How should I start practicing sweep picking? Should I practice clean, to minimize mistakes, or with gain so that I learn to mute correctly? What should I start practicing?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I'd suggest practising without plugging at all actually. It's hard to explain but I feel it helps with articulation.
Practice clean imo,

I rememeber i was watching some john petruci vids and the way he showed to get into it was not try to do notes at first but get the basic sweeping pick motion first

I tried this then started getting some notes down and it seemed to have helped however I'm awful at sweeping and don't often try to do it
Also try practicing with your right hand only
And then try practicing with your left hand only (so you have your right hand free to make a human capo or jerk)
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Also try practicing with your right hand only
And then try practicing with your left hand only (so you have your right hand free to make a human capo or jerk)

i would start with just right hand. getting the motion down with your right hand. then slowly work on the left hand. then put it all together. start clean but also try it with gain
I've already done the thing with just the right hand, I just need to know what I should actually start playing to practice sweeping.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
try something like, 13th fret low e, then move to 12th on the b, then 13th on the G then start trying that with like, 12th - 14th - 12th or something
Actually, I might as well contribute something. When I tried to start sweeping, I thought to myself, "OK, start off slow and you'll facking ACE this". I was going to fast. I went along with a metronome at i think 60bpm or something, and i worked my way up. I think the most important thing for me was getting my right hand technique down (lol). I practiced when ever I found myself just doodling and not actually doing anything productive, but I mainly did it without gain first to get the right technique down, then I did it with gain after about half an hour of practicing.

I'm still crap at sweeping and can still only do 3 string sweeps and even then it's pretty damn sloppy . Good luck though mate, hopefully your a lot more patient then me
Learn the technique with a clean tone, or with the guitar unplugged.
One you got the basics and feel of sweeping down, start also practicing with distortion to practice muting.

And do it patiently and slowly, sloppy doesn't count!
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Practice with all 3. Play unplugged/muted, play distorted, then play clean. Once you're comfortable with the shape, try em distorted. After all the distortion there, hotshot, play them clean. That'll be a good opportunity to see the things you're missing and/or can work on.

Quote by Kurai X

And do it patiently and slowly, sloppy doesn't count!

And this.