I have recently been given a Burns short scale jazz guitar made sometime between 62 and 65 i believe. Its similar in appearance to a strat and has 2 single coil burns pickups, pretty good condition for its age however its only really capable of a jazz or early rock n roll style tone. Anyway i was wondering does anyone know how much one of these is worth nowadays? Also would it be possible to modify it to create a better sound for metal and hard rock or would it be a waste of money?

If anyone can answer these questions i would be very grateful, thanks.
Do NOT modify a vintage 1960's Burns guitar! There are collectors who lust after them. I can't tell you how much it is worth - Burns guitars didn't often make it across the Atlantic, so they are uncommon in the U.S.A. Get a copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Guitar Values. It will have the most up-to-date information on the market value of your guitar.

Burns guitars were quality instruments and very popular with a lot of U.K. musicians back in the 60's. You may have quite a find on your hands.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
pics! pics! pics! now!
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by RetroGunslinger
would it be possible to modify it to create a better sound for metal and hard rock

with a vintage Burns?! that's so wrong it should be illegal
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Last edited by Redstar5wp at May 30, 2010,
^This. I think it's the Burns Bison Jazz Split Sound.

Look here - http://www.trevormidgley.com/BurnsGuitars/Timeline.html

If you mod that I will shoot you.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Why not give Burns Guitars in London a call or an e-mail and see what they can tell you?

http://www.burnsguitars.com/index.php

That thing is indeed a blast from the past. The condition looks great, too. You will burn in hell if you modify it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley