Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about solid state power amps?
Do they sound good, in comparison to valve power amps?
Do they make any where near as much difference to the sound as the preamp?
If they preamp is valve, but the power amp is solid state, will it still sound good?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to 'crank' solid state power amps for them to sound good, no?

Also, I know that if you had a solid state amp and a valve amp of equal wattage, the valve will be alot louder. But will a 200 watt solid state amp still be stupidly loud?

Thanks for any help.

Fuzz. X
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
If you are looking for a good amp then just get a tube amp, you do not have to crank a tube amp to get a good sound.
It's not as simple as that, I won't have a lot of money once if I buy a preamp and a speaker cab. Solid state power amps are a fraction of the price.

Just wondered if anyone had any actual information about them.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by sstony
If you are looking for a good amp then just get a tube amp, you do not have to crank a tube amp to get a good sound.

well that doesn't really answer the question.

a solid state power amp should be more transparent than a valve power amp, and sound a lot cleaner. Just so long as you get a good quality one (and that won't be cheap) it should sound great, regardless of whether the preamp is valve or solid state.

and you don't need to crank a valve amp to get a "good" sound but you do need to run them at full power (or at least until they reach the peak of their clean headroom) to get the best out of them. but the benefit of solid state is that you'll get a more consistent sound at any volume.

and yes a 200w solid state would be able to go stupidly loud, but you could always turn the volume down if its too loud, and then you wouldn't be running the risk of getting hard clipping from it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Yeah they had a short lived period of partial fame in the early 80's.
They don't colour the sound at all so the tone will come basically from the pre-amp only.
It may still sound OK but you're talking about a rack type set up here whihc is not friendly for your average guy to lug around.
You're correct in that you don't have to crank them but it's because they don't produce the types of distortion a tube amp cranked does. Why are you set on a separate pre-amp? The packaging required for it means you'll pay more for a separate one than one already built into a decent tube amp.
Moving on.....
Cheers Blompcube, that was the answer I was looking for in regard to a solid state power amp sounding more consistent at any volume

So will a valve preamp will only sound at it's best if I also have a valve power amp? I can't afford a valve power amp. I'm not set on a seperate preamp, it's just that I found a really good deal on a Mesa preamp, I believe that it would do both brilliant clean sounds and very nice heavy sounds too, which is what I'm after, sadly you don't get that from many amps, which is a shame.

If the preamp is only going to sound good with a valve power amp or a really expensive solid state one, it's probably not worth it.

After buying the pre and a speaker cab, I only have about £300 to buy a power amp.

I found this one : http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74963

I'm told that Crown is a good brand for things like this, anyone know anything about that?

Cheers for the replys guys
im not sure if a mic power amp will work for guitar. maybe it will. i dont know
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!