Poll: Does it offend you when people use the word "rape" like in the OP?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does it offend you when people use the word "rape" like in the OP?
Yeppers
27 18%
Noppers
120 82%
Voters: 147.
Page 1 of 2
Have you guys noticed how some people sort of use the word "rape" to replace "own" and say things like "Yeah, the Cardinals raped the Astros last night"?

Does this bother you? I dunno, I've always been really annoyed when people throw around the word like that, and I find it kind of offensive. Am I the only one?
Quote by The Madcap
Have you guys noticed how some people sort of use the word "rape" to replace "own" and say things like "Yeah, the Cardinals raped the Astros last night"?

Does this bother you? I dunno, I've always been really annoyed when people throw around the word like that, and I find it kind of offensive. Am I the only one?

Aww come on! Why did you have to remind me of those piss poor games?! God the Astros suck so hard this season.

No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I never once found it funny.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by The Madcap
Have you guys noticed how some people sort of use the word "rape" to replace "own"

To be honest, I'm more disturbed by people using the word 'own' to replace 'beat' or 'defeat' etc.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I don't get offended by it at all. Usually it's pretty clear (to me at least) when someone is just speaking in jest or being genuinely serious.

I can understand how some would find it as a particularly sensitive subject, however.
how is 'own' any better than 'rape'? they're both slang propagated by youth.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
On the internet, it seems everyone uses that and it's not too disturbing. In real life, however, I know one girl who was raped, and it's really a sad thing.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I only use rape in extreme cases.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by aig91
It is kind of immature and annoying.

+1
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Quote by Snake™
I only use rape in extreme cases.

You, sir, have earned the deletion of my entire sig in exchange for this quote. Congrats.
I only use the word "rape" to shock people. It made a conversation with my girlfriends friend, who was raped the previous month, all the more awkward.
I hate it. Enough that I have actually confronted people about it. Which would surprise you if you knew me irl.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Offend? No, not me personally, but the usage would definitely offend many. I avoid it mostly because I just think it sounds dopey and makes the speaker sound like they lack a little class.

I would use retard and fag in my younger days. I cringe now if I hear fag being thrown around.
Quote by whitenihilist
I perfer the term "grape" personally.

I totally graped those dudes in TF2 last night etc...

Yeah!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq051BU2MY

Grapist!!!!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I'm not necessarily offended, I just find it incredibly irritating.

My problem with the use of the word "rape" in this manner is twofold: first, and probably most obvious, rape is disgusting and I don't find it witty, clever or in any way humorous when used in such a lighthearted manner. Secondly, it seems really childish and gives the impression that you have a poor vocabulary.

Offend? No, not me personally, but the usage would definitely offend many. I avoid it mostly because I just think it sounds dopey and makes the speaker sound like they lack a little class.

I would use retard and fag in my younger days. I cringe now if I hear fag being thrown around.

Yeah, basically this.

EDIT:
I voted "yeppers" rather "noppers", since I don't like or feel indifferent towards it.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by macmancometh

Everything in this post is win.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
It's annoying and I never once found it funny.

I have learned to tolerate it since every reply in the Pit used to be (and still is) "rape".
LARGE TEXT
I wouldn't say I'm offended, but I do think it's pretty goddamn stupid. Alternatively, I think it's stupid when playing Halo or COD or whatever first person shooter you enjoy and people shout out "I killed that n****r!" Now, I might just be saying this cause I'm black, but I think it's pretty stupid.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Rape has long accepted, non-sexual definitions and has likely been used in that sort of sense for longer than own.
It doesn't offend me personally, but I do think it is immature to use throw that word around caually and think that it wouldn't offend some people wouldn't take offense to it
Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me-
I don't say it, but I don't find it offensive when other people do.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by crackerpleaz
You, sir, have earned the deletion of my entire sig in exchange for this quote. Congrats.

I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I never used to find it offensive, but since I was put on bail accused of rape, and lost 5 months of my life because one of my "friends" decided that she hadnt gotten enough attention for the week, I do take rape jokes to heart a little now.
lawl. One time, when I was in Tennessee, I was telling my friends something along the lines of "if my dad found out, he'd rape me." I meant figuratively, not actual sodomy. But I forgot that the way we use it back at home probably doesn't translate here, and my friends just kinda looked at each other and went "uh...is that like a punishment there or something?"

Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Page 1 of 2