Here's the deal. In sweden were i live all guitar products cost a fortune.
I'm looking for an amp to replace my spider... I found both of these used for the same price, the JCM 800 4210 and the JCM 2000 TSL 602
Both are combos with about the same wattage. What is the main difference between these amps? Wich one would fit me better?
I play stuff like, Lamb of god, Parkway Drive, As i lay dying, Metallica, As Blood Runs Black and The Black Dahlia Murder.
I'm also open to suggestions for an amp which might fit me better.
Well I would personally pass and keep saving for something like a recto as that is what the bands mostly use. A 5150 would work well too since ABRB and Parkway Drive use them live and in the studio.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Well I would personally pass and keep saving for something like a recto as that is what the bands mostly use. A 5150 would work well too since ABRB and Parkway Drive use them live and in the studio.

Boogie's are out of the question im afraid, im a 16 year old without an income and here in sweden guitar stuff costs about 50% more than i the US. Ill be sure to look for a 5150 though
Last edited by Jackamedmos at May 30, 2010,
5150 is awesome for metal but you gotta be careful what version you choose because some of them have AWFUL clean tones (if you care about clean tones, of course). As far as I know, they've fixed this issue in newer versions, but I'm not sure in which of 'em exactly.

JCM2000 also is a nice amp for metal but it's still a Marshall, it has more of a "British" kind of voicing, although it is modern sounding. JCM800 can't really handle metal on its own, but if you put an OD in front of it then you can get awesome Slayer-like tones. It's all a matter of preference.
Quote by zombiak
5150 is awesome for metal but you gotta be careful what version you choose because some of them have AWFUL clean tones (if you care about clean tones, of course). As far as I know, they've fixed this issue in newer versions, but I'm not sure in which of 'em exactly.

i heard the cleans on the 6505+ were a lot more usable than before. and also, the 5150 and 6505/6505+ are pretty much all the same from what i've heard. there are people who nitpick and say that the 5150 has a better sound, but technicality wise, i'm pretty sure the parts used to make them are almost identical.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Last edited by fli.pansy at May 30, 2010,
The short answer is, the 6505+ (or 5150II) has better cleans and a little less gain. Keep in Mind that we are talking about ridiculous amounts of gain, I usually kept my 5150 gain around 5-6.

The problem with a II/+ is that the matching combo (I'm assuming your going for combo here) Is made in china, not extremely reliable, and is only available as a 1x12, which doesn't really work for me.

EDIT: Just saw this..

Quote by zombiak

No.

The 5150/6505 has a rhythm channel with global EQ. This makes good clean tones harder to dial in, but nowhere near impossible. I used a 5150 for 2 years and never had a problem getting decent cleans out of it. With a chorus pedal, you can even get them to shimmer. It's not the most ideal amp for good cleans, but a far cry from "AWFUL"

It has nothing to do with new versions "fixed." The 5150/6505 and 5150II/6505+ are two different amps, the latter of which was designed for an actual clean channel.
Last edited by denied at May 30, 2010,
The DSL is much better than the TSL, trust me, don't get the TSL, get the 800.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
The 800, while a great amp, probably isn't what you're after if you want a tone similar to those bands. It's more british-voiced, and mid gain. It does the classic heavy metal tones with ease, but if you want a more modern metal sound out of one, you're gonna need to throw an OD pedal in front, or mod it.

The 2000 has a more modern voicing, and is good for a variety of styles. They can do metal, but I still think there are better amps in it's price range for metal (more gain, tighter gain structure, etc.).

I'd go w/a Peavey 5150/6505, XXX, Ultra plus, or if you can find a deal on a used one, an ENGL Fireball
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff