My friend has $800 to spend on an amp, he plays Metal/Metalcore, cleans are important, has to be new, and it has to be gig worthy.

Also, he won't listen to a word I say about not needing a stack and that he's wasting money if he pays for one. If you guys could agree with me as a group and give reasons, that would be great. He's a bit hard headed.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-Quad-100DFX-Guitar-Amp-Head-480799-i1172850.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-HV412-4x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-423633-i1517547.gc

The stack he's getting.

Revision: He WILL buy used, but from Guitar Center only.
Last edited by phlip999 at May 30, 2010,
With a budget of 800, it's insane to insist on a stack. It's also insane to insist on new.

If you went for a used combo, I could give you 5 suggestions that destroy anything you could find new.

Edit: Just saw the amp you edited in.

That's a joke. Why he would get a 300 solid state when you could get a used all tube head for 200 is beyond me.

Moar edit: I've decided the simplest way to convince him is to put together a list of what he could get if he went with a solid used combo.

Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX
Peavey Ultra
Carvin V3
Laney AOR
Last edited by denied at May 30, 2010,
That's what I tried telling him, he's just blowing his money.

Also, the new thing is going to have to stick, unfortunately. He's not planning to buy used, I don't know why, but he won't change his mind on that unless he can play that exact amp and it's amazing/you can't buy it new anymore.
That's a terrible choice with $800 to spend. He could get a great used combo for that. If he absolutely HAS to have a new stack, for another hundred bucks he could net a Valveking or something.

EDIT: and in all fairness, I can understand his insisting on new. I'm always leery whenever I buy used, too. And with new, if something fails, you've got the warranty to fall back on.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Last edited by kaosxrocker at May 30, 2010,
Dude. The feel of a tube amp is what makes it not even a debate with that budget.

I played the 6505+ combo today.
Blown away.

I might be selling medicine to the doctor here, but hear me out if not:
I hate it when people say they play metal, and their tone consists of the following - gain pushed to 10 on a Line 6 amp on the Insane setting, some Metalzone pedal, and/or a random metal looking guitar. I would take a crappy Squier and a tube amp over any of that, and the sounds that would come out of that would be miles better than anything else solid state with that money. And used is often better, because things are broken in. It took me 6 months to break my cab speakers in, and I regret blowing both the money and the time for buying it new. He'll do what he's going to do, but seriously. Its ridiculous to pass up all the new combo tube amps that are out this year, if not something bigger, better, and used with money to spare.
^ You just basically summed up my entire agrument with him. I even suggested the 6505+, but he said that it wouldn't be loud enough. Also, I laughed a bit when you mentioned the Spider 3 and Metal Core pedal, because that's what he's using right now (Spider III 120 watt and he's getting an MXR Fullbore with the stack).

Also (just in case he reads this):

I know you aren't going to listen, but if me, the guys at Guitar Center and the guys on here (some of which actually play guitar and are in bands ) are telling you to stop and think, don't you think that you should re-evaluate your choice on buying that amp? I'm just trying to stop you from buying something expensive only for you to hate it in 6 months and you can't return it.
+1 to the XXX and 6505 suggestions. $800 will get you a killer used rig....maybe not from guitar center...but the used market is full of great deals. $800 is what I paid for my XXX and Mesa 412 cab setup.
If he is too ignorant to listen and purchase wisely I would find a new guitarist. Frankly I walk away when I see a band roll in with shit gear. Even talent cant make up for terrible gear. Trust me a 6505+ Combo is plenty loud, a full stack is only 3db louder.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by FlyingPooooo
If he is too ignorant to listen and purchase wisely I would find a new guitarist. Frankly I walk away when I see a band roll in with shit gear. Even talent cant make up for terrible gear. Trust me a 6505+ Combo is plenty loud, a full stack is only 3db louder.

He's not MY guitarist, he's just a friend that I want to talk out of an $800 mistake. And I've also brought that up, and he says that's one of the reasons he wants the stack instead of the combo: the combo doesn't look professional, it's too small to be serious.
Sound quality > looks
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
tell your friend to f*ck a coconut for being so stubborn.
he apparently doesnt know anything.
Quote by denied
So heres my new idea.

Take him to guitar center. Plug him in through a JSX. And then watch his face light up. And then tell him he can have the beautiful beautiful amp. If only he will quit being a total retard.

There aren't any JSX combo amps at my Guitar Center, and they don't ship the used stuff around like they used to anymore. I totally would have done this, but there's just no way. The only decent used gear in his range over there is a B-52 AT-212 (which I'm saving for myself) and a Randall V2, but that's a head.
So plug him into the JSX half stack, who cares. Just make sure he knows it is above and beyond anything that shitty SS stack will do, and that theres an affordable combo of the same amp out there and waiting for him.

I don't understand why he will only buy from guitar center. Guitar center is a junk chain. They generally carry only the most basic gear at ridiculous prices. Their prices for used gear are unbelievable.

There is definitely a culture among guitar players with buying used gear. It's provides a way to afford higher end gear, and pass on what you no longer need. I don't see why this guy is too cool for that.
Quote by denied
So plug him into the JSX half stack, who cares. Just make sure he knows it is above and beyond anything that shitty SS stack will do, and that theres an affordable combo of the same amp out there and waiting for him.

I don't understand why he will only buy from guitar center. Guitar center is a junk chain. They generally carry only the most basic gear at ridiculous prices. Their prices for used gear are unbelievable.

There is definitely a culture among guitar players with buying used gear. It's provides a way to afford higher end gear, and pass on what you no longer need. I don't see why this guy is too cool for that.

He just trusts Guitar Center more. And I think I may be the cause of that, seeing as how the last amp I bought used blew up.

Also, I just checked, they don't have any JSX amps in, or any high end Peavey (except for the 3120) for that matter, just the Vypyrs and a 6505+ combo. They do however have two Bugera 6262's on the floor...