Ok so I know what your thinking that sounds really stuipid right. Anyways I am converting a old bronze series warlock into a “baitar” lol “guitbass” I want some opinions on the mechanics of this more specially string gauges exct. So here is the IDEA Crap bronze series warlock, Drill out the tune o matic and tuners if need be. Replace both humbuckers “maybe, I may leave in the guitar pickups ” Tune to B E A D like a five string without the g. replace nut with custom. Wire that bad boy into various stomp boxes and a pre-amp. plug into line 6 low down. I was thinking the strings that might make this work would be ernie ball short scale slinkys off a six string set. Gauges B 74. E 54. A 42. D 30. What are your thoughts on this and how would you do this differently? And please don’t tell me not to do this. I am building for fun and by no means for necessity. So let me know what string gauges and what stomp boxes you would use. We play industrial so anything goes! Get back with me guys. This could be some fun.
The neck probably wont be able to take the tension of the strings.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
The neck probably wont be able to take the tension of the strings.

Bass and Guitar necks are built Identical to each other.
You will have to adjust the truss rod though.
..I was watching my death.
Im really not worried about hurting the neck. This things a throw away guitar anyways. Plus the strings are for a short scale bass, so the tension should not be to much more on a guitar. Like I said the gauges im thinking are B74. E54. A42. D30. So three of these strings are the same gauge as a heavy gauge guitar set. Plus these are The old ernie ball slinkys so they should not have as much tension as standard bass strings anyways except for the 74 that may be a bit tense, maybe I will be counteracted and balanced because I am going to omit two guitar strings as far as tension goes. Anyone have an opinion of Brand/gauge of stings? Pickups? I have put a little thought into this and was really wanting to know if anyone had any ideas for FX in this rig? I keep thinking about just using some drop guitar pickups in it like some Duncan sh6/tb6 distortions they are geared for the low end crunch similar to bass pickups? The only thing I keep wondering is if and how I could run standard distortion through this rig. When you try this on a standard bass it sounds like poop, and you have to use an overdrive or just a pre amp to get something similar to distortion. I would like you guys to share some ideas on that. Here is one of mine. Baitar/guitbass into comp pedal, into heavy distortion like a death metal, Add boss octave, Gate it and send it to the Low down stack. What would you guys do? Sting/fx setup wise? Be creative like I said anything goes.
Intonation would be a complete problem. You would have to mount the bridge as far back as possible on the body. Also you would find that most bass necks do not fit guitar bodies without a lot of work.
Am I bassist that plays guitar, or a guitarist that plays bass? A guitar in a bass amp, a bass in a guitar amp?
I'm not going to change necks. That would be a huge mess and snap the body in seconds of tuning. So ill just leave the neck and brige be. I totally agree about the intonation being a mess. It probably won't carry a tune past the 12th fret. But i can accomadate with playing style and the proper effects into the bass rig to make it sound more bass like.
If you want a bass, why not just buy a detuning pedal?
I don't think this is a good idea.
Also, if this is a throw-away guitar, I'll take it. I mean after the neck snapping...
..I was watching my death.
Digitech whammy->happiness?
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Well, You would have to keep the scale length the same, and if you tuned it to bass tunings, then I'd imagine at that scale length, the strings would just get all loose and floppy

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Yeah I know this could turn out to be horrible mess. Well lets just get full blown stupid on this one like the good old garage days. what the heck this is going to be fun. Its not like i am lacking in the instrument department nor “Need a bass” so lets get crazy with the throw away. Contrary to popular belief I have the tools and experience to make this sound good, however it will NOT sound like a traditional bass. Im thinking more along the lines of a unique guitar sound through a bass amp. So lets just shoe away the naysayers and have fun with it. I know from experience you can put the two smallest strings from any traditional six string bass on a guitar. (If you try this DO LOT LEAVE IT IN TUNE WHEN YOU PUT IT DOWN FOR THE NIGHT OR YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR NECK QUICK! Period! two much tension!) But I plan on using short scale bass strings which have a tension a lot more suited for a guitar neck. Plus they are SLINKY. I think that the combined tension of four small gauge short scale bass strings “slinky” should be in the same ball park as the tension of 6 heavy gauge guitar strings, if not it will be pretty close.
So what are your thoughts on String types/ gauges and effects layout??????? I still haven’t gotten many opinions on these. Come on guys be creative. You artists act like it! LOL
and for the guys who are laughing at me for this im right there laughing at me too. But this IS possible and for the lack of better words will sound “unique” to say the least. lol
Quote by timbit2006
If you want a bass, why not just buy a detuning pedal?
I don't think this is a good idea.
Also, if this is a throw-away guitar, I'll take it. I mean after the neck snapping...

LOL. I tell ya what if i end up braking this i'll let you have the mess LOL. But I dont think its going to come to that. I have done my homework on this.
so for my own clarity you want a 25.5 inch scale bass tuned bead? okay I will look into the string gauges on the ibanez micro and do some figuring out and report back in.

edit
http://store.daddario.com/category/145933/EXL170-5SL_Syper_Long_Scale_5-String_45-130
i would try these i guess. the ibanez mikro bass comes in at 28.5 inches with 105-50 size stings on it. I would use these and toss the 45. you may want to go bigger do to your shorter scale.

re-edit: was looking back at what you wrote and Im not sure if you are trying to tune it like the low 4 strings of a 5er bass or a 7string guitar.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by the_perdestrian
so for my own clarity you want a 25.5 inch scale bass tuned bead? okay I will look into the string gauges on the ibanez micro and do some figuring out and report back in.

edit
http://store.daddario.com/category/145933/EXL170-5SL_Syper_Long_Scale_5-String_45-130
i would try these i guess. the ibanez mikro bass comes in at 28.5 inches with 105-50 size stings on it. I would use these and toss the 45. you may want to go bigger do to your shorter scale.

re-edit: was looking back at what you wrote and Im not sure if you are trying to tune it like the low 4 strings of a 5er bass or a 7string guitar.

Yes like a 5 sting bass seven sting guitar. BEAD. I don't really ever go higher than the d on my five strings so i think just skipping g i could shave off some tension. Ill check out those strings man, maybe order a set. oh and yes its a 25.5 in scale neck.
I'd rip off the frets while your at it. The frets would be way of the note it was suppose to hit
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
tbh you're better selling it as a guitar then buying a cheap ass squire bass off ebay cos even that will sound better than what you are trying to create.

the scale and well just everything about it wont work!
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by gillehy
tbh you're better selling it as a guitar then buying a cheap ass squire bass off ebay cos even that will sound better than what you are trying to create.

the scale and well just everything about it wont work!

Yes i am well aware of that. this is a project just for fun. I have more gear laying around then anyone needs, and years of experience with sound engineering and i have admitted several times in previous posts that this is a very stupid idea. But that's the point! right.? I will admit finding the right size string gauge will pose a problem. As well as tension and neck durability. But it IS possible and will work if approached correctly.

Any positive thoughts and opinions on the subject would be much appreciated. I have been willing to take criticism with a grain of salt so far but lets get passed the BAD IDEA DON'T DO THIS attitude and just have fun guys. I really do want your thoughts on this. And again be creative and quit pointing out the obvious faults with this idea. I share your opinion, this is a very stupid idea. But it holds such great potential for a unique sound and a fun project. So let put this kinda stuff behind us, please.

Any positive thoughts on this subject would be much appreciated. headbang