Hello,

Has anyone had experience with the Hamer Explorer range. Can you give me a broad sense on the quality of sound and quality of feel - recommended or not? Could I get a Van Halen "brown" sound out of it with the right pick-ups?

I am a lefty, and this looks like the only Explorer available, aside from the Gibson.

Thanks kindly.
I've got one, for the price its brilliant. Mine came with SD JB/59, but I swapped them out for EMGs, just because I prefer the tone in it. Playability/quality wise it is very good. I think it would benefit from a new nut/tuners but that's about it.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
i assume you mean a korean made one. the US Standards are fantastic (but very expensive) the korean made ones are pretty good for the money. as for getting the brown sound that is more about your amp than the pickups. the duncan design pups that are in those aren't bad but fall a little short of the real ones.
Hi, yes Korean. I'm looking at one on Ebay - any thoughts, I'd be most grateful:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280511147722&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks.

Quote by monwobobbo
i assume you mean a korean made one. the US Standards are fantastic (but very expensive) the korean made ones are pretty good for the money. as for getting the brown sound that is more about your amp than the pickups. the duncan design pups that are in those aren't bad but fall a little short of the real ones.
I've played both the Vector and Standard MIK guitars. The ones with the V inlays on the neck and the cheesy cherry sunburst flame top. I find them alright guitars. It's a slimmer neck but not quite as slim as a Dean Z79 or a Jackson/ESP profile. Similar quality to a MIK Dean or an Epiphone.

The biggest thing those Hamers need are better pickups. If you are happy with how it plays then a simple pickup swap will make the thing scream
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thanks. And with respect to the pick-ups, do you think it's best to invest in upgrading one guitar with very good pickups (I currently have a Schecter with so-so EMG HZs) or get two different guitars and upgrade slowly in time? Very general question, but just curious.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I've played both the Vector and Standard MIK guitars. The ones with the V inlays on the neck and the cheesy cherry sunburst flame top. I find them alright guitars. It's a slimmer neck but not quite as slim as a Dean Z79 or a Jackson/ESP profile. Similar quality to a MIK Dean or an Epiphone.

The biggest thing those Hamers need are better pickups. If you are happy with how it plays then a simple pickup swap will make the thing scream
Quote by Nostoi
Hi, yes Korean. I'm looking at one on Ebay - any thoughts, I'd be most grateful:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280511147722&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks.
don't know about the guitar itself, but i know Tonerider make good pickups.
i've got an alnico classic in one of my guitars.
Quote by Nostoi
Thanks. And with respect to the pick-ups, do you think it's best to invest in upgrading one guitar with very good pickups (I currently have a Schecter with so-so EMG HZs) or get two different guitars and upgrade slowly in time? Very general question, but just curious.

It all depends on you. If you feel like you can deal with the HZ or can't stand them. Personally, I think it's better to have one good guitar and a decent back up just in case. So generally, I'll modify one guitar, and the next.

For most people it would probably be more beneficial to slowly upgrade the individual pieces. Or modify the best one (the keeper) and keep the other one stock so that you can sell it if need be.

You have many options, just review the best ones for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
checked the add and it seems like for the price it's a reasonably good deal. since it has some upgrades (although i'm not familiar with those pickups) i'd say go for it. it has no bids so you might just want to send the guy a lesser offer and see if he goes for it.
Thanks for all your feedback, folks. I bought the guitar.

One question - can anyone tell me what size the knob pot is on the Hamer Explorer? I would like to change the knobs for black ones. Many thanks.