In the market for a new amplifier. Pretty low budget, around $400-$450. Maybe $500 but I doubt it. I need it to be able to play small shows un-miked (huge backyard). As for the style it is mostly alternative to metal. I've been looking at the Peavey Vypr series (100w and 60w tube). I played the 60w tube today and it sounds good to me though I dont know alot about amps and there might be better out there. Thanks for any help
The Vypyr is a good choice, but you may want to save up a bit more to get the Sanpera 2 footswitch to go with it.
Its not 100 tube, should have worded that better. Its 100w SSD or 60w tube. Is the tubes worth the extra $50 than the 100w Vypr?
Last edited by Sme11thegl0ve at May 30, 2010,
lol you're singer will def and mute!

I have the 30 watt and it could handle your prereqs. 60w tube is as loud or louder than the 100w SS.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Dang, looks like the 100w is out the picture. Are there any other brands in the price range I should look at?
Quote by denied
Um, yes.

Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey Ultra
Marshsall jcm900
Laney AOR

All of these are available in all tube combos that will destroy a vypyr.

He is playing Alternative to Metal

the AOR wont do brutal down tuned metal and the 5150 doesnt have good cleans for alternative and its over his budget. The Ultra is pretty ok but i doubt he can fit in a decent cab to go along the Ultra, and the ultra combo is pretty rare nowadays same with the JCM.

TS, i suggest sticking with the Vypyr Tube

EDIT:
TS, are you ok going used?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at May 30, 2010,
Hmm used. Not sure, Ive had really crappy experiences buying used. I'd rather stick to new. Looks like I'll most likely be getting the Vypr 60w tube. Thanks for all the help
Quote by Sme11thegl0ve
Hmm used. Not sure, Ive had really crappy experiences buying used. I'd rather stick to new. Looks like I'll most likely be getting the Vypr 60w tube. Thanks for all the help

Even if you cant/wont go used, the Vypyr Tube is still a good choice, brah.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
He is playing Alternative to Metal

the AOR wont do brutal down tuned metal and the 5150 doesnt have good cleans for alternative and its over his budget. The Ultra is pretty ok but i doubt he can fit in a decent cab to go along the Ultra, and the ultra combo is pretty rare nowadays same with the JCM.

Seriously?

I hate doing this, but I completely disagree with everything in that post.

the AOR wont do brutal down tuned metal

Alternative to metal. Where does that imply drop tuned brutal? If he needs something that heavy, it should be specified. The AOR is a fantastic budget amp that does heavy metal extremely well.

5150 doesnt have good cleans for alternative

If you can't EQ a 5150 for decent cleans, There are two possibilities. Either you have not spent enough time with that amp to be giving advice against it or you don't know how to use a global EQ.

and its over his budget

Really? Because I've definitely seen 5150 212s go for 400 before..with a 450-500 budget he could snag one easy.

The Ultra is pretty ok but i doubt he can fit in a decent cab to go along the Ultra, and the ultra combo is pretty rare nowadays same with the JCM.

Combos of both the JCM and Ultra are on both ebay craigslist pretty frequently actually..I've seen several of both over the last month.

In fact:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360265859007#ht_986wt_911

O
Well to my Defense the TS's music styles is very broad and he didint specify it clearly, secondly, he said that he is not comfortable going used so your suggestions are...... "denied"

...dont kill me

seriously tho, the TS is just starting out and IMO the Vypyr is still the way to go, Why? because:

1) The Vypyr has a wide amount of Amp models he can choose from, if he doesn't like one model he could just pick the other one. It also shows him the different types of amps in the world, which could help him in the future.

2) since the TS is just starting out, i dont think he has any(or maybe a few) FX pedals. The Vypyr can show him the different types of FX pedals, and while he is practicing in his free time he could fiddle around with it to learn about the different types of FX's, what FX's he likes etc.

3) He already said he cant go used and a NEW Vypyr tube is in his budget..... plus he can also get a warranty on it.
feel free to add me
Yeah, I don't exactly have a lot of experience. Only have been playing seriously for like a year and a half. As for pedals they are pretty limited, I have a weeping demon, and a Boss ds1 and boss ph-3(got both for free). Plus anything is step up from my fender frontman 25r, I'm still keeping an open mind to other amps in the price range but would like to keep it new.