Page 1 of 3
I'm moving to Australia from the UK to study music in about a year, but haven't yet chosen which university, I was wondering which city had a good metal scene? And I'm more into sort of 80s style metal + early death metal, pantera etc than stuff like, metalcore, deathcore, ihatemyparentsbecausetheymademetidymyroomangstyteenagercore, so I'm not really interested in a city which has a sort of <insert>core genre, don't like drop tuning too much as well, dont mind downtuning, just dont like drop tuning.
Quote by Born Headless
They don't drop tune in Sydney. And Pantera is an angsty teenager band in my opinion.

Wouldnt say teenager, though they border on it perhaps, maybe their last two albums.
Theres a big hardcore/metalcore/deathcore thing going on in Australia at the moment. It's pretty shit... (and I am a metal fan)
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Theres a big hardcore/metalcore/deathcore thing going on in Australia at the moment. It's pretty shit... (and I am a metal fan)

Meh, thats disappointing, if not metal, how about prog rock/metal, fusion? Hell, I'll play anything as long as its fun to play.
Quote by Cerelil
Meh, thats disappointing, if not metal, how about prog rock/metal, fusion? Hell, I'll play anything as long as its fun to play.

Karnivool and Cog are sort of proggish rockish metallish stuff. I haven't heard any of their songs though, and I don't know what cities they are based in.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
they have Portal, so ya. maybe its something in the water...
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Quote by Cerelil

I think melbourne is pretty good for that.

The better bands are mostly spread out though.
Defamer
Aeternitas
Ne Obliviscaris
Empyrean
The Schoenberg Automaton
Helm
Arcane
Dead Letter Opener
The Fevered
The Day Everything Became Nothing

I could go on. We've actually got a pretty vast metal scene atm.
Quote by RainingBlood27
Parkway Drive. Enough has been said.

hush, child.

Aus has quite a few decent bands, whether they translate into a healthy live scene though, that's another story.

but there's umm Mournful Congregation, Astriaal, Nocturnal Graves, Stormbane, Order of Orias, Destruktor, Gospel of the Horns (who just never seem to ****ing retire!)... apart from the ones mentioned already that's all I can think of from the top of my head, but there are heaps more.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I'm kind of interested why you're moving to Australia to study music of all places. Seems like a somewhat random choice.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
I'm kind of interested why you're moving to Australia to study music of all places. Seems like a somewhat random choice.

agreed; I mean there are some great places for it here, but at the same time, it's at the arse end of the world...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
agreed; I mean there are some great places for it here, but at the same time, it's at the arse end of the world...

yeah, good bands hardly ever come here.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by pbiggie
yeah, good bands hardly ever come here.

nah in the past few years there've been a few decent acts, just compared to like, Europe, where you can see things like Pagan Altar play, it doesn't quite compare

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Cianyx
ANUS related or not, I felt this was quite interesting.

http://www.deathmetal.org/2009/hellfires-of-the-lands-down-under

Not only could I have predicted the bands they listed because they're the same bands that every uber tr00, I'm too br00tal for this world death metal fan mentions, but not even a mention of Portal?

lol
That article portrays Australians as people who live in the desert without clothes and hunt their food with spears.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Destroyer 666
LORD
Ne Obliviscaris

uhhmmmm..... i know a lot but my mind is currently blank.
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Quote by Alter-Bridge
That article portrays Australians as people who live in the desert without clothes and hunt their food with spears.

Which is 100% accurate
Ne Obliviscaris is hopefully the sign of Aussie music to come, my god they are incredible.

Portal are awesome as well, a little scary though.
Quote by Deplorable
Dudes Nazxul, geez.

(even though they are not nearly as good as before, still kick the shit out of everything)

Eh. No.
Quote by jibran
What's that, Mag? A Cynic and Atheist tribute band? Sounds good.

He also takes a heavy influence from Porcupine Tree
One of my favourite countries for metal, without a doubt. Off to see Vomitor at the weekend and all.... they destroyed Dublin last week. And then we have Trench Hell in a few weeks!!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Australia has Steve Hughes, who is a great comedian and also played in Nazxul (he played on Totem, I think).
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
Australia has Steve Hughes, who is a great comedian and also played in Nazxul (he played on Totem, I think).

And Black Seed
Quote by Magero
And Muse. Don't forget those glorious purveyors of progressive gold.

Decompose in a vat of steaming sperm.
everything here's shit, all hardcore bullshit, but in about 2-3 years there should be a genre hop, which will hopefully lead to metal....
Quote by CTFOD

And more importantly, Slaughter Lord!!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Page 1 of 3