So yeah, had a debate about music with my dad tonight. Basically he is an engineer and believes that people will decide what music to listen to based in pleasure readings from their brains, eliminating all the 'hassle' of listening to music that you do not like.

I argue that this will remove a large element of pleasure from music and discovering new bands as pleasure is derived from failure, we appreciate our music even more because we have had the personal experience of discovering bands etc for ourselves even if we have had to listen to music that we do not enjoy.

What do you guys think?
Sorry if that was badly written and rambled.
I believe that there is a psychological or neurological element in it all.

For instance, writing or performing a particular genre will often give you more respect for it. I used to be one of those "Techno, and rap suck and so does anyone that even likes it" type.

Then I actually gave it mind and now I really enjoy hip-hop and electronica.

Not to mention experiences with particular songs effect how much you like it. For example, my ex and I used to listen to "Doolittle" by The Pixies all the time. It was "our" album, I guess you could say. Now I despise it just as much as that bitch.
When I first started listening to obscure metal, I thought it was craziness and very hard to continue to listen to, but the guitar work was amazing. I Ended up enjoying and learning the genre for what it was.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I really don't understand your side of the debate. At what point do you deny that people like certain types of music for neurological reasons? Even if you discover a band/type of music that you like, that's still your brain telling you that you like it over the other music you have listened to, isn't it?

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.
Quote by JacobTheMe
This is off-topic, but is UG running REALLY slowly for anybody else?

It's fine for me.

OT, I think you need to phrase your question a little better. I sort of get it, but not enough to actually answer it.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Not for me.

OT: I think that although music could theoretically be found by analysing brain waves, sometimes the brain "adapts" and starts taking pleasure of things that wouldn't give you pleasure before, and this does not happen instantly. I've had some radical changes in musical taste that sort of prove this.
i listen to the music i listen to because it makes me feel like i can do anything. and its badass.

i dont know what all this neuronshit is about.
Quote by JacobTheMe

I think it's just you.

As for the actual thread, I actually also agree with Jacob on this, especially on how experiences affect the way we perceive songs. We all have that one song that hits us profoundly hard, not because of the song itself, but because you somehow associate it with an event in your life. Alternately, a song that you associate with a good time in your life will make you feel good.

I also believe that finding music for yourself is a large part in the pleasure of music. Today, I realized that I like Aphex Twin, which is electronica(from that thread I made). Now who know what musical avenues that may open for me? So you're definitely right I'd say.
Quote by JacobTheMe
For example, my ex and I used to listen to "Doolittle" by The Pixies all the time. It was "our" album, I guess you could say. Now I despise it just as much as that bitch.

She sounds pretty TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMEE!
Wait, it sounds like you and your dad are arguing the same point. You choose music by listening and deciding if you like it or not, which you both agree on. Of course the pleasure centers in your brain would be working. What were you debating over?

Unless you're saying that in order to truly enjoy music, you have to listen to music you don't enjoy, which I think is unnecessary. (I'm not counting first listens - of course you have to listen to it to decide if you like it )
Quote by OOgly bOObly
people will decide what music to listen to based in pleasure readings from their brains, eliminating all the 'hassle' of listening to music that you do not like.
How does that work? Don't you have to hear it first, to get a "pleasure reading" from your brain?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I believe that there is a psychological or neurological element in it all.

For instance, writing or performing a particular genre will often give you more respect for it. I used to be one of those "Techno, and rap suck and so does anyone that even likes it" type.

Then I actually gave it mind and now I really enjoy hip-hop and electronica.

Not to mention experiences with particular songs effect how much you like it. For example, my ex and I used to listen to "Doolittle" by The Pixies all the time. It was "our" album, I guess you could say. Now I despise it just as much as that bitch.

did she have hips like cinderalla?
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by macmancometh
She sounds pretty TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMEE!

Yeah, but the whole relationship just went like some wave of mutilation.
If people only listened to music because they got "pleasure readings" in their brains, no-one would listen to this:

Or Napalm Death.
Quote by Minkaro
I swear I've read this exact thread before a couple of years ago, on this site, with the exact same people posting.

*goes to hide under his desk*
It's like deja vu all over again.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So basically starting to enjoy music you don't like is accepting that your being raped?

I mean at first you don't like it but then you learn to live with it and enjoy it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp