I looked for some resources on the site and found very few for beginner amp builders.

I'm looking for a book that shows my how to build an amp, but also explains what the components are for. I have no problem following a schematic, but I don't know what capacitors et all do... especially when it comes to different values and what not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(sorry if this has been brought up before, my quick search didn't turn up any threads)
Don't get mad at me if I get this wrong,
But I think capacitators store the charge, and release it at a higher wattage.
..I was watching my death.
capacitors are used in an amp for a lot of uses.

some uses that i've seen are:
1) of course, storge charge then release them gradually. this is used to filter your power supply. better DC voltage, compared to the ripple voltage without much filtering.
2) caps block dc, and allow ac to flow through. a coupling cap in an amp blocks high dc voltage from the output of each gain stage, then feeds it to the next stage without the dc.
3) different values of caps lets through only certain frequencies. this is used in the cathode bypass cap, coupling cap, and the tonestack. depends on the output impedance, but small caps only let higher frequencies through. likewise, big caps let lower AND higher frequencies through.

that's the basic uses. there could be more... sorry.

and i think there's an information thread about building tube amps on this forum somewhere. it's by end_citizen i think?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Check out Antique Electronics Supply(tubesandmore.com) They have tons of amp building books there.
Quote by timbit2006
Don't get mad at me if I get this wrong,
But I think capacitators store the charge, and release it at a higher wattage.

nah, dude. dude, nah. wattage is a whole other train of thought. Shot nailed it though.

as for the thread, here it is. 8th link down when you type "amp building resource" into the search box. lrn2srch
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223425
If I could add some more things:

This is DLrocket89's single ended amp build, it doesn't necessarily explain how the parts work together, even though the build starts on page 5, read posts up to it too, they have some useful information.
Amp Build

This is the Ultimate Electronics Thread it has a ton of information.
Electronics Thread

This page is linked to in the Ultimate Electronics Thread, but I learned a lot from it, and it covers the basics very well.
Electronics-Tutorials

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Thanks for all the links, but I was looking for a published reference and tutorial (not that I don't trust the info on this site, but I like having everything printed out in front of me). I'm gonna check and see what Tubsandmore has in stock.

Thanks
Quote by mr.Krinkle
Thanks for all the links, but I was looking for a published reference and tutorial (not that I don't trust the info on this site, but I like having everything printed out in front of me). I'm gonna check and see what Tubsandmore has in stock.

Thanks

To be quite honest with you most of what you are going to read in books is going to be the same thing we are going to tell you here. Your also have much more to gain from a site like this than a book, and I can personally vouch for that. I've read many books, including the "Holy Grail of Tubes" aka the Radiotron Designers Handbook and unless you are already an engineer most of it won't make sense to you.

We are more capable of providing you information because quite often the people that write these books don't really have anyone to answer to. They aren't college professors, or anything really. They just build amps themselves. And you can't really hold them accountable. While here, if we tell you something and it fails and you come back and tell us what went wrong we can attempt to help you and if all else fails figure out if we were wrong.

If you want a good reference site then look up the valve wizard website. Merlin has produced a book that is very good. But its basically everything that we would already tell you.
Haha, the Electronics thread has been linked to 4 times!
But, I don't think it's a sign or anything...