Sup.

Just fishing around for any tips any of you guys have for making jam sessions more productive, especially when there isn't a drummer present.

Thanks.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Well I guess my best tip would be: RECORD YOURSELF. Since you have no drummer you have no need to be loud so you can record yourselfs on your mobile phones if you don't have anything better.
Then you can analise the recordings and find out what would sound better, correct your mistakes... + you can get a few good laughs when you hear your own mistakes.

And if you are havin' a bad day and it's a bad jam session just stop and do something else togather that day because you can be sure that its gonna be a crapy jam session no mather what you do. Try again the next day or even better the next week. - ITS PROBABLY GONNA BE MUCH BETTER. And the main point of the session is to have fun, not to be pushed in to playing.

Good luck with your jam sessions!

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
^ In regard to recording yourself, you should get a Samtech Zoom video recorder thing. my friend got one and it's amazing. It picks up all sound and it balances very evenly; even with a drummer!

/advertisement

It's all about fun man. If you guys aren't really "connecting" then just do whatever. A jam should be a need/urge/want rather than some kind of organized event you feel that you HAVE to do.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Work on vocals/vocal harmonies.

Get a new song together.

Possibly write a song, if everyone present are songwriters.

Play through your set without the drummer.

Or, exhausting all the options, don't have practice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by larrytheguitar
It's all about fun man. If you guys aren't really "connecting" then just do whatever. A jam should be a need/urge/want rather than some kind of organized event you feel that you HAVE to do.

I couldn't agree more. It doesn't need to be a session where someone sais: "OK, today we have to cover this and this and this". Actually I prefer it if its unorganizzed in somones basement where someone just starts playing a riff that he/she likes and everybody automaticly starts playing to it.
But keep in mind:
IT'LL BE THE WORST SESSION WHEN EVERYBODY IS TRYING TO START A RIFF AT THE SAME TIME. Then everybody will be irratated when everybody is gonna by playing something diffirent at the same time.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
What I've been doing with my band is one of us will come up with a chord progression and we'll just riff on it. It's actually been pretty productive, we've written a bunch of songs that way. Another good tip is to say "Hey for this one I'll do lead and you do rhythm guitar" then switch it up for the next one. Without a drummer it's important to have at least some kind of rhythmic base, you can't all be soloing, it'll be unproductive.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Is your name a Rory Gallagher reference?
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Yup, Tattoo'd Lady is actually my favorite song of his, but I didn't think it was a good user name.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
Jamming is all about feel. You can't really structure it.

A few tips:
- Let one person start or it'll be too messy.
- If there's one riff you really like try revisiting it, adding different things to it and see what you like the most.
- Have fun!
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I couldn't agree more. It doesn't need to be a session where someone sais: "OK, today we have to cover this and this and this". Actually I prefer it if its unorganizzed in somones basement where someone just starts playing a riff that he/she likes and everybody automaticly starts playing to it.

Different Strokes for Different Folks, I guess.

I'm busy. I don't have time to screw around with a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing or why they're there, aside from, "let 's just plug in and see what happens."

I might get fooled into showing up for something like that once.... but only once. I'm not coming back. When I was 15 and had nothing better to do, yeah. Now.... no way.

I find it more fun (and a more purposeful use of my time) when people show up with their homework done and we know these three songs and bang, bang, bang, it starts sounding like a band before the end of the practice. If it doesn't at least sort of happen that way, I'm not coming back.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Different Strokes for Different Folks, I guess.

I'm busy. I don't have time to screw around with a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing or why they're there, aside from, "let 's just plug in and see what happens."

I might get fooled into showing up for something like that once.... but only once. I'm not coming back. When I was 15 and had nothing better to do, yeah. Now.... no way.

I find it more fun (and a more purposeful use of my time) when people show up with their homework done and we know these three songs and bang, bang, bang, it starts sounding like a band before the end of the practice. If it doesn't at least sort of happen that way, I'm not coming back.

CT

I think you might be missing something man. We're all talking jam session, not band practice. Just a few friends, hanging out playing some guitar. Of course what you're talking is ideal for an actual practice, but it's not how a jam goes.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
It depends on the purpose of the jam session really. If it's a band's initial 'get together' it's obviously an idea to have already chosen some songs, practiced them at home and arrive prepaired, but if it's just a bunch of buddies getting together with a few beers and some guitars to see what happens, what the hell, just go with the flow bud.
^Mmm, yeah... fair enough.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
In my band, I just say a progression for the keys to start on, then the bass comes in, then rhythm, then me doing solo over it. At first its just everyone else doing the progression until we start experimenting and keeping the progression going. By the time we are done, everyone is doing their own thing, but it still ties into what everyone else is doing. It's pretty sick.