I recorded an acoustic song (which is eventually going to end up full band) again through my usb mic. It's somewhat inspired by the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind lyric-wise but I ended up changing it because I didn't want to feel constrained by the movie.

You can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FseeicEawuo

Any thoughts, feedback, and criticism would be awesome. Thanks!
If you are going to keep this instrumental I suggest you add more parts to spice it up. Hearing the same 2 chords over and over again is boring. If you will add lyrics eventually then it's fine the way it is.

Remember this. The mind thrives on change. The more things that change in the song the more the audience will pay attention.
Last edited by Phat Stud 55 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Phat Stud 55
If you are going to keep this instrumental I suggest you add more parts to spice it up. Hearing the same 2 chords over and over again is boring. If you will add lyrics eventually then it's fine the way it is.

Remember this. The mind thrives on change. The more things that change in the song the more the audience will pay attention.

That's so true. Usually when I write songs I write them without lyrics in mind so I try to add on a lot of things to make it more interesting to listen to. But with this song I had lyrics in mind while I was writing it so it changed my writing process.

I will probably add on little things here and there. Thanks for the input
I like it. It's pretty groovin for an acoustic tune. I think you should add in some lyrics/vocals and it'll be a great song.
Quote by Phat Stud 55

Generally speaking, too much change will confuse the mind and the average listener will not like it. At the same time, a simple and repetitive progression without any change at all does not stimulate the mind and it will be boring for the listener. You need to find the balance between these. A song that switches between 6 chord progressions before it's done will not be a good song and will not be melodically pleasing (generally speaking). A song that stays the same chord progression the entire song could potentially be a great song, but just make sure you are adding a catchy lead line and/or vocals to spice it up. The human mind thrives for predictability, but at the same time you do not want the song so plain and simple that the audience is not interested in the song at all.

As was previously said, I think that vocals will greatly improve the song. The rhythm guitar was great, and catchy, it just got too repetitive after a while. I liked the lead lines you did add in, but there wasn't enough of them (:
Last edited by Riffdex at May 30, 2010,
Considering the feel of the song I think you've married to very disparate ideas that would work better on their own (along with similar parts). The change in the groove for the second part effectively kills the feel of the first part, which I think is awesome, and that's a shame. It might get better with lyrics/vocals but I don't see how it can be truly good with that abrupt shift. I'll withhold ultimate judgment until you've recorded it with vocals but I really suggest splitting those ideas into two songs.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Not bad... Although I think the change in feel is a little bit too much. I'd make them into two different songs, and develop each idea because they both have potential. Just add some Dallas Green style vocals and you'll be good to go! Crit mine?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319540
i thought all of the parts actually worked well together. it was different enough to provide a good change, and yet i felt it was just similar enough to work together.

the playing was good. i liked the parts where you had the second guitar doing a more melodic thing. or at least something a bit different from the main guitar. i felt like thats where the variation was, and it sounded good.

however, overall it was still a bit repetative without vocals. youve got a solid foundation with some nice guitar parts and some nice layering. just a bit dull right now since there isnt anything to spice it up.

green link in my sig if you want to return the crit.