Goodnighttnight
335 IQ
Hey i'm learning scales and i'd like to know all scales Slash ever used in GnR + modes
whatadrag
Guitarist for hire.
2,501 IQ
A good place to start is the major and minor pentatonic. They are the essential rock and blues scales.
quinn_1888
UG Member
565 IQ
its all basically pentatonic with a few passing notes. The intro for the infamous Sweet Child Of Mine is based on the pentatinis scale of Em with a few passing note.

The scale I'm on about is

|----------------------------------------------------------------12--14--15-|
|------------------------------------------------------12--15----------------|
|-------------------------------------12--14--15----------------------------|
|---------------------------12--14-------------------------------------------|
|-----------12--13--14------------------------------------------------------|
|-12--15----------------------------------------------------------------------|

I think this is right lol
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned
338 IQ
Along with pentatonics and blues scales, he also uses some natural minor and the occasional harmonic minor. However, it's not scales that make a song sound the way they do; it's the way that the scales are used.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Goodnighttnight
335 IQ
I know pentatonic + blues and major + its 7 modes.
but there must be more ,
Like the scale used in sweet child o mine sounds like harmonic minor or melodic minor.
Also double talking jive has those spanish notes in that i don't know of.
Also i think he uses diminished 1/2

That can't be it guys

Also what is this natural minor scale , first time i heard of it ( does it have anything to do with harmonic / melodic minor ? )
Last edited by Goodnighttnight at May 30, 2010,
wisdom_cube
197 IQ
nah natural minor has a b3 b6 and b7. Its also called the aeolian mode.
Kurai X
Jason Becker die-hard fan
115 IQ
lololol

Natural minor is the regular minor scale.
It has the same notes as aeolian but is a different thing.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
SilverSpurs616
AKA VypyrVai
2,147 IQ
slash does use some "custom" scale that I've seen, I don't know the name. It's based on the minor scale but I THINK it had a raised 4th. I'm not a fan, this is just something I remember my friend looking at once. google "slash scale", might bring some joy

Ibanez RG1527 - Dimarzio Air Norton/Evo 7
Ibanez RG1XXV - Liquifire/Crunch Lab
Elixir Strings - Dunlop Petrucci Jazz picks

www.youtube.com/user/VypyrVai
Kurai X
Jason Becker die-hard fan
115 IQ
Quote by SilverSpurs616
slash does use some "custom" scale that I've seen, I don't know the name. It's based on the minor scale but I THINK it had a raised 4th. I'm not a fan, this is just something I remember my friend looking at once. google "slash scale", might bring some joy

A minor scale with a raise fourth? I think that'd be the blues note... so it'd be natural minor scale with a chomatic passing tone; the blues note.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
88naka
10 IQ
Minor pentatonic plus random added notes. Thats about it.
J.A.M
Sapping your sentry.
961 IQ
Quote by Goodnighttnight
I know pentatonic + blues and major + its 7 modes.
but there must be more ,
Like the scale used in sweet child o mine sounds like harmonic minor or melodic minor.
Also double talking jive has those spanish notes in that i don't know of.
Also i think he uses diminished 1/2

That can't be it guys

Also what is this natural minor scale , first time i heard of it ( does it have anything to do with harmonic / melodic minor ? )

The natural minor scale is the same notes as the Aeolian mode. And Double Talkin Jive could well be just natural minor, it's just played on a classical guitar. Pretty sure he doesn't use melodic minor, but there might be touches of harmonic minor in Night Train.

And that's it, he just uses pentatonics, major and minor scales. He's just very, very good at getting a lot out of just a handful of notes.
Call me Batman.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Ok, Slash doesn't use any modes at all. It's the truth - he doesn't play modal music.

Learn some GNR songs, and he'll constantly use major, minor and penatonic scales. Common runs of his are a combination of the blues and melodic minor scales.

So for example; Sweet Child of Mine uses the E minor, minor penatonic and melodic minor for the solo. No modes kids. If you think this song uses modes at all, it's time to relearn your theory.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
hunkychunk
10 IQ
Slash does use modes, though he might not realise it himself. For example the intro riff (and chord sequence) to Sweet Child O' Mine uses the D Mixolydian Mode (same notes as G Major).

The Major scale itself is a mode (Ionian) as is the Natural Minor scale (Aelion)
_LoveFuzz_
140 IQ
Quote by hunkychunk
Slash does use modes, though he might not realise it himself.

This is truth. The fast build-up run in Sweet Child O' Mine solo is also Mixolydian. The rest of the solo fits in the E minor scale fairly well.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by hunkychunk
Slash does use modes, though he might not realise it himself. For example the intro riff (and chord sequence) to Sweet Child O' Mine uses the D Mixolydian Mode (same notes as G Major).

The Major scale itself is a mode (Ionian) as is the Natural Minor scale (Aelion)

Quote by _LoveFuzz_
This is truth. The fast build-up run in Sweet Child O' Mine solo is also Mixolydian. The rest of the solo fits in the E minor scale fairly well.

No, he doesn't use modes, he uses accidentals, these are not the same thing. To use modes you have to be specifically playing modally in the first place.

And the major and minor scale may have the same notes as a pair of modes but their function and application is vastly different: they are not the same thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Ultima2876
233 IQ
To use modes you have to be specifically playing modally in the first place.

That's bullshit. That's like saying to play the 10th fret of the A string you have to be playing in the mindset that permits it - a mode is just a bunch of notes played with emphasis on a specific tonal centre. You don't need to be 'playing modally' to imply a specific tonal centre - if that tonal centre is implied and you're playing notes from mixolydian then you're playing in the mixolydian mode whether you think you are or not.
glenthemann
breifcase full of guts
1,220 IQ
Quote by AlanHB
Ok, Slash doesn't use any modes at all. It's the truth - he doesn't play modal music.

Learn some GNR songs, and he'll constantly use major, minor and penatonic scales. Common runs of his are a combination of the blues and melodic minor scales.

So for example; Sweet Child of Mine uses the E minor, minor penatonic and melodic minor for the solo. No modes kids. If you think this song uses modes at all, it's time to relearn your theory.

How do you mean he doesnt use modes at all when the natural minor is essentially a mode of the major scale?

scales and modes go hand in hand no?

I guess its just so common that no one considers something written in minor to be modal as if it were wirrten in phrygian or something else.

Correct me if I am wrong, and this opinion of mine has taken a long time to develop, but when using a mode you are simply taking the notes from one scale and shifting the focus to another note so it feels like its the root in your song. if youre just playing single notes its likely to simply just sound like the major scale the mode youre playing is based off of, which is why the backing track and your chord selection is so key in focusing your ear on the note which you want to be the root.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
hunkychunk
10 IQ
Well the intro chords are D, C and G which are the 5, 4 and 1 chords in G Major but D is the tonal center (home to the ear) here making this a D Mixolydian chord sequence. The same chords as used in Sweet Home Alabama by the way.

Theory is just a tool to explain and analyse what is going on, you don't have to understand it to be able to play music but it helps take the guess work out of it.
hunkychunk
10 IQ
Its all to do with emphasis, so even if you just play single notes with no backing you can make a Major scale sound like any of its modes by emphasising certain notes.

For example the sweet child riff (although using the same notes as G major) begins and ends on the D note as well as having it in each part of it so D is emphasised more than the other notes.

Even Blues guitarists use modes all the time such as the major 6th note from the Dorian mode when using the minor pentatonic scale.
malmsteensolo
199 IQ
Major and minor pentatonic scales, blues scales, major and minor scales. But 90 percent of the time he'll use minor pentatonic and blues scales for phrasing and soloing.
jsepguitar
21 IQ
Once you find out every scale Slash ever used, what are you going to do with that information?
willemhdb
23 IQ
Quote by Goodnighttnight
Hey i'm learning scales and i'd like to know all scales Slash ever used in GnR + modes

During the GnR era -- Minor and major pentatonic, with some special additions. In fact, you can very roughly break down his style into several components of the pentatonic scales that are used in certain ways (either bent, or with additional notes).

I suggest you read the trilogy series over at http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2010/09/06/slash-guitar-riffs-licks-and-tips/
hunkychunk
10 IQ
Yes he adds the major sixth to the minor pentatonic/blues scales, as do many blues players; the major sixth comes from the dorian mode! Of course Slash like most blues players won't think of it like this,to them it's just an additional note that usually sounds good.

Scales ain't music anyway, just tools/guidelines. It's more imporant to work on your own style, the world does not need another slash, what it needs are unique, original people. :
tepperboner
43 IQ
Quote by jsepguitar
Once you find out every scale Slash ever used, what are you going to do with that information?

Build a mediocre 20 year career around 8 notes?
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by Ultima2876
That's bullshit. That's like saying to play the 10th fret of the A string you have to be playing in the mindset that permits it - a mode is just a bunch of notes played with emphasis on a specific tonal centre. You don't need to be 'playing modally' to imply a specific tonal centre - if that tonal centre is implied and you're playing notes from mixolydian then you're playing in the mixolydian mode whether you think you are or not.

Exactly, and emphasising a specific tonal centre takes a lot more than just starting from a different note or playing one note more than the others.

Your harmony defines the tonal centre, and if your song is in the key of C major and resolves to C major then no amount of "starting on a different note" or "playing a Dorian/Mixolydian/Phrygian shape" is going to cause the notes C D E F G A B to be anything other than C major.

Slash uses the major and minor scales, anything else is simply him using his ear to choose notes outside those scales that will sound good in the context of everything else he's playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 16, 2010,
nickpgarner
10 IQ
Slash used primarily Minor/Major Pentatonic, with Flat 5th. He also used Harmonic Minor and Altered Phrygian with major 3rd (basicaly Harmonic Minor in Phrygian position)!
Sickz
Jazz Musician
1,594 IQ
Slash uses minor and major scales with a few passing tones, as already said. He does NOT use modes, cause he's not playing any form of modal music.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Slashiepie
Banged
492 IQ
My ****ing lord! you dare revive this monstruos abomination ?
Someone please send it over to MT where it will be disposed of apropiately.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 5, 2012,
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by nickpgarner
Slash used primarily Minor/Major Pentatonic, with Flat 5th. He also used Harmonic Minor and Altered Phrygian with major 3rd (basicaly Harmonic Minor in Phrygian position)!

Why da fuck did you necrobump this?
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Sickz
Jazz Musician
1,594 IQ
Quote by Slashiepie
My ****ing lord! you dare revive this monstruos abomination ?
Someone please send it over to MT where it will be disposed of apropiately.

My apologies. I saw it had been updated by someone and thought it was a new thread.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
So... Much... Wrong...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math