I'm torn between 2 guitars right now. I have to make a decision within 2 days or less.

Ibanez S420
SBMM JP50 Stealth

Both black. Ibanez has a weathered finish, JP50 has a satin finish. Ibanez has the ZR, a more extreme trem system with a locking nut, the JP50 has a floating trem with locking tuners, so I'm sure the tuning stability is fine on both.

Ibanez is mahogany, JP50 is basswood. I'm not really sure how much that will affect tone. I plan on changing to pickups to D-Activators or the Crunch Lab and Liquifire almost instantly.

I just cannot choose... I can get both for less than $500, and this will be my second guitar. I'll be upgrading from a Epi les paul studio that I've already sold.
If it would come down to looks, id pick the Stealth
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
i'd also go ibanez
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
Whatcha play?
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
Well, the JP50 is a really great guitar, as i own a PRB one. The tremolo is pretty good and does hold up well, and it definitely lasts longer than a ZR trem. You can get the action on the guitar really low if you get a good setup on it. The fact that it doesn't have a locking nut never was a problem for me and it simplified things a lot. The pickups are, however, simply put, poop. But you're swapping, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't tried the Ibanez, but the JP50 is definitely worth the money if you decide to go for it.
Ibanez ... Mahogany, ZR Tremolo, Wizard neck.
Last edited by Tyraziell at May 30, 2010,
Quote by psyguitarist
Whatcha play?

Well see, this is my problem. I play a lot of high gain shreddy stuff and progressive stuff, I like to do a lot of lead work.

But I'm mainly buying it for my alternative pop rock band I play in, as I need a new guitar because I'm guitar-less right now.

So I'm trying to find the right balance between the two. I think both guitars would work well under these conditions...
Quote by ziggymidget
Well, the JP50 is a really great guitar, as i own a PRB one. The tremolo is pretty good and does hold up well, and it definitely lasts longer than a ZR trem. You can get the action on the guitar really low if you get a good setup on it. The fact that it doesn't have a locking nut never was a problem for me and it simplified things a lot. The pickups are, however, simply put, poop. But you're swapping, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't tried the Ibanez, but the JP50 is definitely worth the money if you decide to go for it.

Wut?

Sorry but the ZR is one of the best trems out there, you must be thinking of the Edge III, at least I hope you are.

I would say the S, if its for pop punk stuff the Mahogany body will have a chunkier sound, when you decide to play your shreddy stuff it is also going to be ideal as it has the thin neck and the amazing trem system,

S all the way.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ibanez since you play the shreddy stuff..then again van halen does play with a basswood Body guitar
Last edited by psyguitarist at May 30, 2010,
I don't like wizard necks but you might find them great for what you do. Plus the Ibanez has a much better position for the volume knob = easier volume swells. The wood shouldn't mean much audible difference (they are electric solidbodies after all). The mahogany can be on the heavier side, but the Ibanez has such a skinny body it can't be a problem. The ball bearing ZR trem needs some attention from time to time (machine oil, cleaning), but then it works nicely.

For the MM, the basswood is quite soft in itself, but I'm sure the thick poly finish protects it fine from dings and scratches. I don't like the shape of the Music Man though.

All in all, Ibanez. It's just a nicer guitar.
Quote by ziggymidget

what?

the ZR is one of the best trems in it's class....and because the JP50 doesnt have a double locking mechanism,it doesn't stay in tune as the ZR with some tremolo use...

I was being nice there,due to some new rules in this thread ...but being honest,my opinion is the trem in the JP is crap compared to the ZR.......no offense to anyone
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 30, 2010,
but I'd say save up a few more bucks and buy the s570B or the 570DXQM..the weathered black finish looks *hit IMO....
I would not consider either guitar to add to my collection.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
I would not consider either guitar to add to my collection.

reason?

thats a really stupid statement to make without any valid reasons.......
Quote by archenemyfan
sorry wrong link...

here is the correct one..

Ibanez S570DXQM...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S570DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584142

That's actually what I was originally going for, but I just can't justify spending $150 more bucks just for an extra pickup and a nicer finish, when that $150 could go towards much better pickups (And still have about 30 more bucks to spend). I looked at the specs of all the non prestige S guitars, and they're all pretty much the same, so I doubt the S420 is of any less quality.

I can get the JP50 for $450, which is $100 less than the actual price... I can't help but feel it will be better quality for some reason, but everyone is telling me Ibanez. I'm just not sure I want to deal with the locking nut, when the JP50 has locking tuners. And I've heard the both stay in tune better than the other, haha.
Quote by Ignite
That's actually what I was originally going for, but I just can't justify spending $150 more bucks just for an extra pickup and a nicer finish, when that $150 could go towards much better pickups (And still have about 30 more bucks to spend). I looked at the specs of all the non prestige S guitars, and they're all pretty much the same, so I doubt the S420 is of any less quality.

I can get the JP50 for $450, which is $100 less than the actual price... I can't help but feel it will be better quality for some reason, but everyone is telling me Ibanez. I'm just not sure I want to deal with the locking nut, when the JP50 has locking tuners. And I've heard the both stay in tune better than the other, haha.

well its your decision to make,but this is what I think

The JP50 has No name locking tuners..I doubt that they hold tuning long term better than the a double locking trem

the Trem in the S5470 has ball bearings instead of knife edges,although it will require more cleaning,it will last a lifetime,as ball bearings hardly wear out

The ibanez also has locking tuners,even though it isnt necessary

Both are made in indonesia,although I cant comment on Ernie ball's indonesian quality,I can say with confidence that Ibz Indo quality is very good at the moment

You are talking about basswood vs Mahogany here..both have different tonal characteristics so preference is the case here

The Wizard two neck is really thin,I cant comment on the JP50's neck as I havent played one but I doubt that it will be thinner than the Wizard two

the ibanez has one more Pickups,so it will be little bit more versatile

hope this helps