Hello my fellow bassists,

I've recently came across a very tempting offer - a Cort Curbow 5 in very good condition, for ~400usd (I know that it costs about that much brand new, but the guy is is likely to sell it off for ~350usd).

Has anyone played this bass and could comment on the build quality/tone of it? It has Bartolini pickups, from what I gathered, they are good(?). I'm looking for a very versatile instrument - from jazz/funk to death metal. I have not had the chance to play it first hand yet, but maybe you guys can fill me in on this. Will it be up to par to my yamaha or better?

I have no questions regarding specs - everything is a-ok, except my main concern is will it be hard to get a hardcase for it? I have a hardcase for my Yamaha RBX-375 and I hope this one will fit there too.

Cheers,
Jonas.
I doubt the case will be a problem. The Mk-1s are pretty good pickups- pretty transparent though so you may or may not think that is a good thing.
I'd love to try a curbow, but I've never been anywhere that's had one.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
The Cort Curbow was a surprisingly good bass, considering the price. It had a "luthite" polymer body and a resin fingerboard that looked like polished ebony and was said to be so strong that you could put the bass between two chairs, jump on the maple neck, and it wouldn't budge. I wouldn't try doing that, though.

The only drawback I remember from the two that I played was that it is not the easiest bass to play while sitting down. It has a very small body and it is very lightweight, so it is neck-heavy. Of course, you could play it standing up all night long without feeling fatigued.

See if you can't get a better price on it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I got mine used for 200. Otherwise, it is a pretty nice bass. In my opinion, you have to be careful with the EQ, it's kind of easy to get too muddy, but that might be just me. I can try to get some sound clips up for you, just to give you an idea of the sound, at least through my rig.
Quote by Halakar
I got mine used for 200. Otherwise, it is a pretty nice bass. In my opinion, you have to be careful with the EQ, it's kind of easy to get too muddy, but that might be just me. I can try to get some sound clips up for you, just to give you an idea of the sound, at least through my rig.

That'd be great dude, thanks If you could show me some of the different tones I can get, that'll help me a great deal. I'm looking for a bright, full sound that has a lot of attack mostly (Sorta like Steve Harris`s tone).

Oh and how is the paintjob/hardware doing? My Yamaha peels away from the slightest bump. And do you use a hardcase or a gigbag?