So I finally began to understand scales and how they're crafted today. YAY! But when looking at the rule for say major scale (whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half) and then look at the fret pattern for a major scale.. I have conflicts on the E and B Major Scale.

For example, if I start of on the 7th fret of the low E chord.. that should be the start of the B major scale.. From my understanding, B to C is a whole with no half step in between.. So I'd assume that I would ignore the fret pattern on a B Major Scale and instead of skipping a fret to the 9th like the pattern calls for.. Id just hit the 8th fret where the C is..

So my question is, if I want to do a correct E or B scale.. do I ignore the fret pattern and go with the whole step/half step rule? Or is there something that I'm missing here?
Im no guru, but im pretty sure that you would say from a B to a C on a fretboard would just be considered a half step, because it is literally a half. if you just follow the pattern you have learned, and use your ear to verify what you know....you'll get it
----------------------
good times

---------------------------

-- A.L.W.--

----------------------

when you just get tired of all the effects and riffs.

Yeah, B to C is a half step and can never be considered a whole step EVER!

EDIT: And yeah, there is no C in the B major scale. C# is the correct 2nd.