In the instruction manual it says Loading Points

one 4 Ohm Cabinet, set to 4 Ohms
One 8 Ohm cabinet, set to 8 Ohms
Two 8 Ohm Cabinets, set to 4 Ohms
Two 16 Ohm Cabinets, set to 8 Ohms

Since the only way to use the 8 ohm selection is with the mono/stereo switch set stereo (I'm not running stereo-am I?) then I would use the mono selection with the 4 ohm input??
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
On Marshall's website: http://www.marshallamps.com/support/support_faq.asp 2/3rds down it says I can connect either mono using 4 ohms or 16 ohms. Whats the difference? It says That it is most common to run the 16 Ohms but what about the loading points I mentioned above?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
All it's saying is that if you run two 8 ohm cabinets then run the amp at 4 ohms (two 8 ohm loads in parallel is 4 ohm) and that two 16 ohm cabs plugged in means you are running at 8 ohms (again, two 16 ohm cabinets in parallel is 8 ohms).
You are correct, you are running in mono. The stereo mode on the cabs splits the speakers into 2 2x12s. So just match up your amp output to the same mono input on your cab. Doesn't really matter if you use 4 ohm or 16 ohm as long as you match it all up. Some people will say the 16 ohm output sounds better because it's using more windings in the output transformer and some say less windings means less top end attenuation - I doubt many people could hear the difference in a blind test.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification