So I'm trying to get back into playing the guitar after something like 2 years of not playing at all. I've had my Ibanez RG350DX tucked away for that time with no strings on it at all, it's showing it's age a little (the neck isn't as clean as it could be, and some of the electrics have a tiny bit of dirt/rust on them). But it's not so bad that it's not playable or anything.

So anyway, on Friday I bought some strings and got ready to re-string it today. Today I restrung it and gave the strings too much slack when I was tuning up, so the bridge went too high and I had to tune down to D, BUT I couldn't because the tuner I bought on Friday is not chromatic. So then I went to look for the receipt to take it back and get a chromatic one tomorrow when the shop is open, and it looks like I threw that away.

Basically, I can't possibly get back into playing the guitar regularly because the minute I do everything that could wrong has indeed gone wrong.

I just wanted to vent.
But to make it more of a thread, has anyone else gone for months/years without playing their guitar/whatever instrument they play and had similar experiences?
Last edited by Matt_Malmsteen at May 30, 2010,
Dude... stop being a pussy and pick up your guitar again.
Just 'cause you stretched a set of strings a bit too much and your tuner isn't chromatic doesn't mean you can't play guitar. -.-
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Sorry to hear bro

I personally haven't had this kind of experience because I've only been playing for 2 and a half years anyway.

Also, just tune it by ear using an internet tuner, or learn to use your non chormatic one to do it

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
yeah basically what oblivion said. things dont have to be perfect man. and you could just tune it by ear going off the other strings. relax ay
Don't sweat it too much man, D standard is a sick tuning, and plenty of cool bands tune to it, Necrophagist,Dissection,Yngwie Malmsteen,Deicide

Dust the axe off, keep it in D and buy yourself a nice CD, i recommend In Sorte Diaboli by Dimmu Borgir,
I have a guitar that belonged to my dad and it's about 25years old. Sounds great. And you can tune it online and all. Just pick it up and play
I'm getting really annoyed with my guitar. I'm thinking about stopping playing electric and concentrating on my flamenco
Dude, never give up.

Playing guitar is like a never ending story....Right before it ends, you'll have to almost kill your best friend and ride a luckdragon...
Get back into the game man! The hardest things with getting back to guitar is in your head. You need to get psyched about guitar playing again or you will surely fail.

I have friend who tried to pick up guitar but failed. Now he doesn't dare trying agian because he is afraid he might fail again. In his own mind the guitar is the hardest instrument in the world, (which it really isn't - I bet fretless bass guitar is harder!).
Quote by ChucklesMginty
+1

Oh, and leaving the strings of your guitar for a long time is a REALLY bad idea. The neck will curve and it can become irreparable.

Before you have people running to their guitars and removing the strings, you need to stop this.

Fact of the matter is, the neck is designed to have that tension on it. That's what the truss rod is for. Furthermore, some people recommend changing one string at a time, instead of removing all at once. This is the equivelence of leaving the strings on for years. I have guitars that have been under tension for years and there's absolutely no evidence of unwanted neck curve. For that matter, my daughter has a $25 guitar that's about 4 years old. It's never had the strings changed once and is under tension and has NO bad curve in the neck. C'mon.... Give me a break.
Easy tuning fix: Tune your E string in unison with the third string, D string. Then just tune down from there using harmonics or 5th fret. Nothing earth shattering or life threatening with what you have going on with you guitar.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Before you have people running to their guitars and removing the strings, you need to stop this.

Fact of the matter is, the neck is designed to have that tension on it. That's what the truss rod is for. Furthermore, some people recommend changing one string at a time, instead of removing all at once. This is the equivelence of leaving the strings on for years. I have guitars that have been under tension for years and there's absolutely no evidence of unwanted neck curve. For that matter, my daughter has a $25 guitar that's about 4 years old. It's never had the strings changed once and is under tension and has NO bad curve in the neck. C'mon.... Give me a break.

i think Chuckles might have meant "off" not "of"...
Thanks guys, I guess I'm being a whiny bitch. Just really tired (I got married yesterday and finished all my exams two days prior) and I never USED to be so sucky at doing guitar stuff.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
Thanks guys, I guess I'm being a whiny bitch. Just really tired (I got married yesterday and finished all my exams two days prior) and I never USED to be so sucky at doing guitar stuff.

Why aren't you on your honeymoon? or whatever they call it?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I remember when I stopped playing guitar. I just lost interest. That went on for like a year and a half until I went camping with some friends. Someone brought a guitar and I noticed that everyone that could play was so much better than me. That somehow inspired me to play the guitar again to be as good as them. That was a year ago and although I'm not super good or anything now, I have exceeded my own expactations for what I wanted to accomplish in one year of guitar playing.

I never really had a hard time with motivation when I started again, but a month or so after I started again the low e string and the high e string broke. I didn't wanna bother changing them so I played on my brothers guitar. After a while he wouldn't let me play his guitar because he knew that that probably would lead to me never changing the strings on my own guitar. Being the lazy person that I am it took like a month or two for me to get around to change the strings.

So my own lazyness almost caused me to stop. Fortunately, my urge to play guitar won (oh, and also, when I re-strung my guitar, I ruined a string-pack in the process too).
You might need to take it to a shop and have the truss rod adjusted after having the strings off, you really aren't ever supposed to do that.
I quit playing for a while. Wish I hadn't. But it's all good now. Except I suck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
If your guitar had no strings on it for 2 years , your guitar is mostly like shit now
ALWAYS put strings on your guitar, it can even damage after 1 day of no strings...just saying
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
So I'm trying to get back into playing the guitar after something like 2 years of not playing at all. I've had my Ibanez RG350DX tucked away for that time with no strings on it at all, it's showing it's age a little (the neck isn't as clean as it could be, and some of the electrics have a tiny bit of dirt/rust on them). But it's not so bad that it's not playable or anything.

So anyway, on Friday I bought some strings and got ready to re-string it today. Today I restrung it and gave the strings too much slack when I was tuning up, so the bridge went too high and I had to tune down to D, BUT I couldn't because the tuner I bought on Friday is not chromatic. So then I went to look for the receipt to take it back and get a chromatic one tomorrow when the shop is open, and it looks like I threw that away.

Basically, I can't possibly get back into playing the guitar regularly because the minute I do everything that could wrong has indeed gone wrong.

I just wanted to vent.
But to make it more of a thread, has anyone else gone for months/years without playing their guitar/whatever instrument they play and had similar experiences?

sorry to hear about all the hassle man, what kinda tuner is it? cos the korg one i have isnt chromatic, but has a flat button on it (it has a 'b' (flat) sign next to it) hit that twice for B tuning! do you not have something similar?
Didnt play guitar for a year, but I had all strings on it the whole time so just a clean and a restring was all I needed. Bought an amp as well because id sold my old one. True story <_<
Quote by ShredHead396
Don't sweat it too much man, D standard is a sick tuning, and plenty of cool bands tune to it, Necrophagist,Dissection,Yngwie Malmsteen,Deicide

Dust the axe off, keep it in D and buy yourself a nice CD, i recommend In Sorte Diaboli by Dimmu Borgir,

To all of this post, although I recommend Symbolic-Death to go along with the Dimmu cd, both are amazing.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I bookmarked it and didn't come back to it.

I tightened the springs at the back and tuned the guitar 1/2 step down. The bridge is still standing up too much but I don't want to tighten the springs up anymore incase it makes the trem unusable without me having to piss around even more.

As for the truss rod, anyone know how much that costs to get fixed/looked at? Or can give me a rough estimate? I'm a bit broke at the moment so...

I've had to wreck 2 packs of strings to get to where I am now, and am less than happy but c'est la vie.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I bookmarked it and didn't come back to it.

I tightened the springs at the back and tuned the guitar 1/2 step down. The bridge is still standing up too much but I don't want to tighten the springs up anymore incase it makes the trem unusable without me having to piss around even more.

As for the truss rod, anyone know how much that costs to get fixed/looked at? Or can give me a rough estimate? I'm a bit broke at the moment so...

I've had to wreck 2 packs of strings to get to where I am now, and am less than happy but c'est la vie.

Its not that hard to adjust the truss rod, you just need an allen wrench. Just adjust it little by little.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
To all of this post, although I recommend Symbolic-Death to go along with the Dimmu cd, both are amazing.

..A friendly comment?
!
All I know, TS, is... I have an RG350DX too.

I tend to play my acoustic in favour of it though, so it hasn't been used in a long time.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter: