Long story short, I was sick of Audacity, as good and basic as it is, so I downloaded Reaper to replace it.
I prefer it, I've had it all of about half an hour and its all seeming to work fine.
Apart from when I try to record layered tracks. I have my track 1 set to stereo L/R input, and recorded a guitar track, from my amp into the mic. port on the computer.
I created track 2 and did the same setup, except now it wont record my guitar playing, its recording the playback off track 1 onto it and not picking up my amp input. Iv played around a bit and im getting real tired and could use some help if theres someone not as retarded as me when it comes to computer problems.
make sure that when u right click the arm for record button on track 2 that the Record : input is checked
Quote by azzman1337
make sure that when u right click the arm for record button on track 2 that the Record : input is checked

Bingo, sounds like your problem.

Also, congrats! I've been using Reaper for over a year now and have used it for all the recordings I've done, and it's been nothing short of amazing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Y'know what guys, that could just be it
Man, such a simple mistake. I can use Cubase and ProTools, yet Reaper screwed me over.
Cheers for that, Im also very happy with the software and am seriously considering using it instead of saving up for Cubase, and buying a new laptop with the money.
yeah Reaper is awesome, you can get LOADS of VST plugins too, which come in handy. I wouldn't bother with cubase or pro tools
Quote by azzman1337
yeah Reaper is awesome, you can get LOADS of VST plugins too, which come in handy. I wouldn't bother with cubase or pro tools

This. I've even heard people say Reaper is way better than Pro Tools. Not totally sure about that but I know Pro Tools isn't worth the money, they really rape you with the prices.

I've currently got like 120 VSTs in Reaper and I recently put out a song on my band's myspace (link below, first song on the playlist) with 8 tracks... drums had about 4 plugins going, vox had about 10 plugins, guitars had 3 or 4, etc etc etc and it has never once crashed on me (Toshiba Satellite laptop).
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I would not go as far to say that Reaper is better then Pro Tools/Cubase. They are just different and offer different things.

Honestly, when it comes to DAW's such as Pro Tools, Reaper, Sonar, Cubase, ACID, Logic, etc. it really comes down to what the user needs. I know that if I used MIDI a lot, I would want Cubase instead of Reaper. However, if I wanted simplicity and "straight-forwardness", I would want Reaper.
Yeah most have their strong points but most all DAW's do the basic same things... It's really up to the users preferences. I usually reach for Reaper first cause it just seems faster to go from Boot-up to laying down a track. Others would argue that point though. I always was a Mac User and Logic (actually Garageband was first) was what I learned on. I've ran Logic, Cubase, Sonar Producer, Cakewalks Music Creator, EnergyXT - tried out LIVE, Studio One and FL Studio - and actually ran Pro Tools for about 1 day - I'd like to experiment more with Pro Tools but returned the hardware the next day. So that ended that. Right Now Reaper is my main Go-To on my PC, With Sonar coming in 2nd. On my Mac it'll always be Logic for me.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The only problem i've heard of with reaper is that some people don't like the midi editor, which cubase is supposed to be great for. But for laying down guitar tracks and doing basic midi work you can;t beat reaper's price.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
The only problem i've heard of with reaper is that some people don't like the midi editor, which cubase is supposed to be great for. But for laying down guitar tracks and doing basic midi work you can;t beat reaper's price.
Yeah I really hate Reaper's midi editor.

It's a pain in the ass really, but then again I am still getting used to it.