Poll: Which of these guitars?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which of these guitars?
Ibanez RGA42FM
17 40%
PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24
25 60%
Voters: 42.
Sorry for making another thread but I had too many guitars listed on the other one, so I narrowed it down to two which I can't decide on. Are there any big differences between the two, or does it come down more to personal preference? I play alternative/rock/metal/mainstream-type songs with the Roland Micro Cube Amp (I've only been playing for about 6 months)

Ibanez RGA42FM
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235

PRS SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-25th-Anniversary-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=423596
Last edited by Jarik at May 30, 2010,
oops sorry accidentally voted for the ibanez...In this case my guess is that the PRS is better..

add one vote to the PRS and reduce one from the ibz
Imho, that PRS is definitely better than the Ibanez.
It sounds better, feels better (the wide thin neck on the Custom is awesome), the build quality is better...

If you can't decide between the two, go for the PRS. You won't be disappointed.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
The PRS is better, but the Ibanez is F***ing sexy.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Both guitars have the same wood type (body, body top, neck, fretboard) and both have double cutaways.

The Ibanez has metal oriented active pickups with a mid scoop but it retains decent cleans, not sure about the PRS.

The Ibanez has a fixed Gibraltar string-thru bridge and therefor provides good sustain and tuning stability, as for the PRS it has a nice PRS tremolo which is simple not as badass as a Floyd-Rose but alright for vibratos and dives other than that it might not stay in tune.

I've always admired Wizard necks (they're thin and pretty comfy), not sure about the PRS wide-thin neck but it's probably decent.

Another thing, the Ibanez has a longer scale, and IMO it looks better and might probably work better for hard rock and metal on the other hand the PRS looks versatile but it's also more expensive.

Edit: Have you tried any of those guitars?
Last edited by Tyraziell at May 30, 2010,
i had to go for the ibanez but to be honest if you have only been playing 6 months either one of these guitars should last you quite a while.

for rock/metal i think the wizard neck on the ibanez will be your best option and im not sure on the quality of the PRS SE trems/tuners so you may find the prs going out of tune rapidly every time you use the trem

best bet would be to go into a shop and try them out as i think they will play differently and you will get a feel of which one just feels right... also if you go into a decent shop you have a lot more choice and might find that guitar that you didnt know existed but you fall in love with.
I haven't tried the PRS but my 42FM is sexy and sound great. It's got great sustain, good cleans, and the neck pickup can pump out some nice high gain thrashy metal sounds. It's my favorite guitar and it's got me wanting to sell my MIA strat as I no longer feel I need it.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by handbanana
no offense but they're both super ugly
get an rg350

why did you even post this? an RG350? really?

TS - the trem on the prs is quite good regardless of what's posted here. it's arguably the best non-locking trem you can get on any guitar under about $800 new. Both being good guitars I would have to say try them.

I'm a fan of both brands but would probably get the prs se given the choice of only one.
Quote by gregs1020
why did you even post this? an RG350? really?

TS - the trem on the prs is quite good regardless of what's posted here. it's arguably the best non-locking trem you can get on any guitar under about $800 new. Both being good guitars I would have to say try them.

I'm a fan of both brands but would probably get the prs se given the choice of only one.

Completely agreed.

handbanana:

Tyraziell & gtanny: if you don't know the PRS trem, why are you writing bad things about it?
It IS one of the best non-locking trems out there. Period.

Tyraziell: you clearly know nothing about the PRS. So shut up.

The Ibanez is (arguably) better for metal. And that's it.
The PRS is definitely more versatile. Handles metal pretty well (lots of metal bands use PRS. See: Opeth, BTBAM...). Perfect for hard rock. The cleans are incredible.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Definately the PRS. The build quality is far better and the pickups are very usable (more so for metal than the junk in that Ibby) as well, which is not the case for the Ibby. As for having the same body woods, they do not. They are both mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood board, but the Ibby has a maple veneer which adds nothing to the tone. The SE has a veneer as well, but it sits on top of a real maple cap that is pretty thick and does add quite a bit to the tone. I have the SE and it is a fantastic guitar.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at May 30, 2010,
The poll itself is actually dead even, but the feedback is more towards the PRS, so I'm leaning to that right now.
Both are decent guitars, I can see that the Ibanez IMO is better for the price. I wouldn't take my chances with a non-locking tremolo.

I suggest that you try them both out. they both play/feel very differently.
Last edited by Tyraziell at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Tyraziell
Both are decent guitars, I can see that the Ibanez IMO is better for the price. I wouldn't take my chances with a non-locking tremolo.

No, it's not.
You get more than what you pay for with the PRS (despite being more expensive), which doesn't happen with the Ibanez.

Quote by Tyraziell
I wouldn't take my chances with a non-locking tremolo.

And your advice should be taken seriously, because you clearly know so much about non-locking tremolos, you're practically a pro...

Stop spewing your preconceptions around.
The PRS is a more expensive, better quality guitar than the Ibanez. And for the price, is one of the best guitars around.
With the Ibanez, you get what you pay for. A low-to-medium range guitar, with mediocre pickups.

TS, if you can afford the PRS, go for it. It's worth it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 31, 2010,
This is not a fair comparison....you're comparing a 400$ ibanez to a prs?

I admit that i've been telling everyone to buy a S series(because they are absolutely fantastic)...and I am going to do the same to you too..it costs about same as the prs,Looks 1000X better and It has one of the best locking trems and a superfast wizard II neck

ask anyone,they are really great guitars

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S570DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584142

now here's a fair comparison....S570DXQM vs PRS SE 24

ok here is what I think...

the trem in the PRS might be one of the best non locking trems but bottom line,it will not be as good as a Double locking one with heavy whammy abuse..'nough said

The ibanez has a recessed trem...the PRS doesnt..so you can do only divebombs and has minimal range..

the Trem in the S5470 has ball bearings instead of knife edges,although it will require more cleaning,it will last a lifetime,as ball bearings hardly wear out

The ibanez also has locking tuners,even though it isnt necessary

And the PRS doesnt even have locking tuners...in a non-locking trem?I doubt that it will have good tuning stability

I can't comment on PRS SE quality,as I've never owned one,but Ibanez indo quality at the moment is very good(great fret finishing)

The S also has a quilted maple top and mahogany body

the ibanez has one more Pickup,so it will be little bit more versatile

and you know the best thing?It costs less than the PRS..yep...with all those things...
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
The PRS is a more expensive, better quality guitar than the Ibanez. And for the price, is one of the best guitars around.
With the Ibanez, you get what you pay for. A low-to-medium range guitar, with mediocre pickups.

TS, if you can afford the PRS, go for it. It's worth it.

How can you say that the PRS is a better quality guitar?without any valid arguments?I dont believe you at all until you show us(with proof)that the PRS has better quality...

and you get what you pay for thing doesnt happen with ibanez(at least prestiges)..you can buy a 15xx prestige and still have a same quality instrument as a 45xx....all the guitars in the prestige range have equal quality....

the rg42 might be mid range,but the S is not...It is definitely better than the PRS 24

this is one of the most unfair comparisons ever made.....
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 31, 2010,
archenemyfan absolutely nailed it, for the kind of music you want to play an S series Ibanez seems to be the best bet.

ZR tremolos are absolutely among the best double-locking trems it stays in perfect tune no matter how crazy you go with it, plus the middle pickup (single coil) adds outstanding versatility, S series guitars are also pretty thin and they provide excellent playability (Wizard necks and Jumbo frets).

the only average thing about them is the pickups and they can be replaced anytime, I highly doubt the PRS stock pickups are any better. in fact I don't see anything that justifies its cost ... seriously.
Quote by archenemyfan
How can you say the PRS is a better quality guitar?without any valid arguments?I dont believe you at all until you show us(with proof)that the PRS has better quality...

Are you kidding me? You said so yourself:

Quote by archenemyfan
This is not a fair comparison....you're comparing a 400$ ibanez to a prs?

Quote by archenemyfan
this is one of the most unfair comparisons ever made.....

Between the Ibanez RGA42FM and the PRS SE Custom 24, the PRS IS better. Period.
And it has already been said why:

Quote by yellowv
The build quality is far better and the pickups are very usable (more so for metal than the junk in that Ibby) as well, which is not the case for the Ibby. As for having the same body woods, they do not. They are both mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood board, but the Ibby has a maple veneer which adds nothing to the tone. The SE has a veneer as well, but it sits on top of a real maple cap that is pretty thick and does add quite a bit to the tone.

=====
=====

Quote by archenemyfan
now here's a fair comparison....S570DXQM vs PRS SE 24

Agreed.

Quote by archenemyfan
And the PRS doesnt even have locking tuners...in a non-locking trem?I doubt that it will have good tuning stability

I can't comment on PRS SE quality,as I've never owned one

If you have no experience with one, don't talk about it.
It has good tuning stability, as long as you know how to restring it properly (check Frudua's videos on YouTube).

Quote by archenemyfan
and you know the best thing?It costs less than the PRS..yep...with all those things...

Lots of features don't make a guitar better.

But i agree that the Ibanez S570DXQM is a nice suggestion....
Between the S570DXQM and the PRS SE Custom 24, it's a matter of preference (although for me, even versus the S570DXQM the PRS has a slightly better build and finish quality).
They are both good guitars, but very different and aimed towards different purposes.
TS should play both so he can make a well informed decision.

Quote by Tyraziell
the only average thing about them is the pickups and they can be replaced anytime, I highly doubt the PRS stock pickups are any better. in fact I don't see anything that justifies its cost ... seriously.

That statement alone is proof that you know as much about the PRS in question here as i do about harvesting crops: ZERO.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
Are you kidding me? You said so yourself:

I was talking about the the Whole brand..not about one specific guitar(in this case the RGA)Ibanez have really improved in quality control after they shifted from korea to indonesia...

Between the Ibanez RGA42FM and the PRS SE Custom 24, the PRS IS better. Period.
And it has already been said why:

agreed....

If you have no experience with one, don't talk about it.
It has good tuning stability, as long as you know how to restring it properly (check Frudua's videos on YouTube).

I have experiences with them,I said i've never Owned one...although I have played many...it had *good tuning stability but not as good as a double locking trem or even a single locking one with locking tuners....

Lots of features don't make a guitar better.

no,but most of the guitars at that price range have more features than the PRS....I just cant justify that price.......

Between the S570DXQM and the PRS SE Custom 24, it's a matter of preference

maybe...if you are a heavy whammy user and a shredder th ibz is better,if you like to play blues one instant and play metal the next,and if you like classic looks and a non locking trem,the PRS is better

(although for me, even versus the S570DXQM the PRS has a slightly better build and finish quality).

to me,they both have equally great quality...

The TS should play them both and buy what feels best for him...
I played the PRS a couple of days ago and wet myself over its awesomeness
Getting it in a few weeks
The Internet: It's serious business
I have that exact PRS and can say its pretty awesome. I am changing the pickups though. The stock ones aren't bad but I'm putting in dimarzio air norton/air zone. And I have no problem with the tuning but I don't abuse the trem. One thing to think about is what kind of next you want. The PRS has a pretty thick neck which I personally like but if you want to shred you may want to think about the thinner wizard neck
For what it's worth...

I just recently bought the PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary guitar. The tuning stability is fantastic, and locking tuners aren't needed. The trem system is great, but obviously not intended for Van Halen-esque dives. To me, the majority of Ibanez models under the $1000 all sound very similar, with very little in the way of uniqueness aside from finish, tremolo, etc. When I am in the mood to purchase an instrument, I play the guitar acoustically with my hand on the top or behind the headstock. I then strum a note and see how it resonates/sustains based on vibration. This particular low-end PRS model surprised me with how well it sounded. Ibanez's are great guitars, but they make compromises on quality of woods, electronics, and build. The PRS neck is great and very playable. The pickups are FAR better than most Ibanez models you will find.

The drawbacks to the instrument is the neck joint is somewhat on the bulky side and the location of the pickup selector.

It really comes down to personal preference. I feel the PRS is just an overall solid instrument and probably rates in the top five or so other guitar models under $1000.

Have fun with whatever instrument you end up with!
Quote by Ampersand87

It really comes down to personal preference. I feel the PRS is just an overall solid instrument and probably rates in the top five or so other guitar models under $700
!

corrected

Quote by archenemyfan
Quote by Ampersand87
It really comes down to personal preference. I feel the PRS is just an overall solid instrument and probably rates in the top five or so other guitar models under $700
!
corrected

Nope. He's right.

Quote by Ampersand87
I feel the PRS is just an overall solid instrument and probably rates in the top five or so other guitar models under $1000.

Imho, only after $1000 the differences start to show.
Under $1000, PRS SE's are some of the best guitars out there.

What they lack in features, they compensate with better overall quality (in woods, hardware, manufacturing...).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
Nope. He's right.

Imho, only after $1000 the differences start to show.
Under $1000, PRS SE's are some of the best guitars out there.

What they lack in features, they compensate with better overall quality (in woods, hardware, manufacturing...).

For 1000$ bucks you could get a prestige or a MIJ jackson...now dont tell me PRS SE has got better quality than Ibanez PRESTIGE series..And jackson PRO series..PRS SE's are good but not as good as Prestige...and that is that...no arguements...
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
For 1000$ bucks you could get a prestige or a MIJ jackson...now dont tell me PRS SE has got better quality than Ibanez PRESTIGE series..And jackson PRO series..PRS SE's are good but not as good as Prestige...and that is that...no arguements...

They don't have necessarily better quality, but very close, yes.
Which still make them some of the best guitars out there under $1000.

And that is that. Period.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Ibanez prestige definitely has the highest quality for its price, you'll also get an excellent double-locking tremolo and the pickups can always be replaced (even though Dimarzio IBZ is decent).

To justify the PRS price you can easily say that they compensate the lack of features with quality ... Of course this lacks proof, and I highly doubt you're getting a difference in quality that can even compensates for the lack of features (Which is of course if we assume that PRS has a higher quality than Ibanez, Jackson mid-high end guitars, which is BS)

Edit: I love PRS and I believe that they have some fantastic quality guitars out there, but some are overpriced IMO.
Last edited by Tyraziell at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
Which still make them some of the best guitars out there under $1000.

And that is that. Period.

SO what you're saying is that the PRS SE line,which is the budget version of their guitars have better quality than the ibanez's highest quality line for the USA(which also includes JEM's PGM's and JS's as they are made in the same factory by the same people)and that can cost you up to 2500$ and some even have AAA grade carved maple tops are inferior PRS SE's which are made in korea?...are you kidding me?

No offense but In this case you are wrong...
Quote by archenemyfan
SO what you're saying is that the PRS SE line,which is the budget version of their guitars have better quality than the ibanez's highest quality line for the USA (...)?

Nope. That's not what i said.
People here in UG really should learn to read.

Here's what i said:
Quote by Linkerman

Which means that they are inferior, agreed, but they're not far behind.

Which brings me to what i meant, which is:
There aren't many guitars better than PRS SEs in the $700 to $1000 price range.
Therefore, PRS SEs are still in the Top 5 or so guitar models under $1000.

Got it? It's not that difficult to understand (i think...).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Which means that they are inferior, agreed, but they're not far behind.

Which brings me to what i meant, which is:
There aren't many guitars better than PRS SEs in the $700 to $1000 price range.
Therefore, PRS SEs are still in the Top 5 or so guitar models under $1000.

Got it? It's not that difficult to understand (i think...).

well then you should have something like "yes they are inferior but not that far behind)what you said will immediately look like that they are same or even better..I apologize for that though..

maybe top 20 or 10...yeah... this is going too far now..end rant
Ah, I knew this would happen. Let me fix this with a strong emphasis on "I" and "personally." I personally find the PRS SE to be of fantastic quality for an instrument under $1000. Yes, you can get better instruments, but based on the topic and his two guitars, I feel the PRS is better than that of the Ibanez. Are PRS SE's BETTER than Ibanez Prestige? For some, yes, for others not so much. Believe me, I am a fan of the Prestige series (haven't played many USA Jackson's) but feel it isn't as fully rounded as it can be due to woods, pickups, and yes, even the uber awesome neck. It really comes down to what you want to play with your instrument, and I feel that PRS makes a brand of guitar that is the jack of all trades and master of none, which I personally prefer.
Well then I can say to me,personally a 999$ rg1570 is better than a PRS custom 24(not the SE,the real deal)..does that sound fair to you?

Anyone can say anything..I can even say that a squire is better than a handmade custom shop guitar,but it doesn't mean that it is the truth...End rant 2...
Personally I would never EVER buy an Ibanez. Get the PRS, buddy. You'll be happy you did.
Gibson Les Paul Studio/Fender Telecaster/Fender Stratocaster -> MXR Phase 90 ->Vox V847 Wah -> Boss Ds-1 -> Ibanez Ts-9 -> Electro Harmonix Memory Boy ->
Jet City 20

Rome wasn't built in just a day.