Hey there, so I've been running into a lot of problems searching for a cabinet for my future Peavey 6505 or Bugera 6262, the most highly recommended cabs are not playable. I've ruled out Marshall pretty much, it's just not the tone for me. I also need to try a mesa 2x12 and orange 2x12 in person, I've heard 4x12's in person but not the 2x12's, now i'm set on buying a 2x12 because frankly they're a much better deal for what I need one for. Anyways my problem is a hear great things about Vader, Earcandy, and Avatar. Now it's pretty much assumed that Avatar is beatable if you go up in price, which i'm willing to do. I hear the same for Vader, they're great live but going up a few hundred bucks gives you a better all around amp. So this is mostly about Earcandy cabs, I looked into what it'd cost me to get one with Celestion V30's and the apparel I would want which ran at about $800, now getting just purely functionality I could shave it down to about $680, the mesa 2x12 is only $612 new (and that's without a 10% discount and whatever I can haggle) so what is the selling point for an amp that you can't play in person until you buy one, and is more expensive than the tried and true Mesa recto? Is the sound quality or durability a lot higher? I'm mostly asking because I want to veer away from the crowd a bit, everyone has a 6505 going through a Marshall or a Mesa, which is great, but sounding like everyone else all the time gets boring.

Now i'm going to take a wild stab and say the Earcandy cabs are mostly sold on the fact you can customize EVERYTHING, which is really neat, but for us less experienced people who don't know exactly what we want because we don't have years of trying things, it's a little confusing.

Also before you question me on the 10% discount thing (if you were considering it) give me an instance where one of the major guitar retailers aren't offering 10-15% haha, so I pretty much assume i'll get at least that.

Again, thank you in advance for all your consistently wonderful comments, also if you get sick of me posting these threads about cabinets i'd love to chat with some experienced people so if you wouldn't mind adding me or whatever you have to do it'd be much appreciated.
This is your like 3 millionth thread about cabs. What have you asked here that you couldn't have asked in your other cab thread.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Not sure what to tell you. If you're thinking price really matters then you answered all your own questions. I have a Vader 2x12 and absolutely love it but of course that's just me. If you're sold on Earcandy, go with them. Tons of good cabs out there. Maybe it's not the same for everyone but at least for me, buying the Vader was a leap of faith I took and I'm glad I did. I guess weigh your options, figure out what options may suit you best and take a stab at it.
You can't get discounts on Mesa. What you see is what you pay.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
where have you heard good things about earcandy or vader for that matter? I haven't heard any good things about them. Do you actually have a budget? Are you thinking about having this cab carry you over for the long term? The peavey might benefit from an awesome cab but with the bugera you're not going to hear the difference between a decent cab and a great cab. There are only a few cabs that are utter useless shit. MG, Bugera, Raven,

There are a few cabs that are decent. The jet city 212, the avatar 212s. The mesa is a good 212. The orange ppc212cb is a great 212. Those run around 750 if you get them from a store?

At 750 you have access to any of the boutique cabs. Bogner, CAA, Orange, Port City, Splawn whatever. If this is your first cab you won't hear the difference between any of them. The speakers are going to matter much more there then the cab itself. You will never run your head loud enough or need it to be precise enough that you'll be able to hear the difference.

What's your total budget anyway?

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/cabinets.html#2x12

1099 212 loaded with scumincos. That's the best 212 you'll ever buy.
Definatly take a look at Mills Acoustics if you haven't.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by AcousticMirror
The peavey might benefit from an awesome cab but with the bugera you're not going to hear the difference between a decent cab and a great cab.

lol

Still carrying that Bugera grudge, I see.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Honestly, here's my thing about buying boutique gear or expensive gear in general. If I can't hear much of a difference between say, a boutique cabinet and a Marshall cab, then of course I wouldn't buy the boutique one. If the boutique cabinet sounded superior enough that I think to myself, "I need this for my tone, it won't work without it.' I'll be walking home with that Bogner cabinet.

Your ears should be the judge in the end. If the cheaper cabinet works better with your rig, it works better. I suggest you play through the cabinets you're considering extensively (if possible) to get the best results for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
fair enough the marshall didnt work for your tone
but i dont think you should get caught up in trying to be original when it comes to cabs pretty much every cab you mentioned has v30s therefore the only real difference you'll find is the bass response if you can't try the boutique cabs and there going to cost more
go with something you can try and if you like it then atleast you'll know you won't regret buying it
Quote by Kanthras
lol

I honestly don't think you'll hear a difference with most amps. Especially at bedroom volume. I can't hear a difference between my valvestate cab and my top hat cab at low volumes. At louder volumes one rattles and the other doesn't. At really loud volumes the valvestate starts to suck.
The earcandy buzzbomb is a fantastic cab. I've been using one for a few months now, and it seems to be working out. If you can afford them, mills acoustics..but they are pretty high up in pirce..

Vader sound ok, I've never tried one. You can't go wrong with a mesa recto.

Bogner make FANTASTIC cabinets, you should definitely consider them
Quote by Kanthras
lol

There's no denying the cabs are shit.

Hell, more than half the better brand name retail cabs are shit as well, so don't feel as though it's the Bugera name hurting it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
There's no denying the cabs are shit.

Hell, more than half the better brand name retail cabs are shit as well, so don't feel as though it's the Bugera name hurting it.

Sure, but I was replying to his comment about the OP's amps there.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Sure, but I was replying to his comment about the OP's amps there.

you won't here the difference with most amps. unless its a dumble, xtc or something it doesnt make a difference unless its a scumback or a 60s marshall.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you won't here the difference with most amps. unless its a dumble, xtc or something it doesnt make a difference unless its a scumback or a 60s marshall.

That's fine, but what prompted me to respond was that you said the Peavey would benefit and the Bugera won't.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
That's fine, but what prompted me to respond was that you said the Peavey would benefit and the Bugera won't.

no I just forgot to mention the peavey. Same amp right? doesn't matter really. Avatar is sufficient but Denied says the earcandy is good and I trust him.
Quote by AcousticMirror
no I just forgot to mention the peavey. Same amp right? doesn't matter really. Avatar is sufficient but Denied says the earcandy is good and I trust him.

Quote by AcousticMirror
The peavey might benefit from an awesome cab but with the bugera you're not going to hear the difference between a decent cab and a great cab.

Maybe I misunderstand or you made a typo or something.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Is this for bedroom playing or jamming/gigging?

Something you have to realize is that even if you can demo all these cabs, first impressions, in reality, mean little. Speakers need to be broken in over time with some high volume playing. Most new speakers often sound cold, stiff and dull. They need to be excersized in order to hear their full potential.
As for boutique vs mainstream brands, that's entirely up to the player. For me, as long as the cab has quality speakers, I make it work for me. Some I prefer more than others, but there are other variables that come into play with that as well. Like your amp and guitar. To a player, a certain amp will sound better through a certain cab than another. Same goes for guitars.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at May 30, 2010,