I changed the strings on my guitar yesterday and cleaned the fretboard with lemon oil. I go up my strings with a cloth daily to clean it a bit but did something stupid. I used the cloth that I put the lemon oil on to clean the strings so now my strings are really oily and slippery. I tried drying it with tissue but it doesn't seem to work. Will it go away over time or will I have to do something?

Secondly, today I've noticed that my floating bridge had lowered a lot. If I tune my guitar down half a step the bridge is touching the body and when I bend the string I can hear the bridge hit the body of the guitar. What should I do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The Internet: It's serious business
change your strings again? your bridge probably changed because you changed your string gauge.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
Last edited by AndrewDulina at May 30, 2010,
Quote by AndrewDulina
change your strings again? your bridge probably changed because you changed your string gauge.

No, I used the same string gauge.
I do that occasionally when the board just dries out so i clean the strings aswel

I like them being slippy and oily tbh, they feel so great when they're like that, the extra lubrication makes me a better player.

Please no one sig that last bit
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
1. Just get a new pair of strings.
2. Make sure you got the same gauge of strings
that was on before the switch.
Quote by Anthony1991
I do that occasionally when the board just dries out so i clean the strings aswel

I like them being slippy and oily tbh, they feel so great when they're like that, the extra lubrication makes me a better player.

Will it eventually go away though because I find it really uncomfortable.
Quote by welby
1. Just get a new pair of strings.
2. Make sure you got the same gauge of strings
that was on before the switch.

Would higher gauge strings make the bridge higher or lower? Because they definitely weren't any higher.
Quote by Anthony1991

hey thats nice statement for a sig...thanks for the idea..
As far as the oily strings are concerned, it isn't a problem. Yes, it will go away in time by itself. If you don't want to wait, go to a hardware store and buy a can of degreaser. Spray it on a clean cloth and wipe the strings down. Problem solved.

Floyds and Floyd-like bridges are just weird that way. Every time I have changed the strings on a Floyd-equipped guitar, the thing goes out of whack and it is a royal pain in the ass to get it back to where it used to be. I think it has something to do with the rather delicate balance of a floating tremolo. If you can't get it right, talk to a tech and see what he or she recommends. There is a good Floyd Rose setup thread on this forum:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

You haven't ruined your guitar. You'd be surprised how hard it is to truly ruin a guitar, short of smashing it onto the stage floor.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm curious how having oily strings that can be replaced for 6 to 10 dollars ruined your guitar. That would imply that the strings are worth more than the guitar? Did you cut a hole of out a Cap'n Crunch box and tape a gift wrap tube to it?

On a serious not, it will eventually go away but oil doesn't really evaporate, it will just absorb into your fingers. So replace the strings and be done with it.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by IIjakeH
Would higher gauge strings make the bridge higher or lower? Because they definitely weren't any higher.

Yeah, they would. You should probably read up on how your bridge works and how its affected by different things.
Quote by SpawnedX
I'm curious how having oily strings that can be replaced for 6 to 10 dollars ruined your guitar. That would imply that the strings are worth more than the guitar? Did you cut a hole of out a Cap'n Crunch box and tape a gift wrap tube to it?

On a serious not, it will eventually go away but oil doesn't really evaporate, it will just absorb into your fingers. So replace the strings and be done with it.

I was mainly talking about the bridge being flat against the body.
And it was actually an ice cream box.
Quote by Y00p
Yeah, they would. You should probably read up on how your bridge works and how its affected by different things.

I mean would a higher gauge lower the bridge, or would that make the bridge higher.
I fixed the bridge
I just stuck 2 picks under it, tuned it, removed picks, tuned it again, and now it's back to normal....probably...
Quote by IIjakeH
I mean would a higher gauge lower the bridge, or would that make the bridge higher.

higher gauge strings will pull the bridge forward some and lighter will make it tilt back some. are you sure that the bridge is set at the posts correctly? when changng strings on a floyd don't take them all off first this will cause issues. instead do them in pairs from the inside out. DG first then AB and the the high and low E. by keeping most of the strings on when changing them this will help keep the bridge where it belongs.
Quote by monwobobbo
higher gauge strings will pull the bridge forward some and lighter will make it tilt back some. are you sure that the bridge is set at the posts correctly? when changng strings on a floyd don't take them all off first this will cause issues. instead do them in pairs from the inside out. DG first then AB and the the high and low E. by keeping most of the strings on when changing them this will help keep the bridge where it belongs.

I'm not using a floyd rose. But what I was doing was putting playing cards under the bridge to keep it in the same position while changing the strings.... But they fell out
1. spray windex on a cloth and clean the strings without getting any on the board.

2. balance the bridge by flipping the guitar over and adjusting the springs and screws in the trem cavity.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Dont bother doing anything to the strings.

It will go away if you play it often enough, give me 2 nights after its like that and its back to normal

You could do it in one night if you played for like 6 hours and washed your hands every 30 mins
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Dont bother doing anything to the strings.

It will go away if you play it often enough, give me 2 nights after its like that and its back to normal

You could do it in one night if you played for like 6 hours and washed your hands every 30 mins

It's pretty much gone now actually
Quote by IIjakeH
Will it go away over time or will I have to do something?

Yes. The same happens when using FastFret.

Quote by IIjakeH
Secondly, today I've noticed that my floating bridge had lowered a lot.

Remove the rectangular plastic cover from the back of the guitar, use a screwdriver to adjust the spring claw (relatively small steps are better) and then tune up your guitar again. You'll have to keep on doing that for a while until your bridge is levelled out when it's in tune with the new kind of strings. Takes some time, but it's worth it.

Greetings
change the strings and re-adjust the bridge
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
The oily stuff will eventually go away. But you can still change the strings if you are not happy with the sound.

ron666