Okay, so I'm getting to the point where I need moar power because I'm gonna start gigging soon.

I have a Peavey Envoy 110, it's 40w and not loud enough for my needs. This being a combo amp, is there a way to connect it to another cab? It has a headphone output, should this work for such a purpose? I just can't afford a new amp, especially one with the power I need.

If I can't use a cab with it, what's the cheapest way to get a nice loud rig without it being a matching stack/expensive combo? Basically, I would need a cheapish cab and a cheapish power amp I think. Suggestions please.

Thanks!
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
Dude, im looking of buying that amp, can you post a summary and video of how it sounds?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by denied
Could you sell your current amp, and if so what would your budget be at that point?

I'm guessing I could get like a hundo for it. Then my budget would be pretty slim still, like $300 tops... I'm in high school

Quote by NosralTserrof
Dude, im looking of buying that amp, can you post a summary and video of how it sounds?

Wanna buy mine? lol. I'll try to get a vid up eventually, but it won't have great sound quality I'm afraid...
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Last edited by 11macj at May 30, 2010,
Quote by 11macj

Wanna buy mine? lol. I'll try to get a vid up eventually, but it won't have great sound quality I'm afraid...

Maybe. If it sounds good....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Maybe. If it sounds good....

It sounds awesome. Works extremely well with my Strat. Great on clean and has a pretty sick lead channel.

My style consists of a lot of classic rock. My band covers Zeppelin, RHCP, and the like. When we jam I'm almost always on clean, but will occasionally break out a distortion pedal. But in a new amp I'd like it to have a good lead channel and a footswitch. Lead channel on current amp is great, like I said, but footswitches for the Envoy have been discontinued and I can't find one :/

I'm thinking a used Fender Frontman 212 would be a good choice. Thoughts?
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Your best bet would be just to either hire/buy a PA system, or try to get gigs in places that have their own, then just mic your amp.
In order to connect a cab to your amp you'd need to somehow attach a jack to the speaker lead that connects your amp to it's internal speaker(s).
Don't ask me how, I'm not an expert on the subject.
Guitar - Washburn X-50PROQ
Amp- Ibanez TBX15r (using to run my POD through)
Pedals - Line6 POD X3, Dunlop Crybaby Gcb-95
Quote by 11macj
It sounds awesome. Works extremely well with my Strat. Great on clean and has a pretty sick lead channel.

My style consists of a lot of classic rock. My band covers Zeppelin, RHCP, and the like. When we jam I'm almost always on clean, but will occasionally break out a distortion pedal. But in a new amp I'd like it to have a good lead channel and a footswitch. Lead channel on current amp is great, like I said, but footswitches for the Envoy have been discontinued and I can't find one :/

I'm thinking a used Fender Frontman 212 would be a good choice. Thoughts?

Since you're looking for a good lead channel, no. Good cleans though.
There is a used Peavey Vypyr 75 on Musicians Friend for $265 like new if you can sell the Envoy.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
There is a used Peavey Vypyr 75 on Musicians Friend for $265 like new if you can sell the Envoy.

the peavey vypyrs are a pretty nice amp for the money.

i know i am going to get flamed for this, but maybe a used valveking 2x12" ? but you would pretty much need an EQ and Tube screamer at minimum, but it would get the job done. they can be had in your price range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What about a Raven RG100? I've heard good things about em
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
To people saying cabs don't make combos sound louder:
Maybe not all that much dB and technical stuff, but from first hand experience my Vox AC4 seems much louder, and fuller, plugged into my 2x12 cabinet.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i second the peavey valveking 2x12. i've seen them go for 300 easily, and they dont sound half bad.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7
i second the peavey valveking 2x12. i've seen them go for 300 easily, and they dont sound half bad.

You sure? They seem pretty expensive. I'm seeing used 1x12's for 300, not 2x12's...

How about this?
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle=crate-flexwve120&itemNumber=CRA0003B

Any thoughts about Crate?
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Last edited by 11macj at Jun 1, 2010,
i know of 2 people who got used 2x12s for 250 or so. and i've seen one at GC for 300.

maybe its just my area? i live in rochester and it has a pretty decent scene coming along.
Quote by 11macj
You sure? They seem pretty expensive. I'm seeing used 1x12's for 300, not 2x12's...

even so, check out the 1x12, a tube amp is much louder than solid state for the same wattage, and 60W is plenty.
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
I'm going to recommend getting a 4x12 cabinet if you can afford/have room for it.

All you would have to do is disconnect the speaker leads off the back of the current speaker built into the Peavy, and run them to the 4x12 (if you go this route, be sure and make sure the nominal impedance of the 4x12 matches that of the combo amp's speaker)

Assuming the 4x12 cabinet's speakers are 3dB more efficient each than that of your combo amp (since its a 10" speaker, i think thats reasonable), you could potentially get as much as a 9 decibel gain in output. That is not even factoring in the lessened power compression due to driving 4 motors rather than 1, which will make a difference at max output. You wont get as much gain in output at the highest frequencies, as comb filtering starts to come into play, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

You ought to see if you can borrow someone's 4x12 and try it out at least to try it out. The bonus would also be that you are ready to go should you buy a amp head in the future.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Seeing as there's a new page, I'm reposting what I had edited in before. Brief list of links to possibles. Give feedback please! And tronester, I'm really not a techie. At all. Just ask my LP Special II.

There's this Marshall...
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?it...mNumber=MAR4653

These Peavey's...
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemNumber=PEA1030
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemNumber=PEA8714A

This Ibanez...
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemNumber=IBA1804A

This Crate...
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle=crate-flexwve120&itemNumber=CRA0003B
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Okay...in order...

The Marshall link doesnt work (if it's an MG, it's crap), the first peavey looks like a Keyboard amp, no idea about the second peavey. The Toneblaster is crap, the Flexwave is crap.

Is 200 bucks really your spending limit? Think about making a bit more of a worthwhile investment. Gear purchases should be a step forward, not a step back.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 2, 2010,
Interested? Make me an offer..
Specs?
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
im gonna go ahead and say that the crate actually isnt as bad as people say it is (i own one) and you can get some good cleans and hard rock, metal sounds from it and its loud as hell.
i reccommend it and its definately better than a marshall MG
Gear:

Jackson DKMG pro
Schecter omen exreme 7
Tanglewood Che Guivara mk.1
Brunswick electro acoustic

peavey 412ms
some rack stuff
Look at the Vypyr's people have been suggesting....also check out VOX's VT series amps.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212