I play hard rock, but with a more modern edge. I also play some classic rock and blues, but hard rock and some metal (like metallica or dream theater, I'm not looking for a deathcore metal amp) is what I'm really all about. I guess I want an amp that has lots of gain like a mesa boogie but nice cleans and the ability to be played on lower distortion settings. I don't have 2-3 grand for a sick amp but I want a half stack. I'm in a band and we are getting really good but I feel that we aren't taken seriously because I run out of a line 6 75 watt spider 3. It's decent but i want a tube driven beast for our heavy music. I've looked at tons of amps and need to find a nice high-gain amp for somewhere in the 700-1200 range. Please respond with amps or even brands of nice amps that might solve my problem. Thank you so much!
Mesa/Boogie Mark III
Mark IV
Single Rectifier
Two channel Dual Rectifier
Mesa DC-3, DC-5
Rect-o-Verb, Tremoverb
Peavey Ultra
Peavey 3120
Peavey 6534+
Marshall JVM
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ah, somebody honest about why he wants a half stack! 1200 for the entire stack? go used.

Heads:

Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Peavey 5150II/6505+
Carvin V3

Any of those would be ideal.
Others that deserve mention:

Laney AOR
Jet City JCA100H
Marshall JCM2000
Marshall JCM900

The JSX and V3 probably have the most versatility. The XXX and 5150II will have the most refined tone.

For cabs, look at anything by Mesa, Bogner, Earcandy, Vader.

A Marshall 1960 would also be fine. Avatar are great budget cabs.

For speakers probably go with Celestion V30s, or WGS vet30s

I'd encourage you to get a 2x12 cab, they are so much easier to move around, and cheaper to road case. But if your set on a half stack, your set on a halfstack.
M
Get the Mesa Boogie 50:5 1x12. Its the nicest amp ive ever played on
Quote by denied
Ah, somebody honest about why he wants a half stack! 1200 for the entire stack? go used.

Heads:

Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Peavey 5150II/6505+
Carvin V3

Any of those would be ideal.
Others that deserve mention:

Laney AOR
Jet City JCA100H
Marshall JCM2000
Marshall JCM900

The JSX and V3 probably have the most versatility. The XXX and 5150II will have the most refined tone.

For cabs, look at anything by Mesa, Bogner, Earcandy, Vader.

A Marshall 1960 would also be fine. Avatar are great budget cabs.

For speakers probably go with Celestion V30s, or WGS vet30s

I'd encourage you to get a 2x12 cab, they are so much easier to move around, and cheaper to road case. But if your set on a half stack, your set on a halfstack.
M

Listen to this man please, he was sent by the gods to enlighten you. +1

Also, I personally feel you pretty much describe Alter Bridge's style? JSX will serve you wonders.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Well i like what i see in the jsx and the mesa but tey really are too expensive. Any thoughts on the carvin v3? Also what about the peavey 3120? and any more ideas? I am willing to go with a combo i really am. It's not just the look of a half stack that i want. That doesn't really matter to me that much. Ultimately I just want a reliable amp that sounds great.
The very most you should pay for a JSX is 800. Theres a buy it now on ebay for that amount right now. I've seen them go as low as 500 in near mint condition. That leaves you between 400 and 700 for a good cabinet. What is the problem? Hunt for good used deals.

This isn't going to jump out at you and say "Hey BUY ME I'M CHEAP"

If you want good tone, make it happen.
Okay sorry I didn't realize that...well thanks and if you have any advise on cabs I'd love that too. For the JSX would i just get the matching cab or something else? And what about the v3? Any other opinions you have would be greatly appreciated and thanks again.
Quote by hellraiser11
Well i like what i see in the jsx and the mesa but tey really are too expensive. Any thoughts on the carvin v3? Also what about the peavey 3120? and any more ideas? I am willing to go with a combo i really am. It's not just the look of a half stack that i want. That doesn't really matter to me that much. Ultimately I just want a reliable amp that sounds great.

You can get a used Mark IV head for $1200. Actually, all of the amps I and denied have mentioned can be found for less than 1200 bucks used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ya i see that but truly I would like to go with a head and cab for less than 1200 or a combo amp so if their are any nice combos for like 1000 or less that would be nice. I wish i could get a v3 carvin used but they're sold direct and only one is even on ebay. So I'd get a combo too.
Rivera ktre
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
tha looks like a nice amp but too expensive for me. Also I couldn't find but one on ebay and that one was 1800.
Quote by hellraiser11
Okay sorry I didn't realize that...well thanks and if you have any advise on cabs I'd love that too. For the JSX would i just get the matching cab or something else? And what about the v3? Any other opinions you have would be greatly appreciated and thanks again.

I did recommend a bunch of cabs..

This website is a pretty comprehensive search of used gear sales in the US. It is at the very least useful for pricing used gear, and will give you an idea of what to haggle for.

http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi
there's a bunch of ktre's on guitar center's used gear website.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
okay thanks. Do you guys think that a jcm 2000 would have the type of gain and cleans that I'm looking for? I just wondered because they are so easy to find for a good price.