Im looking to buy my first acoustic. I know my best bet would be to go down to Long and Mcquade and try them out, but the nearest music store is 9 hours away, and im wanting the guitar for my summer break.

Would someone be able to recommend me a few guitars within the $350-$550 CDN price range? Thanks!
Quote by DarkTom666
Attention Pit monkeys, Canada > USA, that is all.
They are a bit bright sounding, but in the inexpensive/mid pride guitar realm I think Yamaha really offers the best quality bang for buck. Takamine acoustics are real nice, (I have a EAN-10C) but you can't get one for 550 CAD(other than G series or Jasmines). If you want a tak, spend 900-1200 CAD. As little paint or clear coat as possible will make for a nicer sounding guitar, but you do have to be a bit more careful with it. As with everything in life its a trade off.
I was starting to look at the Taylor Big Baby. Anyone have any experience with these?
Quote by DarkTom666
taylor big babies are pretty well made, and if you like the sound and feel of them, there's no reason not to buy one.

i also recommend you check out a seagull s6 as they're really great guitars. seagull is a brand i particularly like, and being as they're made in canada, they're also a bit cheaper there.
Big baby is scaled down isn't it. Unless you yourself are scaled down in size then I am sure you will eventually want the extra size. Especially if you start playing with friends. I had a smaller cheapo acoustic as a first guitar, and it was totally drowned out when playing with other people (prolly was a good thing though). I have not tried the Big Baby though, so take it or leave it.
I do have a buddy with a Seagull S6, very nice sounding guitar and well made. I would recommend trying them too. If you like the headstock....
If you really trust yourself or a friend used isn't a bad route either, acoustic guitars sound a lot better as they age. I bought a lightly played mid-90's Martin D-1 for 600 in Vancouver, and man I love that guitar. It sounds so good compared to a new one.
the big baby is only a tiny bit scaled down - i think it's a 17/18th scale. it's much bigger than a mini dread.
Well it looks lik the taylor big baby is out. I was planning on buying through musiciansfriend and they don't ship that guitar to Canada.

So i narrowed my choices down to
Takamine G360S $450.00
Seagull S6 $400.00
Blueridge BR-60 $440.00

Which of these would be best for the money?

If anyone else has any suggestions that would be great. The problem is, is that I don't know what to look for in acoustic guitars. I've been playing electric for 2 years, so im not a total beginner. The only thing i want for sure is a dreadnought shape. Thanks for the replies by the way
Quote by DarkTom666
the s6 and the blueridge are both good - i see you're considering the rosewood version rather than the mahogany b&s br-40. you can't go wrong with either of these guitars but here are main differences:

the s6 has a wider neck than the blueridge. good for fingerstyle, but as an electric player you may prefer the narrower neck.

the s6 has a 24.84" scale and the blueridge has a 25.5" scale.

the blueridge has more bass in the tone but the s6 has sparkle at the top end (and don't get me wrong - the s6 still has bass, more than the big baby)

the blueridge has a gloss finish and the s6 has a semi gloss finish, which isn't totally flat like a satin finish but isn't really shiny, either. i quite like both finishes.

the s6 has a cedar top and the blueridge has a spruce top. that may make it a bit louder, but the s6 in my experience has a tiny bit fuller sound, which compensates well.
thats good to know, thanks. Yeah i would definately prefer the narrower neck.
I also looked at the Silver Creek D-170 Guitar for $400

Anyone have experiece with this one?
Quote by DarkTom666
although it is all solid, this guitar tends to be less reliable qualitywise. a bunch of guys at agf bought them when they went on super sale a few times, and around half of the guys had to send them back at least once to get one without cracks or other issues. some had to send back two to get a good one, and one poor guy ended up with four before he got one without problems. even at that, build quality is okay at best.

you can find an all-solid recording king for a similar price if you search, and although i hear they're made in the same factory as the silver creeks, they are made for a different company that seems to require more care. the recording kings have a v neck, but i've heard good things. they won't sound as good as a solid blueridge or better, but they'll be at least up to a parkwood or a bit better.

Quote by ExtraFeatures
thats good to know, thanks. Yeah i would definately prefer the narrower neck.
I also looked at the Silver Creek D-170 Guitar for $400

Anyone have experiece with this one?
Quote by ExtraFeatures
Im looking to buy my first acoustic. I know my best bet would be to go down to Long and Mcquade and try them out, but the nearest music store is 9 hours away, and im wanting the guitar for my summer break.

Would someone be able to recommend me a few guitars within the $350-$550 CDN price range? Thanks!

I would second Leigh|esp in that Takamine guitars are excellent starters. I started on a Jasmine by Takamine (which I got from a Guitars for Veterans program) it would cost about $100 (American) and I am more than happy with it. I don't intend to change 6 strings for quite some time (ie. until I am done buying all my harmonicas and a bass).
Epiphone EJ 200 CE
Oscar Schmidt 12 String
Magnatone Zephyr
Several harmonicas
Kenucky Mandolin
Crestwood Resonator
Dean Playmate Acoustic Bass
Jasmine By Takamine S35