I've been wanting to get into drumming lately, and I have my dad's 40 year old drum set. It has a 12 x 8 tom, a 20 x 16 kick, and a 14 x 6 snare. I'm mainly just wondering if I can salvage any of the shells. The bass seems to be pretty solidly intact, though the whole set looks as if it were never high quality to begin with. The snare is metal and the snares themselves seem bent up and are attached by strings. The Tom, like the bass, seems to be very much intact. The beater for the kick seems to be a piece of crap, and there was one cymbal, but it was tiny and dented up.

The kick has a tom-holder thing on it. (Sorry, I don't know the lingo.) And, it has a hole for a cymbal stand (basically a long pole) to be inserted into.

Can I really save any money by using any of this, or will it never really be as playable as even just a new starter set? Also, if it is usable, is using that cymbal stand holder in the bass drum advisable, or should I just buy a regular independent stand?

I can put pictures up later, if it would really help.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Pictures would help a huggy buggy bunch in helping
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
yes of course. change the skins, and replace any hardware which is knackered.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Finally, an appropriate time to say pics or GTFO

Pics or GTFO
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
yes... i suppose it's worth it.. i would need some pics to confirm it tho, but buying a new set for 200$ is out of question, because those sets suck big time... buy a used pedal.. for like 20$ you can get a pretty deacent one... you'd also need new drumheads and cymbals.. the snare can be fixed easily.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by sharpiemarker
I've been wanting to get into drumming lately, and I have my dad's 40 year old drum set. It has a 12 x 8 tom, a 20 x 16 kick, and a 14 x 6 snare. I'm mainly just wondering if I can salvage any of the shells. The bass seems to be pretty solidly intact, though the whole set looks as if it were never high quality to begin with. The snare is metal and the snares themselves seem bent up and are attached by strings. The Tom, like the bass, seems to be very much intact. The beater for the kick seems to be a piece of crap, and there was one cymbal, but it was tiny and dented up.

The kick has a tom-holder thing on it. (Sorry, I don't know the lingo.) And, it has a hole for a cymbal stand (basically a long pole) to be inserted into.

Can I really save any money by using any of this, or will it never really be as playable as even just a new starter set? Also, if it is usable, is using that cymbal stand holder in the bass drum advisable, or should I just buy a regular independent stand?

I can put pictures up later, if it would really help.

Heres the thing ts. First off, the snare is probably fine. All snares are attached to the drum by string, even the high end $4,000 ones orchestras use. And a metal snare isnt the end of your world.

But consider this. Your gonna need new heads, so figure $200-$300 minimum. Plus, your gonna have to replace the cymbal you have (probably crash/ride) and your going to buy hi hats. Thats going to be at least another couple hundred. And a new beater is going to cost you as well.

So what I would do is check out prices for a starter kit, and the parts you need. If a starter kit is about the same price, or just a little more expensive, then get the starter kit
Quote by tubatom868686
Heres the thing ts. First off, the snare is probably fine. All snares are attached to the drum by string, even the high end $4,000 ones orchestras use. And a metal snare isnt the end of your world.

But consider this. Your gonna need new heads, so figure $200-$300 minimum. Plus, your gonna have to replace the cymbal you have (probably crash/ride) and your going to buy hi hats. Thats going to be at least another couple hundred. And a new beater is going to cost you as well.

So what I would do is check out prices for a starter kit, and the parts you need. If a starter kit is about the same price, or just a little more expensive, then get the starter kit

I've seen snares attached by a sort or wide ribbon thing instead of string. Is that very rare? I guess I assumed it was more standard than the strings.

EDIT: Also, the bass drum doesn't have the drum key style screws, It has these large "T-shaped" screws that can be turned by hand.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited by sharpiemarker at May 30, 2010,
Quote by sharpiemarker
EDIT: Also, the bass drum doesn't have the drum key style screws, It has these large "T-shaped" screws that can be turned by hand.

that's fairly normal, as long as they can be turned either with a drum key or without it doesn't really matter.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Any idea what make it is?

Does it look similar to any of the kits in this article?

http://www.graham-collins.com/drummer/index.php/blog-mainmenu-9/56-vintage-del-rey-and-beverley-drums

The shells are red and sparkly. The brand is "Drum Mate."
Quote by Cameronrobson

Quote by sharpiemarker
The shells are red and sparkly. The brand is "Drum Mate."

Like the one in the bottom left hand corner?

Drum Mate are a precursor to 'Star' drums which developed into 'Tama' drums.
They may be worth something to a collector.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 30, 2010,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Like the one in the bottom left hand corner?

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/10/1.jpg

Drum Mate are a precursor to 'Star' drums which developed into 'Tama' drums.
They may be worth something to a collector.

Yeah it's pretty much exactly that except it has no floor tom.
Quote by Cameronrobson

Quote by sharpiemarker
Yeah it's pretty much exactly that except it has no floor tom.

It may be worth tracking one down (although it's possible that the model your dad bought didn't have one anyway because the red one in the picture doesn't seem to) and doing up the whole kit, but then, I'm biased because I'm into vintage instruments.
So long as you get it as near to original spec as possible, even if it costs you more than it's worth now to do, it should eventualy increase in value. In another 20 years or so it may even be quite valuable.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 30, 2010,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
It may be worth tracking one down (although it's possible that the model your dad bought didn't have one anyway because the red one in the picture doesn't seem to) and doing up the whole kit, but then, I'm biased because I'm into vintage instruments.
So long as you get it as near to original spec as possible, even if it costs you more than it's worth now to do, it should eventualy increase in value. In another 20 years or so it may even be quite valuable.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll consider that.
Quote by Cameronrobson

Quote by sharpiemarker
Thanks for your help. I guess I'll consider that.

Anytime bud.
If you do it up, I will suggest however that you don't do it up and use it as a regular working kit, it would be better to get a more modern kit to use regularly and keep the other in pristeen condition.