Page 1 of 3
Obviously inspired by all the other debates going on right now.

Do you think that gay pride is really a good viewpoint? Personally I am a huge supporter of gay rights, but I'm not really sure that I understand gay pride as opposed to gay rights. It just seems to be, once again, people taking pride in things over which they have no control.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to breed the amount of hostility that we all saw in the white pride thread, although I realize it could come to that. If it does, just lock it. I just wanted to get some thoughts on this and debates and such.
Last edited by GRiMM94 at May 30, 2010,
Once again, a case of people confusing "not being ashamed" with "being proud"
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
its very important , my mom used to take me to all the gay pride parades it just like any other parade weather it be for African American's or a cancer march .
I have a gig at a gay pride parade next month.

Although I think it's dumb I'm gonna keep it quiet for a while.

Edit: That is, when I say I think it's dumb I'm not referring to pride as in the opposite of shame.

****, the definition of that word is showing it's subjectiveness today...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at May 30, 2010,
It's not that they're showing pride in their sexuality, it's because society shits on them so much that they have to make a stand in the face of adversity.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
It's more of a counterpoint to being ashamed of one's homosexuality. It doesn't say "homo is better than hetero", it says "homo is just as good as hetero".

Nay, gay folks don't have a superiority complex or something like that.
Gay pride isn't so much about being proud of being gay as if it were an achievement, it's about not feeling the need to hide in the shadows anymore.
I reckon everyone can support that, except the bigots of course.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
That's you that's me brah. I don't particularly care about gays or any of the other groups that comprise society. Do what you like? As long as you don't legitimately infringe on the rights of anyone else.
Putting it that way makes more sense. I've met gay people who seriously do have superiority issues and think they're better than straight people though. I don't talk to him anymore. I definitely support more visibility and rights though.
If you were trying to do a clone of my thread that got closed, a more appropriate question to spark discussion would have been "Is straight pride a legitimate pride?"
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by RawPower218
Why would you take pride in an immoral choice you made?

I can't believe I'm saying this twice in the same day to the same person.

TROOOOOOOLL!!!!

IN THE DUNGEON!

Quote by TheBurningFish
I have a gig at a gay pride parade next month.

Although I think it's dumb I'm gonna keep it quiet for a while.

Edit: That is, when I say I think it's dumb I'm not referring to pride as in the opposite of shame.

****, the definition of that word is showing it's subjectiveness today...

so we do have that gig? way to keep me in the dark I haven't even mentioned it to gingertits yet...

and I'm all for gay pride, cos apparently I'm playing a gig there next month
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
so we do have that gig? way to keep me in the dark I haven't even mentioned it to gingertits yet...

and I'm all for gay pride, cos apparently I'm playing a gig there next month

I spoke to you last night about it.

Y'know, while you were not in UQ

Yeah, we have it if we want it.

Quote by TheBurningFish
I spoke to you last night about it.

Y'know, while you were not in UQ

Yeah, we have it if we want it.

I was at work from 8am to 10pm yesterday, I wasn't exactly in a state to remember much afterwards besides, I wasn't in UQ yesterday >_>

Quote by RawPower218

Because their aim is to make baby jesus cry, and all the buttsecks accomplishes that nicely.
It's just like white pride or black pride, it's people confusing not being ashamed with being proud (+1, Perfection 101).

Quote by RawPower218

troll harder
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by guitaruboy
i don't understand how it could be immoral

or a choice..

Quote by TheQuailman
Because their aim is to make baby jesus cry, and all the buttsecks accomplishes that nicely.

They definitely already accomplished that goal a long time ago. Now their doing things like causing god to curse us with 9/11 and the gulf oil spill. What do they want from us?
Quote by RawPower218

Get back under your bridge.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
If you were trying to do a clone of my thread that got closed, a more appropriate question to spark discussion would have been "Is straight pride a legitimate pride?"

The two questions go hand in hand. If people want to discuss the legitimacy of straight pride fine, fine. It was bound to come up at some point.
Quote by jgbsmith
I was at work from 8am to 10pm yesterday, I wasn't exactly in a state to remember much afterwards besides, I wasn't in UQ yesterday >_>

Of course you weren't. Who said you were?

Can I give the gay, Scottish Circle of Elders the thumbs up, then?
Quote by RawPower218
They definitely already accomplished that goal a long time ago. Now their doing things like causing god to curse us with 9/11 and the gulf oil spill. What do they want from us?

Don't reproduce.

Last edited by TheBurningFish at May 30, 2010,
Quote by TheBurningFish
Of course you weren't. Who said you were?

Can I give the gay, Scottish Circle of Elders the thumbs up, then?

yeah, gingertits is cool with it, I texted it..

what date?

Quote by RawPower218

Us? Nothing.

So far all signs are pointing to Reptilians from Mars.

Btw, if you really wanna troll, you have to take things slower. Just going "GHEYS ARE BAAAD" in your first post will get you called out.

EDIT: Several people went for the bait. I stand corrected.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 30, 2010,
if you ask me I say marriage is for everyone and people should be proud of who they are and shouldn't hate others for the way they are..(unless they are Pop fans of course)

but Who cares...last I checked the Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico is growing...and there is still no sign of it being fixed..
Quote by RawPower218

is this sarcasm? i hope. it seems to ridiculous not to be
Quote by RawPower218

Fred, is that you?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I see a gay pride parade as a way to showcase how far human rights has come when dealing with the gay/bi community. They've went through a lot, I see it as a way for them to celebrate the fact that they don't need to hide their sexuality anymore.
Quote by jgbsmith
yeah, gingertits is cool with it, I texted it..

what date?

July 17th.

Quote by guitaruboy
i don't understand how it could be immoral

According to the Bible, it is immoral, in Leviticus 18. I don't want to start a big argument about it, but he's right.

And yes, it is a choice to whoever said they don't see how it's a choice either.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by TheBurningFish
July 17th.

saweeeeet.

Quote by guitarmaniac88
According to the Bible, it is immoral, in Leviticus 18. I don't want to start a big argument about it, but he's right.

And yes, it is a choice to whoever said they don't see how it's a choice either.

Go troll elsewhere.
I hate gay pride.

I'm all for gay rights, but gay pride encourages stereotypes about homosexuality and the point of being accepted into society is to not have those stereotypes and the like.

I'm bisexual and have gay friends who are equally opposed to the whole pride thing. You don't see "straight pride" do you?

If you want to encourage stereotypes, then feel free, but I'd rather not. I like to keep my bisexuality a small part of me, not the defining thing about me, and that's how it should be. Straight people don't say "Hi, I'm Fred and I'm straight", so why should gay/lesbian/bi/trans people do the same with a f*ck-off massive parade?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at May 30, 2010,
Quote by guitarmaniac88

And the collective IQ in this thread just dropped!
Quote by guitarmaniac88

It's not a choice.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
shouldn't be any gay rights, just people rights. You're not special and don't deserve any special treatment, just do whatever you do in private is my veiw
Page 1 of 3