Alright, so I'm moving from Hawaii to Washington D.C. in 2months and I have to leave behind my Line 6 4x12 with V30's. It sounds pretty good but it is not worth the expensive shipping fee's so I figure I'd leave it here with my father and try to craigslist it. This leaves me getting a new cab in D.C.

I'm looking at Millsacoustic's 4x12 (Afterburner) and the 2x12 Mach. Of course I'll go around music stores when I move and try out different cabs but I'm pretty set on one of these.

I'm deciding whether I want a 4x12 or a 2x12. I'm already used to having a 4x12 (with casters) and my car can fit it no problem so I don't complain about lugging it around. I hear 4x12's project sound better so It probably monitors well; I'd like to hear myself. The 2x12 is $800 I believe and the 4x12 is $1100, which I don't mind paying due to the fact that they are very high quality and will last. I'd hate to say it but the look factor plays into it. Having a big 4x12 screams rock and roll (Emphasis on the ROLL, haha) and It sounds big and looks big.

What do you guys suggest? To recap, I don't mind rolling it around and lifting it but I'd just like to hear the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by ILIKEMUSICALOT
You know what they say, bigger IS better.

thats what she said...
Did you make a thread about this same scenario a while back? I could swear there was an identical one without mention of specific cabs..

A 412 has better presence and bass response. It doesn't matter a huge amount when micced, but overall, yes a 412 sounds better. Some 212s have been designed really well (mills, earcandy, bogner, vader etc), and will sound very full, close to a 412 but still not quite there. And yes, the 412s look great.

The only reason I use a 212 is because I decided to spend the extra money to get a really good one, and I needed it to be light enough to lug around to gigs every week. A lot of paid gigs do not call for a half stack, and a 412 looks kindof overkill and paints you as way too eager. If I had the cash right now, I'd have both.

With a Mills cab, either will sound great. If you can afford the 412 and don't mind the hassle, go for it.

I'd also seriously consider getting a road case for your cab, and it will last you a lifetime. If your going to spend so much money on it, you might as well go the extra and take care of it. It won't be cheap, but it's worth it. I move my gear really carefully, but one day found a tear on the bottom of my buzzbomb, and decided enough is enough. No regrets.
Quote by denied
Did you make a thread about this same scenario a while back? I could swear there was an identical one without mention of specific cabs..

A 412 has better presence and bass response. It doesn't matter a huge amount when micced, but overall, yes a 412 sounds better. Some 212s have been designed really well (mills, earcandy, bogner, vader etc), and will sound very full, close to a 412 but still not quite there. And yes, the 412s look great.

The only reason I use a 212 is because I decided to spend the extra money to get a really good one, and I needed it to be light enough to lug around to gigs every week. A lot of paid gigs do not call for a half stack, and a 412 looks kindof overkill and paints you as way too eager. If I had the cash right now, I'd have both.

With a Mills cab, either will sound great. If you can afford the 412 and don't mind the hassle, go for it.

I'd also seriously consider getting a road case for your cab, and it will last you a lifetime. If your going to spend so much money on it, you might as well go the extra and take care of it. It won't be cheap, but it's worth it. I move my gear really carefully, but one day found a tear on the bottom of my buzzbomb, and decided enough is enough. No regrets.

Thanks for the sound advice. I know lots of gigs do not call for a 4x12 and that a 2x12 would more then cut it but something makes me want to get a 4x12 again after the move. A road case sounds like a good idea, along with Insurance on all my gear. I'll try to check things out at local stores and Guitar Center. We only have 3 music stores in my area and 1 (the Mesa dealer) is 50miles away. It'll be nice to have lots of music stores. I'd love to have both but I definitely don't have cash for that, and even If I did, I'd rather buy a 2nd guitar. I like having a big bottom end and presence because I play everything from blues+alternative and Rock+Metal. Thanks again for the tips, I'll keep my options open.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Wouldn't Insurance cover theft? Thats something I would be worried about. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure no ones going to be able to steal a 4x12 if I get one, it weights a ton! But I want to guard my gear like a hawk because I cherish it and I would die inside if any of it got messed up or stolen. I'm going to be in College in a year so that adds on to more things, but I want to keep my gear together and tidy, after all I'll be majoring in music. Thats a whole different subject.

Anyway thanks again for the advice, I'll probably be heading down the 4x12 road but I'll check stuff out.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
everyone should do a 4x12 if they have the desire to do so. i did a peavey 4x12 (de-emblemed of course) for a long while, and i was a rock god too. i did end up settling on a orange ppc212 in my later days as the appeal of the 4x12 has waned. now i even have a little crate 1x12 cab i bought on the cheap that i use for the portable cab, i don't even feel like lugging the orange around too much anymore more.

get the 4x12, enjoy it, and never regret the decision. you can get a 2x12 later to supplement it anyway, then you can run a 3/4 stack. awesome.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae