Hey, i have been stuck playing on a bass amp for the past 2 years :/ so ive not really experienced a proper guitar amp im only looking for 10w and at a push 15w as its only a bedroom amp!

These are the two ive been looking at:

Vox Pathfinder 10
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/31781-vox-pathfinder-10.html

and

Fender Frontman 10G
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/33529-fender-frontman-10g.html

Im looking for one around that price range of £60ish, i play mainly rock, blues and occasionally a bit of metal! Which of those would be best? or is there a better amp out there?

Cheers
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Maybe get a modeling amp. Roland Cube 15?

Thats a bit too much outside my price range

Quote by WtrPlyr
Played the Pathfinder a couple of times and it's a great little amp. Won't do metal too good but for blues it's great, rock too.

Don't like the Frontman

Okay i definitely like the look of the pathfinder and ive listened to a few people playing them on youtube, sounds pretty nice
Quote by ritzanu90
you can just buy one of those little marshall 3w amps and some headphones

I have a fender mini deluxe for that sort of thing need a amp that will last and is fairly cool looking
If it's looking to last maybe expand your budget a little further so you'll be happy with it for a long time and you won't look back and say "Damn, I wish I had ----" and realize you can't now.
roland microcube?

the vox is actually quite decent at what it's good at (vintage voxy tone) for a cheapo ss practice amp, but it's not versatile at all, and the fender isn't that great. if at all possible, stretch to the microcube (they used to be £65, but they may have gone up to £80).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 30, 2010,
Will the microtube give me a bluesy sort of tone?

edit: just youtubed it

I WANT ONE!!
Last edited by bengreen at May 30, 2010,
it's better at the higher gain stuff, but the ac30 or fender amp models (according to the manual i just downloaded, they're called "brit combo" and "black panel" respectively) should get close (or as close as you'll get at that price range).

also check out a vox da5. I've only tried the more expensive valvetronix series, but they're better at lower gain tones (with the cubes being better at higher gain), so if lower gain tones are more important, the da5 might be worth a look. Not sure how much it costs, though, it might be more expensive than the microcube.

oh, and if you see the cube 15x and find it's cheaper than the microcube...

The 15x doesn't have the amp models which the micro has. Neither does the 20x. You have to go up to the 30x to get the models (and it has more models than the microcube). But it's like twice the price of the micro (and at its price you'd want to be taking a look at the vox valvetronixes I mentioned.

Anyway, microcube or vox da5 (if you're more interested in lower gain tones, and if it sounds similar to the valvetronixes I've tried).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I quite like the sound of the DA5 im listening to some people on youtube now, seems to have more a blues appeal what do you think?
^ if the valvetronixes I've tried are indicative of its tone, probably.

just bear in mind, the microcube's not particularly loud (i assume that goes for the da5 too), it's pretty much practice-only. you're not really going to be able to do jams or band practices with one.

EDIT: interesting, on dv247 the vox da5 in the classic colours is actually cheaper than the microcube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
never knew about dv247 seems a nice site im still tempted towards the pathfinder because i think it looks so nice although the da5 has so much more effects type things
the classic version of the da5 looks the same as the pathfinder (except smaller)...

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/vox-da5cl-guitar-amp-combo--37899

i've never bought anything too big from dv247, but they've been fine with the few things I have bought.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
roland microcube?

the vox is actually quite decent at what it's good at (vintage voxy tone) for a cheapo ss practice amp, but it's not versatile at all, and the fender isn't that great. if at all possible, stretch to the microcube (they used to be £65, but they may have gone up to £80).

+1
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
have you tried the da5, mark?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the Pathfinder 10. The clean is quite exceptional for the price, however the dirty channel is unusable. Like totally terrible, so much noise. If you want rock and metal, this amp simply wont do it. I use a multi-effects pedal with it now and I can get a decent metal/rock sound, but since the pedal retails for about 4x the price of the amp, that seems like an uneconomical route to take.

I bought the Vox with full knowledge that I would need to upgrade in the not to near future. If you are just starting out and want to dabble, then sure pick it up. But if you want even a medium term amp, try to save up for something like a Vypyr 15 or VT15 which is pretty fun to play around and experiment with.

Sorry this doesn't answer your original question, but I havn't played a lot of amps in that price range, I just chose the Vox because of the reviews and was cheap when I bought it with my guitar.
Last edited by Effecient at May 30, 2010,
I know you're on a tight budget, but if you spend a bit more now and get a decent amp for your needs that will last you a (relatively long time (i.e. Roland Cube), you will be better off than if you saved a few bucks and bought a lower quality amp like the Fender Frontman 10G. Don't go all out and buy a vintage Vox or whatever, but spend a bit more money and get a higher quality amp. Trust me, I made the mistake of getting a Frontman 15G for cheap, and sorely regret not buying something better in the same price range.
Quote by Effecient
I have the Pathfinder 10. The clean is quite exceptional for the price, however the dirty channel is unusable. Like totally terrible, so much noise. If you want rock and metal, this amp simply wont do it. I use a multi-effects pedal with it now and I can get a decent metal/rock sound, but since the pedal retails for about 4x the price of the amp, that seems like an uneconomical route to take.

I bought the Vox with full knowledge that I would need to upgrade in the not to near future. If you are just starting out and want to dabble, then sure pick it up. But if you want even a medium term amp, try to save up for something like a Vypyr 15 or VT15 which is pretty fun to play around and experiment with.

Sorry this doesn't answer your original question, but I havn't played a lot of amps in that price range, I just chose the Vox because of the reviews and was cheap when I bought it with my guitar.

I have a multi effects pedal at the moment which is how i get the distortion, effects etc on my current amp, so i wouldnt really have a problem in getting that sort of thing, im really after the clean bluesy sort of tone
is that the main tone you're after? are you willing to use that multi-fx unit for other tones?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The frontman is junk IMO. The pathfinder is on ok beginner amp.

I've never liked the tone on the cubes at all, but they are pretty solid.

Definitely consider a vox DA5. I've used a DA5 as my travel amp for the last 5ish years, and it actually sounds pretty good. It's very versatile, anything form clean to blues/rock to metal it does just fine. The effects are also very passable.

Not the best tone in the wold, but definitely something to consider.

But honestly if you are considering this, the vox da15 is not much more expensive and a lot louder (I've used it with a drummer before). I think they are discontinued now, but you should be able to pick up a used one for pretty cheap
Quote by Dave_Mc
is that the main tone you're after? are you willing to use that multi-fx unit for other tones?

yeah thats why i got the pedal to get my other tones, the bass amp i have to use is basic so i have to use the pedal anyway!
if that's so, you could maybe even consider one of the cheap 5 watt tube amps... thomann does the harley benton ga5 (it's basically a version 2 epiphone valve junior with a tone knob) and musicstore in cologne does the fame tube 5 (which looks very like a fender champion 600 with a presence knob, but I'm not certain). You'd have to buy your own kettle lead, though as they're from germany.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if that's so, you could maybe even consider one of the cheap 5 watt tube amps... thomann does the harley benton ga5 (it's basically a version 2 epiphone valve junior with a tone knob) and musicstore in cologne does the fame tube 5 (which looks very like a fender champion 600 with a presence knob, but I'm not certain). You'd have to buy your own kettle lead, though as they're from germany.

I have absolutely no experience with tube amps, so can you possibly help me out? I Wouldnt know what to look for or anything
well, the main thing to remember is that at the lowest end of the tube amp market, you're basically completely sacrificing versatility for a better tone. You're making a judgement call that you'd rather have one or two good tones than lots of mediocre ones, and it depends on what type of music you play and what type of player you are as to whether you're willing to make that sacrifice. Also, if you want distortion to come from the amp, you have to crank it up which is LOUD (as the cheaper tube amps don't have preamp gain controls). You can use a pedal to get dirt, though, which is what you can use your multi-fx for.

it's up to you, really. if you'd rather have a more british blues tone (joe bonamassa, eric clapton in cream), go with the harley benton, if you'd rather have more american (e.g. stevie ray vaughan), go with the fame. for an idea of the tone, try out an epiphone valve junior or fender champion 600 in a local store, if you can (the fame and harley benton one probably won't sound exactly the same, but should be pretty close). try them with your multi-fx unit too, if you can. there's no point in buying one if you don't like the tone with your multi-fx.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by denied
If your using a pedal, go with the pathfinder.

A modelling amp will not take your pedal well at all?

+1

Pathfinder takes pedals pretty well and the clean tone is very good for the price.
I play through an RP255 in a stereo set up through two Pathfinder 10's (a friend gave me the second one), or just a single amp with or without an analog distortion pedal. I've had this set up almost a year, and I really haven't even gotten that deep into the Digitech because I'm still discovering new tones with just the amp and distortion pedal. Despite some opinions I've read, I think the Pathfinder's a pretty versatile amp given it's decent sound quality (both clean and overdriven) and price. I also found it to be surprisingly loud.