Hello. I'm starting from complete scratch and have no idea where to start. I'm overwhelmed with all these chords, scales, tones, notes, octaves...etc. I have no idea where to begin. I think I learn best when I have a guideline to follow. Does anyone know what's the best area to begin with and so on?

Thank you!!
i first started out by learning what the clef was and the length of notes. then moved onto note position, then it all just expanded from there.

Start off by reading up about the stave, clef, note heads, note length, time signatures and key signatures. Then go on to learn about basic triads, then that will move onto 7 chords, 9, 11, and 13 chords.
welcome to the world of guitar!
i recommend learning the notes on the fretboard to start off with.
when you're somewhat familiar with the layout, you can learn these chords, and a few scales, and you'll be up and running in to time

don't forget to have fun and learn all your favourite songs!
ok so start off by learning basic guitar chords. A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G. Then move on to the trickier F, Fm, B and Bm, (by the little m i mean minor).

You might also want to start doing basic finger movement stuff, so just find some finger warm ups and practice them, they will build strength right into your fingers.

Also a bout thing to do is do what heminder said, and learn the notes of the guitar, so if someone says play a F#minor chord, you know EXACTLY where to go.

Feel free to ask anything, I'm keen to help
The best thing to learn is the names of the strings and the parts of the guitar. Learn about the guitar and amp aspects before moving on to songs and music. If you don't know the instrument you won't know techniques and therefore making songs hard to learn. Experiment with the settings on your guitar and / or amp. For everything else, there's YouTube. They offer tons of videos on learning scales, techniques, notes, songs, or just about everything else. There are also tons of lessons and help on this website outside of the forums. I would start with learning songs before you learn the other parts of music. This is so that you can just get used to playing and then once you learn the scales, key signatures etc. you will learn how to apply them to your own music.
personally i don't have time for a teacher but i found that getting a guitar method book in combination with a book on technique and theory has worked pretty good for me although i have only recently really got involved with my guitar
Quote by BCarey2293
The best thing to learn is the names of the strings and the parts of the guitar. Learn about the guitar and amp aspects before moving on to songs and music. If you don't know the instrument you won't know techniques and therefore making songs hard to learn. Experiment with the settings on your guitar and / or amp. For everything else, there's YouTube. They offer tons of videos on learning scales, techniques, notes, songs, or just about everything else. There are also tons of lessons and help on this website outside of the forums. I would start with learning songs before you learn the other parts of music. This is so that you can just get used to playing and then once you learn the scales, key signatures etc. you will learn how to apply them to your own music.

Ya go with it