Page 1 of 3
I thought about this earlier, and we have some big electronic music fans here, so I figured some of you might know. From what I know, electronic is largely based on samples and artificial sounds, so how can they reproduce this live without it sounding exactly the same? I don't really listen to that stuff much I'm just curious really.
They have laptops with them (maybe not all of them) as part of their equipment, if that helps.
It pretty much does sound exactly the same, so DJ's have to add in new sounds and change the song up a little bit.

Electronic music is one huge ripoff though, and while I enjoy it, it's not exactly masterful or challenging.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Well alot of electronic music isn't performance based, so most of the time if you hear dance music being played out it's in a DJ set. This involves beatmatching and other skills in order to mix records (normally by a mixture of different artists, often within the same genre or bpm range) and create a fluid, interesting mix that either keeps people dancing. The basics of DJing can be very easy, but most beginner sets will be ****ing boring. When you listen to really great DJs they take you on a journey through the mix, where everything blends and works well together. Alot of producers also DJ on the side.

Slightly different is a live PA system, where artists manipulate loops and samples on various hardware (and thanks to advancements, software on computers too), this is more "performance" based and in the right hands can be really great to hear. Unfortunately a lot of live PAs aren't as interesting as a good well made mix with just two turntables a mixer and a stack of nice 12" records.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
... They play their samples and artificial sounds?

I don't get what you find difficult about this?

What I meant is, yeah, they play their sounds and samples which sound exactly the same as the song, so what is it that really makes it live? I guess the extra DJ thing makes sense though.

EDIT: Thanks DanRev. So it's largely improvisational is what you're saying?
Last edited by GRiMM94 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Firenze
It pretty much does sound exactly the same, so DJ's have to add in new sounds and change the song up a little bit.

Electronic music is one huge ripoff though, and while I enjoy it, it's not exactly masterful or challenging.

Although I do kind of agree with this myself, somebody will see this as full on trolling.

On topic, from what I've seen they normally just have DJ's/laptops to play the sounds/samples, although sometimes they have bands with them.
Quote by Firenze

electronic music > you
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by Firenze

They press play on their CD player? I mean Ipod and act like they're playing?

Seriously, I don't know
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off

YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
The play the samples and stuff by pressing certain buttons and stuff to make it sound simple. I was actually talking to my cousin Dan Deacon about it a few weeks ago, he's an electronic musician.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
MIDI instrument, keyboards, laptops, it's not all sampled sounds. And if it is, they usually wrote the loops and stuff and recorded them with other instruments. Thievery Corporation and many others play several instruments.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

They walk onstage and click play.
Gear:
Some sort of guitar, of some sort.
Another one
Big amp
Small amp
A pedal
A pedal again
Some kind of box that goes into the computer.. Haven't figured out its function yet.

Sorry guys. It's not that I don't see it as a legitimate form of art or expression, it just doesn't exactly take a musical mastermind to make electronic music that people can listen to, or really like. I also think that it got so popular so quickly that it's just way too easy to make sub-par music and bank on the success of it. (Admittedly, I do think Armin van Buuren, along with some other acts, are exceptions)

It's sort of like the '80s, but instead of Glam it's Electronic music.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze

Sorry guys. It's not that I don't see it as a legitimate form of art or expression, it just doesn't exactly take a musical mastermind to make electronic music that people can listen to, or really like. I also think that it got so popular so quickly that it's just way too easy to make sub-par music and bank on the success of it. (Admittedly, I do think Armin van Buuren, along with some other acts, are exceptions)

I know this has been posted too many times, but this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI takes more of a musical mastermind to create than making generic rock or metal.

Although I dont see this as a case for arguing, as skill required to create music as no effect on how enjoyable it is to listen to
Quote by Firenze

The thing is, that statement can be applied to any type of music, electronic or acoustic. If you want to make head-fuckingly complicated music that's so complex it takes a mathematician to figure out, it can be with electronics as well as it can be done any other way. Boring pop music can be made with guitars too. If you base an entire method of making music on what you hear in the charts and on the radio, then of course it's not going to be particularly challenging. It's pop music. There is some very good electronic music out there.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
Last edited by sg255 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by duggyrocks
I know this has been posted too many times, but this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI takes more of a musical mastermind to create than making generic rock or metal.

Although I dont see this as a case for arguing, as skill required to create music as no effect on how enjoyable it is to listen to

Heh, The Prodigy were one of my exceptions, actually. Nothing "generic" or superficial is ever really good to listen to.

Electronic music doesn't require skill, though. There's no technical aspect to (let's say at the most customizable level of electronic music, which is wave editing) working with computers. You can't really "feel" the sound like you do when you're actually creating that vibration with a musical instrument.

edit: I'm just saying that simply hearing the music in your head and translating it via computers is not enough. It's just not deep enough. Doesn't have to be complex at all.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Firenze

No. Just... no. Just because you might not be talented at an instrument doesn't mean that you can't express yourself through sound. It's just as easy to play the same chord progression over and over again and have everyone like it as it is to turn out a BAD electronic song. Music is music no matter what it sounds like.
/rant
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Who gives a shit if it's not hard to do (which is wrong, I'd like to see any of you trying to match Theo Parrish or Youngsta or someone in a club infront of hundreds of punters who arent there because of who you are or what you've done in the past and just want to see you, but just want to hear good music mixed well.), music isnt about how difficult it is to play, it's about how it sounds.
Quote by Firenze
You can't really "feel" the sound like you do when you're actually creating that vibration with a musical instrument.

Point being? I fail to see the need of feeling the sound

EDIT: Just seen your edit . I find its often the case that playign music on guitars isnt enough, you're much much more limited with your sound and conveying certain ideas with a standard band setup than you are with electronic music
Last edited by duggyrocks at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Firenze
Heh, The Prodigy were one of my exceptions, actually. Nothing "generic" or superficial is ever really good to listen to.

Electronic music doesn't require skill, though. There's no technical aspect to (let's say at the most customizable level of electronic music, which is wave editing) working with computers. You can't really "feel" the sound like you do when you're actually creating that vibration with a musical instrument.

edit: I'm just saying that simply hearing the music in your head and translating it via computers is not enough. It's just not deep enough. Doesn't have to be complex at all.

There's no technical aspect to writing musical notation down on a sheet of paper, does that mean that Beethoven or Bach had no skill?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
liam howlett of the prodigy has a full rack of synths and runs two macs, sometimes they also throw in a live guitarist and live drummer. Ethan Kath of crystal castles has a kind of somewhat minimalist setup i think a korg ms2000 is his main synth but he says that in the past he would just play songs straight of his mac when they had nothing else to play live. whats becoming a popular way to the live electronic music is ableton live which people like deadmau5, justice, and i believe daft punk use, which i believe lets you play with loops, you can use this big pads which allow you to arrange the music but you have to buy them seperately. some people start getting picky though because some live electronic bands just start using more laptops and people feel like its not exactly live anymore, usually people say this about bands who later in their career.
Quote by Firenze

I think "electronic music" is a rather large label, which makes your comment sound all the more stereotypical.

Tbh you can say it doesn't take much to make music from most any genre people can listen to. Punk, metal, rock, folk, rap... in almost all genres there are people that make simple music and people love it, but that's a skill in itself. Something doesn't need to be stupidly complex to be respected.

I mean look at say... Smells Like Teen Spirit. A ridiculously simple song, yet it defined a generation. Then look at some of the technical metal bands you get and how limited their audience is despite their complexity.
There's a lot of ways. You can sync up all your hardware and then tweak the sound in real time, you can use stuff like the Trigger Finger to do live effects punch-ins and manipulations, you can DJ... It's pretty coolio.
Quote by Firenze

I can sense a can of whoop ass coming your way pretty soon.

For some reason I feel you're going to mention Dave Gilmour and the words "emotion" and "soul" in your upcoming posts.

Personally, I feel that electronic music is just as valid as guitar/piano etc. based music.
I personally enjoy it when they are used together, listen to Akira Yamaoka, who writes the Silent Hill soundtracks, to see that electronic music and rock music are both as "musical" as each other.
Quote by Firenze

it doesn't take a musical mastermind to write a song in any style of music.

also, it's popular because of things like this:

Pure, undiluted awesomeness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv1s-fpvJ6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY4fa9fGPCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKXwSoyzNCs

watch,

Pretty much they dj 'em, or other people dj 'em, I have a dj console, and a strobe light, that's it

Also as an electronic artist anyone who says it's easy doesn't know anything about it, the scene is full of uber judgemental audiophiles who strive for PERFECT production/mixing.
Last edited by stratkat at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Firenze

But....but.....Glam was good....
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by duggyrocks
Point being? I fail to see the need of feeling the sound

EDIT: Just seen your edit . I find its often the case that playign music on guitars isnt enough, you're much much more limited with your sound and conveying certain ideas with a standard band setup than you are with electronic music

No way man, feeling the sound is half of what music is about. (see my retort to the post below)

Well, with the advent of 7, 8 and 12 string guitars, 5 - 8 string basses, fretless basses, baritone instruments, different tunings, different forms of percussion, etc... you're not limited at all. I'm not saying don't make electronic music. I'm saying incorporate the human element more so into it.

Quote by sg255
There's no technical aspect to writing musical notation down on a sheet of paper, does that mean that Beethoven or Bach had no skill?

We're not talking about composition, we're talking about the music itself. Imagine Bach or Beethoven being played by robots who get their timing 100% correct and never foul up in any way whatsoever.

I don't know about you, but that just sounds tedious to listen to.

Quote by MadClownDisease
I think "electronic music" is a rather large label, which makes your comment sound all the more stereotypical.

Tbh you can say it doesn't take much to make music from most any genre people can listen to. Punk, metal, rock, folk, rap... in almost all genres there are people that make simple music and people love it, but that's a skill in itself. Something doesn't need to be stupidly complex to be respected.

I mean look at say... Smells Like Teen Spirit. A ridiculously simple song, yet it defined a generation. Then look at some of the technical metal bands you get and how limited their audience is despite their complexity.

I covered that in the posts I made afterward. I didn't exactly mean complexity.

Quote by SilentHeaven109
I can sense a can of whoop ass coming your way pretty soon.

For some reason I feel you're going to mention Dave Gilmour and the words "emotion" and "soul" in your upcoming posts.

Personally, I feel that electronic music is just as valid as guitar/piano etc. based music.
I personally enjoy it when they are used together, listen to Akira Yamaoka, who writes the Silent Hill soundtracks, to see that electronic music and rock music are both as "musical" as each other.

Haha, sorry man but no electronic act even comes close to doing what Pink Floyd did.

Quote by TunerAddict
But....but.....Glam was good....

Glam was good. Sometimes.

Podolski for the win.

Quote by CoreysMonster
it doesn't take a musical mastermind to write a song in any style of music.

also, it's popular because of things like this:

Pure, undiluted awesomeness

Not any song, but it does take a musical mastermind to write a good song in any style of music. And Daft Punk are awesome.

I think this is kind of a useless argument, cause it's way too subjective.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Firenze
No way man, feeling the sound is half of what music is about. (see my retort to the post below)

Well, with the advent of 7, 8 and 12 string guitars, 5 - 8 string basses, fretless basses, baritone instruments, different tunings, different forms of percussion, etc... you're not limited at all. I'm not saying don't make electronic music. I'm saying incorporate the human element more so into it.

We're not talking about composition, we're talking about the music itself. Imagine Bach or Beethoven being played by robots who get their timing 100% correct and never foul up in any way whatsoever.

I don't know about you, but that just sounds tedious to listen to.

I covered that in the posts I made afterward. I didn't exactly mean complexity.

This is what people say when they've never listened to electronic music.

This is the most emotional, moving song I've ever heard, and there isn't a single "real" instrument in it. There goes that argument.
Last edited by xaviergray at May 30, 2010,
Quote by Firenze

This is all subjective I think, I would get more enjoyment listening to the robots playing Bach perfectly with near perfect sounds than hear a sloppy blues guitarist play it (this isn't meant as a massive generalisation, just an example ).

I personally find the musical arrangement the hard part of music, with the playing it the easiest part. For example, I find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnsndryvNo&feature=related can evoke plenty of emotion without someone standing over it making stupid facial expressions
Last edited by duggyrocks at May 30, 2010,
Page 1 of 3