Alright. So I bought a Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, and after drooling over Stevie Ray Vaughan, wanted to put thicker strings on it. So I bought the D'Addario 11-49 wound 3rd set and put them on.

Problem 1: Whenever I would go to bend the G, I could only bend it like a half step, and a whole step required me to almost pull the string off the fretboard. Is this normal?

Problem 2: Whenever I tried to bend the G-A strings at the 2nd fret (think "Are You Gonna Go My Way" riff"), the strings would pop right out of the nut slot. So I tried to sand the G's nut slot down and made the problem worse.

What are the solutions to this problem? I'm thinking for a possible replacement nut, purchasing a Fender roller nut. Good/bad idea?
Remember who you are, and Who's you are
Could try putting a floyd rose style locking nut on that'd stop the problem but unless your good at diy go to a pro for it, or change back to your standard gauge strings.
Well, I'd like to stick to the thicker strings. But I just wouldn't think that a string sliding and popping out of it's nut slot when bent is a normal occurence with gauge increase. I figured that the poor containment of the string at the nut is part of the insane amount of pull it takes to pitch a bend.
You may want to slot the nut deeper. You also could try a roller nut. But I would go for the deeper slotted nut
well, I kinda searched around for other threads related to this, and I remember reading someone saying "make the slot wider, NOT deeper." I ended up making like a crater where the slot was. how do I go about this? What kind of effect would a roller nut do? more stabilized tuning? Would the string be farely secure in it's slot? What does it do for the tone?
For #1: welcome to the world of pointlessly thick strings.

For #2: You'll need a good set of files to alter the nut slots - most people would buy a set of nut files. Nut alteration is something that needs to be very precise as a badly cut nut is the main reason why so many cheap guitars go out of tune constantly. A set of nut files will cost quite a lot though. In addition, if you've already buggered up your existing nut you'll need to get anew one anyway - my suggestion would be to take the guitar to a good, qualified luthier, hand them a new, good nut (a Graph Tech graphite/string saver/trem nut would be best) and ask them to install it and set the guitar up for the .11s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
for problem one, it could very well be thick strings that are the problem. also, when you're bending try bending up instead of down. if you bend towards the low E string you'll have a better time of keeping it on the fretboard.

problem two: i would definitely look into getting a replacement nut. it might be worth it to get a nice LSR roller nut or even bone or graphite if you wanted a real upgrade. once a nut is badly cut it's usually impossible to fix it. you can't really add more material to the thing, you can only really shave it off.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by MrFlibble
For #1: welcome to the world of pointlessly thick strings.

For #2: You'll need a good set of files to alter the nut slots - most people would buy a set of nut files. Nut alteration is something that needs to be very precise as a badly cut nut is the main reason why so many cheap guitars go out of tune constantly. A set of nut files will cost quite a lot though. In addition, if you've already buggered up your existing nut you'll need to get anew one anyway - my suggestion would be to take the guitar to a good, qualified luthier, hand them a new, good nut (a Graph Tech graphite/string saver/trem nut would be best) and ask them to install it and set the guitar up for the .11s.

^
This.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at May 30, 2010,
Wound strings are always harder to bend to the desired pitch than plain ones. Even if the tension of a wound string is lower than that of a plain string of the same diameter, the windings work against your fingers, making the string feel stiffer.

MrFlibble pretty much covered the 2nd issue, I would only add that you can also try to get a piece of delrin and carve a nice, self lubricating nut out of it.
I was looking at two different nuts: A Graph-Tech Trem Nut and a Fender LSR Roller Nut. Which would accomadate my string gauge hold my strings better? The Graph-Tech is definately winning my interest, since it's a good deal cheaper then the Fender

And the string comes out bending both ways. When I tried to file it myself I made the problem worse, so I'm just going to cough up the money to get a new one.
Graphtech. The roller nuts are no good for larger guage strings.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Actually the LSR can handle a standard .11 set just fine. It's not ideal for it, but it can work. That said, the LSR nut has quite a unique tone that may not to be to your tastes, especially if you're after a SRV vibe. Since the nut slot/shelf has to be modified slightly for the LSR it means once you've gone for the LSR you can't switch back to a regular nut. If you get a normal nut first you can try that out and if you don't like it then you can give the LSR a go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well then I'll go for the normal nut. Thank you for the help!