Hi guys.
-So basically I'm looking for a fuzz. Was set on just finding a used NYC big muff, I want it for froosh like leads, that long sustaining classic big muff sound. Any more suggestions for similar sounding fuzz's I should look for at about the same price (up to £70/80)?
-Secondly, does anyone have any experience of whether the tone wicker is significantly more versatile/better than the stock NYC muff?
-I also mess with bass and wouldn't mind being able to run a bass through this. Any ideas how it would sound through a normal big muff? (I gather the Russian's have more low end). And what's the bass big muff based on/is it the same circuit as the guitar muff with a bass boost switch?
Any input is appreciated
In my opinion the russian big muffs are much better than nyc but i suggest you try them out if you can there are better fuzz out there depending on how much you want to spend

also the russians work well for bass
I have a Big Muff NYC and was extremely disappointed with it. I honestly just want to get rid of it. Maybe you want it?!?! lol

But check out the Russian, or maybe some Devi Evers
i liek the big muff with tone wicker
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I got the NYC Big Muff, and I love it, also I have the original one but I recommend getting the little big muff because its alot more practical
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

The Big Muff with Tone Wicker is great. Get it over a normal NYC Big Muff. With the Tonewicker you can bypass the tonecircuit in the Big Muff and get somewhat rid of the midscoop Muffs are famous/notorious for. The Tonewickers are more versatile than NYC Big Muffs, but can you can get the same sounds out of it.

I think any of the Big Muffs sound good with bass, and I think the bass Muff is based on a green Russian.
I like the usa big muff but i use it with a slightly driven clean channel, i MUCH prefer the sound i get there to on a pure clean setting, it reacts very differently with different guitars too and eq settings so if you get one make sure you play around with the amp too.
Thanks for all your input guys. I've got a dano OD and a MXR GT-OD coming, and I pretty much always use semi-clean tones, so I was thinking of using it on top of an amp like that, or stacking it with an OD. I'm more interested by the tonewicker now. I didn't think the midscoop would be so much of an issue with my bright amp, but I've no real experience with a scooped sound, either way it looks like a good shout. I've looked a lot at stomp under foot and made by mike fuzz's, I know a bit about what they offer, but tbh the sound in my head is the classic big muff, 'violin like' sustain, which I think an NYC/Tonewicker muff would offer best.
Hmm, I'm after massive liquid sustain basically. I'll have a look at some for sure, might be worth stretching my cash further. I don't know if I'd use it enough to make it worthwhile though
http://www.stompunderfoot.com/MUFFS.html

Give them a listen. They will meet the bill for massive sustain.

I've owned quite a few pedals, and his civil war muff is one of my favorite. Check out the Floyd clip. They are also hand wired.

Give Matt a call and tell him what you're after, he's a great guy to deal with.
Iv got both a Russian and NYC one.
The Russian one is ok, but I like the NYC one better. The NYC seems to have more sounds to dial in. I cant get as many with the Russian for some reason. Either way I sprang for the NYC one yesterday and I couldn't be happier.
Iv got a demo of my playing on the Russian, and im about to make one for my new one.
Watch in HD, its slightly better quality, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40aQtKE_lA
yeah I know I suck at guitar, but im working on it

Quote by jecox13
I got the NYC Big Muff, and I love it, also I have the original one but I recommend getting the little big muff because its alot more practical

I played the little one and it didn't sound as good as the Original. I dont know what it was, but I didn't like it.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at May 30, 2010,