Hey guys ! Uhh.. I have a problem with my guitar that .. when im sitting down with it and playing some leads up above the 12th fret sometimes sweeping across the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th strings.. now my problem is when im standing.. it goes out of tune ... i sweep in the same place as when i was sitting down but it is out of tune.. Can somebody help me on the this subject ?? Maybe its my strings ? they are kind of old... i dunno really...
Sure your not accdently bending the strings when coming across them?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by ShiroiShu
Hey guys ! Uhh.. I have a problem with my guitar that .. when im sitting down with it and playing some leads up above the 12th fret sometimes sweeping across the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th strings.. now my problem is when im standing.. it goes out of tune ... i sweep in the same place as when i was sitting down but it is out of tune.. Can somebody help me on the this subject ?? Maybe its my strings ? they are kind of old... i dunno really...

yes, swap the strings.

but also make sure the bridge is balanced and the neck is secured.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
sometimes the natural resistance of the neck gives you the right action, but can flex easier then a neck with a tighter truss rod.
have it serviced (or do it yourself depending on your competency) a slight truss rod adjustment will fix it.

that is ofcourse if changing strings, and checking the neck is secured properly doesn't work.

good luck.
Do you have a bulging tummy ?

Usually when you play standing up, your bulging tummy will tilt the axe diagonally and that affects the tuning/intonation.
Quote by sfx
Do you have a bulging tummy ?

Usually when you play standing up, your bulging tummy will tilt the axe diagonally and that affects the tuning/intonation.

I do actually ...
First, check your guitar's intonation in general. Now, pick a few notes to play above the 12th fret (doesn't have to be sweeping, just pick one note at a time) while sitting down and check them. Now check them again while standing. If they're now in tune (which for some reason I'm thinking they probably will be) then the problem is in your technique. Make sure you're not inadvertently bending the strings slightly. Pay close attention when troubleshooting! If it is somehow out of tune at the standing point, do what the other posts have said and change your strings, fix your intonation, get it set up/serviced etc.
Quote by ShiroiShu
I do actually ...

Ok, either lose the gut.....

Or...

Tune/intonate the guitar at that position you play (standing up) so it will accomodate the angle caused by the bulging belly.
Quote by Avedas
First, check your guitar's intonation in general. Now, pick a few notes to play above the 12th fret (doesn't have to be sweeping, just pick one note at a time) while sitting down and check them. Now check them again while standing. If they're now in tune (which for some reason I'm thinking they probably will be) then the problem is in your technique. Make sure you're not inadvertently bending the strings slightly. Pay close attention when troubleshooting! If it is somehow out of tune at the standing point, do what the other posts have said and change your strings, fix your intonation, get it set up/serviced etc.

I have already checked the intonation of the guitar, but only when i was sitting down. So i guess i should intonate it while standing up ?? The strings are around 2 months old but because of the fast frets and the special oil thingy its not rusty at all considering how much my fingers sweat.
Quote by jj1565
yes, swap the strings.

but also make sure the bridge is balanced and the neck is secured.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
2 month old strings definitely need changing, regardless. Your strings will die long before they rust.
Quote by Avedas
2 month old strings definitely need changing, regardless. Your strings will die long before they rust.

Alright will do thanks guys ! It sounded alright when i 1st changed it but now i guess it needs changing after 2 months.. I just played guitar