Ok this is to replace my completely tardo last thread. I want to know, in your opinion, what is the best amp for metal? I do NOT want a super fancy amp with a billion effects and crap. I want a normal amp, like with 2 effects clean and distortion. I have a multi effects processor so i dont care about amp effects. I know that under 200 might be cheap, but its all i have for now. So, which amp do you think i should get?
Btw! I want solid state not tube
Last edited by Shawn8864 at May 29, 2010,
The Vypyr 30 is the best amp for metal under $200 new, but unfortunately for you, it has "a billion effects and crap".

Save up some more and go for an Ampeg VH140c or SS140c, or maybe the Crate GX140c or GT3500H.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Vypyr 30 is the best amp for metal under $200 new, but unfortunately for you, it has "a billion effects and crap".

Save up some more and go for an Ampeg VH140c or SS140c, or maybe the Crate GX140c or GT3500H.

+1.

Honestly, its easy to dail in good metal tone with the "billion effects and crap"
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Lol u guys r likein that phrase. Im just sayin i dont need the effects, i have the pedal. Btw, i have tried the vypyr and i like it, but its rlly complicated.
Yes, but once you figure it out it will feel like second nature.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Ok you cant convince me to want the effects. I akready have the effects and i dont want more of the same thing. I can get almost any effect i want wih my footpedal. I know for a fact that the effects make the amps more expensive. The vypyr 30 is 200 and ive seen amps wih out effects for less. Ive seen 65 watts for $170 yesterday
I will recommend at least getting a cheap/saving a bit more for a tube amp. I don't care what it is if you can get the sound you want out of it you'll be a million times better off than with a solid state. When I first joined a band I had a 1x12 60W johnson that would've worked perfectly fine but no I went out and bought a B-52 head and a cheap 4x12 cab and I wish I would've just saved my money now that I know better and have a couple nice amps.
I have a huge fear if rays.
your best bet is honestly the Vypyr, there is no requirement to use a single effect thats built into the unit and its not added price on to the unit as its still the best amp in the price range your looking at.

if it bothers you that much get the Vypyr 15 atleast you dont have the stompboxes aswell as rack effects.

you said in your last post you founf a 65w ano for only $170, thats not the point you could get a 200w amp for $200 if you looked but im sure it would sound shit.

after all if you want to spend $200 and get no effects or anything extra you could always get a Marshall MG
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
ok man, if you have a multi effects, why do you want a metal amp? it seems youd want an amp with good cleans that works well with effects pedals. in that case, for 200,

New:
Bugera V5
Fender Champ
Epiphone Valve Junior

Used:
ZT lunchbox
Vox AC4TV
Crate V16

Yes, most of those are tube. Why? Because they'll sound best clean or distorted and allow you to get the most volume per watt. They're 2-3x louder than a SS of the same wattage, and they sound good throughout their entire volume range. Plus, they'll take to your pedal better.

If you really require SS, get the ZT Lunchbox, Fender FM series, or a crate GX series. The Vypyr is still IMO your best bet, but there's plenty more options for you right there.

You're welcome.
Honestly, you're not going to buy a amp because it has effects?
Are you ****ing stupid or something. Its not like just because it has effects, its instantly going to sound horrible clean or distorted. It hardly makes them more expensive either.
for 200 bucks? you can have a valve jr. that's about it.
The truth is shit's expensive. You're not gonna get much with 200. In fact buying an amp for 200 is like throwing your money away because you'll need to upgrade in order to do anything more then practice or get mic'd up for a gig.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
for 200 bucks? you can have a valve jr. that's about it.
The truth is shit's expensive. You're not gonna get much with 200. In fact buying an amp for 200 is like throwing your money away because you'll need to upgrade in order to do anything more then practice or get mic'd up for a gig.

A valve Jr. for metal? You are strictly joking.
Unless you keep saving, a vypyr 30 is about all your gonna get. They are bada$$ amps though, I throughly recommend them as great starter amps, practice amps, or just plain versitile amps!

However, another $300 gets you a used 5150.....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by mcconnachiea
A valve Jr. for metal? You are strictly joking.

no I'm saying that other then the vyper that's all 200 buys you. A valve jr or a vox ac4 or whatever.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Shawn8864
Ok you cant convince me to want the effects. I akready have the effects and i dont want more of the same thing. I can get almost any effect i want wih my footpedal. I know for a fact that the effects make the amps more expensive. The vypyr 30 is 200 and ive seen amps wih out effects for less. Ive seen 65 watts for $170 yesterday

Watts do not a good amp make.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Lolwatt?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Kanthras
Watts do not a good amp make.

well... it'd be hard for an amp to be good if they didn't have any watts you wouldn't be able to hear it. and i think thats a necessary prereq for an amp to be considered good

the other way though... yeah, having watts doesnt necessarily make it good. but it does make it audible. which is a prerequisite to goodness. so i wouldnt bash on watts... they're just a measurement anyways.

im totally screwin around lol it's 4:30am here
Quote by josephde
well... it'd be hard for an amp to be good if they didn't have any watts you wouldn't be able to hear it. and i think thats a necessary prereq for an amp to be considered good

the other way though... yeah, having watts doesnt necessarily make it good. but it does make it audible. which is a prerequisite to goodness. so i wouldnt bash on watts... they're just a measurement anyways.

im totally screwin around lol it's 4:30am here

Well, of course an amp has to have some watts, else it wouldn't be called an amplifier. What I meant is that having lots of watts doesn't make the amp good.

You're probably drunk anyway, so I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by josephde
ok man, if you have a multi effects, why do you want a metal amp? it seems youd want an amp with good cleans that works well with effects pedals. in that case, for 200,

New:
Bugera V5
Fender Champ
Epiphone Valve Junior

Used:
ZT lunchbox
Vox AC4TV
Crate V16

Yes, most of those are tube. Why? Because they'll sound best clean or distorted and allow you to get the most volume per watt. They're 2-3x louder than a SS of the same wattage, and they sound good throughout their entire volume range. Plus, they'll take to your pedal better.

If you really require SS, get the ZT Lunchbox, Fender FM series, or a crate GX series. The Vypyr is still IMO your best bet, but there's plenty more options for you right there.

You're welcome.

Ok this might sound crazy, but i heard fender frontman has nice clean sound if u want it to. So if i used my effects with that, would it be any good?
I sold my old broken down Valvestate 8240 and bought a new Peavey Vypyr 30 for 220 bucks and this amp is the best investment I've made under 500 bucks. I'm going to get a footswitch for it so I can switch between 12 presets I've saved. There's so much to do with this thing. for practising what else do you want but wicked diversity and good sound? Sure it's not a tube amp, but it does a really good job handling a wide variety of music. Buy it and shut up. All the effects don't make the sound it produces any worse.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by Shawn8864
Ok this might sound crazy, but i heard fender frontman has nice clean sound if u want it to. So if i used my effects with that, would it be any good?

depends on how you define nice cleans... it's no worse than any other SS amps in that price range... the tube amps will have better cleans and be just as loud, but I suppose if I were only allowed to pick a SS, thats what I'd pick to run effects through if I couldnt find a used ZT lunchbox