I have to make so many threads don't I...

Anyway I need a newer louder amp than my 15w that I have right now and I was wondering if there'd be any difference between two Rocktron V50s, one being 2x8 speaker and one being 1x12, though otherwise identical in specs and pricing. Or should I just f**k rocktron altogether? I'm trying to keep it under $250.

Side note- http://www.guitarcenter.com/ZT-Lunchbox-200W-1x6-5-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105497689-i1475411.gc WTF
Last edited by rhcp4ever77 at May 29, 2010,
A 1x12 will always sound better than a 2x8 with comparable speakers. 2x12 is the sweet spot for versatility, great sound and easy to move around.
As for specifics regarding Rocktron? Never even seen one and being solid state I'd just walk by one without noticing anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A 1x12 will always sound better than a 2x8 with comparable speakers. 2x12 is the sweet spot for versatility, great sound and easy to move around.
As for specifics regarding Rocktron? Never even seen one and being solid state I'd just walk by one without noticing anyway.

Thanks. I guess that tiny 200w is proof size means absolutely nothing... Smaller than my 15w and nearly 15x as powerful.
Well it's pretty easy to go up in power without going up in size with a SS amp as long as you have decent heatsinking. All it is is a few extra FETs and a bigger power supply tranny. I have a 1000W PA amp that is half the size as a 100W Marshall head - heavier though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Rocktron V50 D isn't a bad amp IIRC, but it's been so long since I used one that I'm not exactly a reliable source. What I do remember is that it has a nice marshall-ish distortion and it's loud enough that you don't have to push it into muddiness. Again: I haven't heard the thing in years. I'd say go for the 112. Good mix of portability and tone.

Again - Rocktron is actually pretty good for solid state if I remember right.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by AcousticMirror
200 watts will only be a little over twice as loud as fifteen watts.

That would depend on what 15W he currently has and what speaker it has. Not all 15W'ers are born equal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror
200 watts will only be a little over twice as loud as fifteen watts.

I said power not loudness...