Page 1 of 4
I notice a lot of racism towards aboriginals on a day to day basis in Canada. I expect that, and I mostly see it as a case of ignorance towards what is going on (and based on news coverage, I don't blame them) and a few negative experiences.

However, I was shocked to find that there is racism towards aboriginals in the pit after reading through the "ololol we should like totally give indians back their land and shit" thread. I've always seen the pit as surprisingly good with human rights and equality, beyond jokes of course, but I don't think these posts were just joking/trolling, they seemed to be serious.

There is a disturbing lack of information towards aboriginals available as well, political parties never even discuss aboriginal policies at all, yet alone during election time. This might be a cause of the racism, I don't really know. Maybe we can find out?

My questions are:
How do you view aboriginals (what stereotypes, ect)?

What caused you to think about aboriginals in that way?

How much do you see racism towards aboriginals/how much racism do you think is there? (even if you aren't from a country that doesn't have any aboriginals, please post. If anything, your perception of the situation is even more important).

And finally, How do you propose we stop the racism if you think there is racism?

I figured if we can get to 3 pages with the other thread, we can make this thread a success.
Abhoriginals!
No, I'm just making a joke. I'm not familiar enough to make a decision, but I don't support racism beyond silly jokes.
this feels like an assesment to work at a clothing store...where diversity is the number one priority....

I'm sad now.
since im native.......

aboriginals kick freakin ass
but thats jss my opinion
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
I'm not aboriginal, i'm not ignorant, I just know that where I live, most of the natives are drunken morons. Which isn't far from the white population though.

However, the white population doesn't receive settlement cheques for being attacked many a year ago.
native jokes in canada are like black jokes in america.. no offense. What i noticed as a canadian where i live though is that the natives land by my city is trouble the kids vandalize everything, there's a shitload of drugs, and it just looks rough. I'm not saying that natives are trouble, i'm just stating what it's like here. I know two in particular pretty well they're on my hockey team both great players one stays outta trouble, and the other.. not so much.

But on topic, it's pretty bad here in Australia, and tbh, I kind of feel bad for them. They've been reduced to drinking goon on street corners and driving early 80's Commodores. Seems 99% of the people I know are racist in one way or another, and I try to be neutral on the subject, but even I can't help it sometimes. (As evident by pic, most likely.)

I just don't know why they don't take control of their lives. I know most of them live in HORRIBLE conditions and usually with bad families and home lives, but my school had about four indigenous students graduate last year and go off to University. These people had bad home lives, etc. and still succeeded. If they really want it, they can do it. Also, I swear I've got Aboriginal blood in me, my dad and his dad look like 100% white aboriginals... I'm probably half caste or something.
no aboriginals here in the US, but we treat the natives like shit. they've been here for thousands of years. basically the Europeans came here and said, "hey a new big ass piece of land, don't mind if I do!"

That's lame IMO
Quote by bbetances
no aboriginals here in the US, but we treat the natives like shit. they've been here for thousands of years. basically the Europeans came here and said, "hey a new big ass piece of land, don't mind if I do!"

That's lame IMO

I don't think we do now.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Aboriginal Australians = Awesome

*Gazes at didgeridoo sitting in the corner.*

Not being racist but this is what I do think of the Aboriginals of Australia, yes we have came to there country and basically wiped them out BUT the ones that i do no personally dont try in school, talk very bad and play the sterotypical Aboriginal (besides sniffing petrol) ALL of the ones that i know Smoke, dont try in school have stolen at least once have bad manners (swear a lot there personally favourite seems to be "what Cvnt?" and what does annoy me most is when they say Austrya its said AustraLIA however compared to the other native cultures to other Countries such as Tongans are all well mannered, polite im good friends with a tongan and we have many in our school who are all polite will be very inviting to talk to even have given me a lift home as they where on their way to football training.

I am not racist i dont go around degrading Aboriginals these are just my views on what i have witnessed from many.
Quote by VolumeControl
this feels like an assesment to work at a clothing store...where diversity is the number one priority....

I'm sad now.

lolzas
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
My opinion is a result of my location. I live 10 minutes away from a really bad reserve with a lot of crime and gang problems. This has affected my opinion on aboriginals. Now as I see ti there is bad ones and good ones. As terrible as it is. It's probably 50/50. And I don't think that they deserve all of this money and special treatment anymore. Like **** how long ago was all that shit. Most of the Aboriginals in my area go out when they turn 18, get thier money and go spend it on crack or booze. I'm not racist, it just so happens that I live near a poor, crime filled reserve.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Aboriginal Australians = Awesome

*Gazes at didgeridoo sitting in the corner.*

I am Australian Aboriginal and I play the didgerridoo

How is that for a stereotype?
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by bbetances
no aboriginals here in the US, but we treat the natives like shit.

psst... they mean the same thing, aboriginal is just a broader term I'm pretty sure, as it includes natives to Australia (and probably other places, but I had Australia in mind)

And the responses here are pretty depressing, as they are exactly what I had hoped would not happen. Any outside opinions from countries that don't have aboriginals? Like European countries?
Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't think we do now.

We don't, really.
But their reservations are pretty much just the shittiest pieces of land in the country surrounded by a fence. Of course, they are free to leave the reservation at any time.

EDIT:
Quote by Thrashtastic15
And the responses here are pretty depressing, as they are exactly what I had hoped would not happen. Any outside opinions from countries that don't have aboriginals? Like European countries?

They are all (mostly) sleeping, but if this thread is still up when they wake up, I'm sure they'll reply.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Last edited by HailSlaytan at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Levi79
My opinion is a result of my location. I live 10 minutes away from a really bad reserve with a lot of crime and gang problems. This has affected my opinion on aboriginals. Now as I see ti there is bad ones and good ones. As terrible as it is. It's probably 50/50. And I don't think that they deserve all of this money and special treatment anymore. Like **** how long ago was all that shit. Most of the Aboriginals in my area go out when they turn 18, get thier money and go spend it on crack or booze. I'm not racist, it just so happens that I live near a poor, crime filled reserve.

well if i stole your house and gave you AIDS, i think you would carry a grudge for awhile

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Quote by meow1992
well if i stole your house and gave you AIDS, i think you would carry a grudge for awhile

Leave.
Quote by HailSlaytan

They are all (mostly) sleeping, but if this thread is still up when they wake up, I'm sure they'll reply.

I know, it's apparently a bit too late for me too. I posted that so they would see it on the first place, completely forgetting I could edit the OP.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at May 29, 2010,
Quote by meow1992

Woah, at least MY post was on topic while including a bit of racism.
I will get flamed for this post.

Aboriginals are the only group I have bias against. Most natives are fine, but the one's who are hardcore "NATIVE PRIDE WOOH" are people who I really, really hate. A lot of them are poor, dirty and kind of gross, which I guess happens with any race, but there's that bias I'm talking about.

What makes me the most furious, is the ones who are constantly whining about how "the white man stole their land." I'm sorry, but colonialism was what was going on back then, and the fact that they had sticks and stones and white people had guns isn't our fault. If it was me, I would let them integrate into our society, instead of listening to them whine about all the free shit we've given them for something that happened hundreds of years ago, and was a very normal thing hundreds of years ago. I think it's terrible that they get tax off of things, free education and free land, just because their ancestors lived in the 18th ****ing century.

That said, I do have native friends (not reserve friends, friends who have a little bit of native in them and take advantage of the free education, but none of my friends are proud to be native), and I don't outwardly hate on "NATIVE PRIDE WOOH" natives, but I always have some contempt for them when first meeting them.
Last edited by 20cdndollars at May 29, 2010,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Leave.

suck it

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Thread is depressing.

People don't realize that crime and drug use are usually the result of poverty, and these groups are almost ALWAYS systematically forced into poverty.

Then the cycle goes on and on and it is almost impossible to escape.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
Thread is depressing.

People don't realize that crime and drug use are usually the result of poverty, and these groups are almost ALWAYS systematically forced into poverty.

Then the cycle goes on and on and it is almost impossible to escape.

I didn't want to post too much in the thread, seeing as I want to accurately gauge people's opinions, so THANK YOU for posting this. I would have deleted the thread already, except I want to hear European opinions on it, as they will be free of the racist bias that we tend to have over here.
Quote by 20cdndollars
I will get flamed for this post.

Aboriginals are the only group I have bias against. Most natives are fine, but the one's who are hardcore "NATIVE PRIDE WOOH" are people who I really, really hate. A lot of them are poor, dirty and kind of gross, which I guess happens with any race, but there's that bias I'm talking about.

What makes me the most furious, is the ones who are constantly whining about how "the white man stole their land." I'm sorry, but colonialism was what was going on back then, and the fact that they had sticks and stones and white people had guns isn't our fault. If it was me, I would let them integrate into our society, instead of listening to them whine about all the free shit we've given them for something that happened hundreds of years ago, and was a very normal thing hundreds of years ago. I think it's terrible that they get tax off of things, free education and free land, just because their ancestors lived in the 18th ****ing century.

That said, I do have native friends, and I don't outwardly hate on "NATIVE PRIDE WOOH" natives, but I always have some contempt for them when first meeting them.

I agree with most of this post. People forget that a lot of these native groups were hostile to each other. Survival of the fittest, as my war torn Grandfather always says.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I agree with most of this post. People forget that a lot of these native groups were hostile to each other. Survival of the fittest, as my war torn Grandfather always says.

"Might makes right" is really what both of you're proposing.

Guess I can just go grab my gun and take your guitars since you feel this way.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by meow1992

Yeah, but if someone stole my great great great great great great grandfather's house and gave him AIDS, I wouldn't hold anything against that person's great great great great great great grandson. What exactly are they entitled to? Yeah, the Europeans came and took their land. That's how things worked back then. Do you think that Native American tribes weren't killing each other and taking land before the Europeans got here?
Quote by TunerAddict
"Might makes right" is really what both of you're proposing.

Guess I can just go grab my gun and take your guitars since you feel this way.

Wrong. It was the social norm back then, (and still into the 70's, seemingly) despite it being wrong. Nowadays it isn't, so no, you couldn't just go grab your gun and take his guitars because he feels that way. I believe that'd get you arrested or something.
By I'll be honest, I am a bit racist to the natives (Labrador Innu) in my area. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike all of them, but when over 60% of the population is deemed unwell by Stats Canada (meaning they have a preventable disease like diabetes or an alcohol/drugs addiction), and they're the only ones I ever see drunk walking around town camping in random patches of forest, it's kinda of hard not to be predjudice.
Quote by TheChaz
Yeah, but if someone stole my great great great great great great grandfather's house and gave him AIDS, I wouldn't hold anything against that person's great great great great great great grandson. What exactly are they entitled to? Yeah, the Europeans came and took their land. That's how things worked back then. Do you think that Native American tribes weren't killing each other and taking land before the Europeans got here?

Not only does this have little to do with the purpose of my thread, it is riddled with ignorance.
Quote by Pat_s1t
By I'll be honest, I am a bit racist to the natives (Labrador Innu) in my area. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike all of them, but when over 60% of the population is deemed unwell by Stats Canada (meaning they have a preventable disease like diabetes or an alcohol/drugs addiction), and they're the only ones I ever see drunk walking around town camping in random patches of forest, it's kinda of hard not to be predjudice.

Comes from the poverty, not because of their genetics.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by TheChaz

I don't see what your point is...

Care to explain?

I haven't seen anyone saying anyone is entitled to anything.

However, to deny that present day aboriginal peoples ARE still impacted by the facts of what happened is just ignorant. It is turning a blind eye to reality and deluding yourself.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Actually, in my experience, around here there's hardly any prejudice against Indians (or at least what's left of them). People here practically worship them. Seems like everyone here claims to be "one thirty-second Cherokee".
Quote by beetroot10
Not being racist but this is what I do think of the Aboriginals of Australia, yes we have came to there country and basically wiped them out BUT the ones that i do no personally dont try in school, talk very bad and play the sterotypical Aboriginal (besides sniffing petrol) ALL of the ones that i know Smoke, dont try in school have stolen at least once have bad manners (swear a lot there personally favourite seems to be "what Cvnt?" and what does annoy me most is when they say Austrya its said AustraLIA however compared to the other native cultures to other Countries such as Tongans are all well mannered, polite im good friends with a tongan and we have many in our school who are all polite will be very inviting to talk to even have given me a lift home as they where on their way to football training.

I am not racist i dont go around degrading Aboriginals these are just my views on what i have witnessed from many.

QFT right there! Seriously, if they want social equality, they better treat me as equal. In Sydney especially, I know many people who got robbed by Aboriginals in Redfern and around it. You can't expect to take out your hatred of the government on general people and be liked.

Fact is in Australia, if you work for it, its pretty easy to set up a good life. Many immigrants are now doing some good earning. Immigrants go through more racism than Aboriginals do. And if they can come here and set up a good life, why can't Aboriginals do it too?
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Wrong. It was the social norm back then, (and still into the 70's, seemingly) despite it being wrong. Nowadays it isn't, so no, you couldn't just go grab your gun and take his guitars because he feels that way. I believe that'd get you arrested or something.

No...

Their entire argument was that its ok because its just how it is, that they had guns v sticks or whatever. That is saying that might makes right. I don't remember seeing the argument presented as social norm. But even if it was presented in that way, it still isn't relevant. Its always wrong to do wrong, and we should acknowledge when wrong is done. That is why we look at slavery as wrong now, even though it was seen as an acceptable social norm of the time.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Not only does this have little to do with the purpose of my thread, it is riddled with ignorance.

The first have was a response to someone else. Also, your OP mentioned that politicians never address the issues surrounding natives, which implies that you think that something special needs to be done for them, which implies that they are entitled to something. And what exactly were the ignorance riddled parts of my post?
Quote by TheChaz
The first have was a response to someone else. Also, your OP mentioned that politicians never address the issues surrounding natives, which implies that you think that something special needs to be done for them, which implies that they are entitled to something. And what exactly were the ignorance riddled parts of my post?

It does not imply they are entitled to anything but equality by mentioning that political issues involving natives are never covered. Hell, I'm sure you could come up with political issue that didn't involve any entitlement at all.

You're really stretching.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by StewieSwan
Comes from the poverty, not because of their genetics.

Actually there are some genetic factors that predispose , and ill call them Native Americans for my case, to Diabetes(big big factor. alot of tribes have incidence of diabetes that is unreal where 60% of the children by age 5 will have late adult stage diabetes), mental problems like schizophrenia and problems with addictive substances. However that is no reason to treat someone differently and show them less respect than a normal person.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by TheChaz

Well you show general knowledge about aboriginals and what happened in the past due to your comment that natives "killed each other for land" when the concept of owning land was completely alien to them.

I think it should be discussed, because as we can see the conditions on reservations are terrible and racism is fairly widespread, yet there is no real initiative for improving either of these things. The terrible conditions lead to a shitload of problems, yet nothing is done in order to help. The political issues between government and natives are complex, and they should at least be discussed by political parties. It also contradicts the whole nation-wise belief of multi-culturalism and equality when we treat our natives so poorly and with such a lack of respect.
Anyone else find it funny how half the posts in this thread are along the lines of;

I'm not racist, but damn those aboriginals are all drunk crooks!

ITT: People that don't understand the concept of racism.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Page 1 of 4