fender super six reverb (the model with 6 10" speakers and tremelo and reverb)

I was curious on a few things. I really don't know much about tuning in an amp, but I've been messing around with it and I've realized some things. I'll start off with asking you to bear with me on the newb questions. I have read into tube amps so I know the basics. My biggest concern is that through the channel (input 1 or 2) with my tremelo and reverb effects, it sounds muddy or it has distorted bass. When I turn the volume up on the channel rather then the master volume I get terrible muddy bass and mid sounds. Mind you I'm playing Clean. The 6th, 5th, and maybe the 4th strings are the strings that cause it to sound distorted. The treble strings sound fine. The setting that I'm currently using is:

treble - 9
mid - 7
bass - 8.5

These settings are fine. They sound good, no problems.
volume - 2
Master volume - 3.5

These settings are what distorts it out.
volume - 9
Master volume - 3.5

Any ideas? Any further discussion about this will only benefit me so feel free to inform me on any other concerns about this amp that I should know about. Thanks!
when you turn the volume up, doesn't mind the master, it gets distorted. In fact its the origin of overdrive
Either preamp gain on that amp sounds muddy or there's something wrong with the speakers.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I had a fender amp once. The volume usually increases the amount of distortion regardless wether or not you're on clean channel or not. I hope this helps.
I didn't realize there was an overdrive on the amp. So if I am correct then, the only way to stay clean and use my reverb and tremelo is to increase the master? However this doesn't change the fact that it sounds freakin terrible in the higher levels. Overdrive shouldn't sound like a farty bass should it? lol
Last edited by tricksofevil at May 30, 2010,
Quote by tricksofevil
I didn't realize there was an overdrive on the amp. So if I am correct then, the only way to stay clean and use my reverb and tremelo is to increase the master? However this doesn't change the fact that it sounds freakin terrible in the higher levels. Overdrive shouldn't sound like a farty bass should it? lol

it shouldnt... and no, its not an "overdrive." now to make this clearer, lets imagine the amp had no master volume, and it was a single channel amp with reverb and tremolo. if you turn the volume up, it allows more voltage to flow through the tubes. if the volume is down low, there isnt a high amount of signal passing through the tubes, therefore they will not clip (distort). if you push more signal than the valves can handle the tubes will start to clip.

so the same channel of the amp with the same settings could be either clean or distorted, with respect to a level of volume.

however, this is a 2 channel master volume amp. now it is not 2 channels like a modern amp where one channel is overdrive and the other clean, but one channel is "normal" and the other channel has an added reverb and vibrato circuit.

there are a number of things that contribute to the "flubby" bass you hear. lets start with the volume control. master volume circuits regulate the voltage flowing into the poweramp (phase inverter and poweramp tubes) and general decreases your tonal purity which can cause a flubby or weak tone as opposed to no master volume. second, fender amps such as that general dont sound good when they are pushed and distorted. now i'm not saying they sound bad, but it is a hard tone to tame and use well but it can be pulled off, and has been by several classic bands. third, i would contribute to the speakers. 10 inch speakers dont handle bass and midrange like the 12 inch speakers most people are used to, and will flub out easily. and finally, all of this is worsened by your EQing. set your treble middle and bass to 12, and if there is too much of one then cut it, dont boost the rest. as for the volume, if you want a clean sound, turn the master volume up all the way, and then adjust channel volume to desired taste.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
I got the amp for 200 bucks from some guy who had a stroke in the 70's and never used it much. He said that every once in a while he would get it repaired because the tubes would rattle out from playing too loud or too long. What you said makes sense to me. My EQ is set like that because that's what was recommended. When you said to set my treble, middle, and bass to 12, did you mean all the way up and then cut back? or did you mean keep it low and don't roll them high unless I wished to?
Quote by tricksofevil

I've heard the "overdrive" channel in the Fender Hotrods isn't the best; could be the same situation here? Please do check videos or clips online about how it would usually sound. You should check the speakers too; and to counter the higher volumes and added break up "distortion" from the master knob, lower the pregain volume as much as possible to keep a cleaner sound overall.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.