worth going active, but i hear Blackouts work amazing.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
why no active? emg hz's are horrible lol. its worth going active, but i hear Blackouts work amazing.

What the hell? I didnt say no actives... I even said I was looking at the EMG KFK set... and Blackouts... Did you just not read it? But yes, I am looking at ACTIVES and PASSIVES, it doesnt matter to me. I never had a problem using actives, but I do enjoy not having to worry about a battery, but even then, its not a big deal.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Blackouts are great, im gonna get some for my Flying V cause i was so impressed with them. Do you de-tune much at all? If you do then you might wanna look at the DiMarzio DropSonic as well, i havn't heard much of it but from what i have heard it's pretty flash for drop tuned metal
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If you want cleans I'd say passives. Perhaps the Duncan Custom 5 (TB-14) bridge and the Duncan Jazz (SH-2) neck. Great cleans (especially the neck) and with high gain the neck pickup has this beautiful mellow sound to it. The Custom 5 should be able to handle the regular high-gain stuff you play (which i assume you do since you're considering actives)
You could try a Seymour Duncan Jazz Pickup in the neck like siverstorm said and maybe an the Seymour Duncan Invader in the Bridge...I have the SD Pearly Gates in the Neck and a SD Screamin' Demon in my guitar and it is amazing!
The best revenge is bettering yourself-Zacky V

311 Freak of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Well I decided upon the Seymour Duncan Blackout set. I also got some various gear that I needed
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
Well I decided upon the Seymour Duncan Blackout set. I also got some various gear that I needed

They should work good for you. I get good cleans from my HB-105s and they are basically cheap blackouts, so I'd say you will love them.
Btw, since EMG-Hz's come with the quick-connect system, couldnt I just swap the pickups, and just solder in a battery clip?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
No. The control pots, capacitors and jack all need to be switched out. If you leave it with the stock jack the battery will be constantly drained or never come on at all (depending on how you wired it) and the standard pots and capacitors will mean the pickups will produce a very harsh tone, as if you turned the treble on your amp all the way up and the bass all the way down.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yeah I forgot to mention changing the pots and the jack. I also only have a volume pot, I dont use a tone pot (and Ill eventually be putting in a EMG Afterburner), so Ill just have to skip that part. I have a 3 way blade switch, could I leave that soldered up the way it is now, or would I have to redo it?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Depends how it is wired now/how you want it to be wired. I would be inclined to re-wire the whole thing, that way you know everything has been done properly and cleanly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.